#164914  by waldo041
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:46 am
Jimv wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm hearin you. Its a deeper understanding of what each element does/sounds like within the context of a particular circuit that I'm un-sure about. I guess this is where I should start breadboarding, really. Maybe some simple projects on the breadboard is the next step.

To some extent, but in a more pointed direction, the actually sound of the pedal and what it's pro's and con's come first. You need time with an instrument, amp, preamp, pedals, you name it and get a feeling for it. Then a reason to modify or upgrade may arise. You don't buy an effects unit/pedal, change all the insides before playing it and ask if it is/was worth it. If you build this pedal and find some fault in the frequency response, look into how to change that. If you just want to add bass, maybe a power supply filter capacitance increase may increase the bass response slightly enough to release that little bit you may have been missing. want to get rid of some noise floor maybe look at the first gain stage. yada yada yada.

A breadboard is a must if you choose to learn how to alter the circuits yourself, but a good tech should be able to listen to your beef and figure out how to remedy it. However, note that within a circuit there are no guarantees you will like what it does down the line where another mod may needed. Meaning, mods in one section may alter another section.

Best of luck! I still have my first breadboard and still use it!

~waldo
Jimv liked this
 #164916  by TI4-1009
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:18 pm
Here's my BYOC kit from a few years ago:

Suggestion- once you find out which are the key components you may wish to swap out, put sockets in those places so that you can easily A/B those components.

Also- as noted the BYOC discussion board is a great resource, very open and user friendly. But they will ask you the same question- "what don't you like and what do you want different from the stock result". "Better" ain't a gonna cut it.
tdcrjeff liked this
 #164919  by Jimv
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:05 pm
TI4-1009 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:18 pm
Here's my BYOC kit from a few years ago:

Suggestion- once you find out which are the key components you may wish to swap out, put sockets in those places so that you can easily A/B those components.

Also- as noted the BYOC discussion board is a great resource, very open and user friendly. But they will ask you the same question- "what don't you like and what do you want different from the stock result". "Better" ain't a gonna cut it.
Very cool! Did you add the tone control? The current design does not have this.
Killer graphic!