#164878  by Jimv
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:40 pm
Is it worth putting Vishay/Dale MF resistors in a BYOC Belton spring pedal as an upgrade? Same values, of course.
 #164888  by Jimv
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:45 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:53 pm
Depends
Depends on what is in front of and behind them, I suppose? Next question would be where does one draw the line? And in that, I suppose the answer would be everything but the "brick"?? :roll: 8)
 #164891  by waldo041
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:13 am
Jimv wrote:
waldo041 wrote:
Depends
Depends on what is in front of and behind them, I suppose? Next question would be where does one draw the line? And in that, I suppose the answer would be everything but the "brick"?? :roll: 8)
Modifications and Upgrades should really only be done when and if the work is needed. You posed the question if changing to Metal Film would be "Worth" it. My first question is what specific resistor, or do you mean all of them? next would be, What are you trying to achieve or what are you missing? That is what it depends really depends on.

~waldo
Jimv liked this
 #164896  by Jimv
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:55 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:13 am
Jimv wrote:
waldo041 wrote:
Depends
Modifications and Upgrades should really only be done when and if the work is needed. You posed the question if changing to Metal Film would be "Worth" it. My first question is what specific resistor, or do you mean all of them? next would be, What are you trying to achieve or what are you missing? That is what it depends really depends on.

~waldo
I just ordered the spring reverb pedal from Byoc. It has the newest Belton modual in it. I have not put it together yet. By looking at the parts, I was wondering if one replaced all or most of them with higher quality parts all of the same values, if I would get an ever so slightly better sounding unit when complete. It looks to me that I could put "premium" electrolyctic caps in, film caps, perhaps resistors, there is a couple opamps, diode, and a 5v voltage regulator. I am not experienced enough to look at these parts and tell if they are high quality parts or not. Im guessing they are maybe middle of the road. If I swapped em all out for better, would the pedal sound a bit better? It is a digi reverb, so details really seem to matter.
 #164897  by waldo041
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:01 pm
Jimv wrote:
I am not experienced enough to look at these parts and tell if they are high quality parts or not. Im guessing they are maybe middle of the road. If I swapped em all out for better, would the pedal sound a bit better?
Again, Depends, you could end up making it sound worse with this approach.

~waldo
 #164900  by Jimv
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:27 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Jimv wrote:
I am not experienced enough to look at these parts and tell if they are high quality parts or not. Im guessing they are maybe middle of the road. If I swapped em all out for better, would the pedal sound a bit better?

~waldo
Gottchya. Rad. So then better parts may end up having tighter tolerances and the circut may be designed around the parts used? Or something close to that?
 #164905  by waldo041
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 pm
Jimv wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:27 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Jimv wrote:

~waldo
Gottchya. Rad. So then better parts may end up having tighter tolerances and the circut may be designed around the parts used? Or something close to that?
Well, Metal Film is not "Better" than Carbon comp in some applications and the opposite in others. Same can go with different Capacitor Materials, Poly Pro is Crispier than Polyester, but it only matters in certain places usually within the signal path. Increasing or decreasing values, using different parts can render portions of the circuit different, and the list can go on. You need an idea as to what you want to modify and/or upgrade after knowing what you have first. second is knowing how to pinpoint the issue(sonically), then where it is(physically), then the possible fixes. Tolerances don't necessarily dictate better.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #164907  by PurpleTrails
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:01 pm
In my experience BYOC pedals sound pretty good as they come...and they usually indicate in the build instructions some of the more popular mods or version variations. If they don't sound good, it's usually because I botched the assembly job somehow.
Jimv, TI4-1009 liked this
 #164908  by Jimv
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:40 pm
I just meant replacing parts of un-known brand name/quality with EXACT same valued parts known to be of higher quality/brand name. No changes in any other way.
 #164909  by Jimv
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:11 pm
PurpleTrails wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:01 pm
In my experience BYOC pedals sound pretty good as they come...and they usually indicate in the build instructions some of the more popular mods or version variations. If they don't sound good, it's usually because I botched the assembly job somehow.
Yea, I did their Blaster kit and OD-1. Very happy with both. Just wondering.....
I suppose If it aint broke...
 #164910  by waldo041
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:06 pm
Jimv wrote:

That is not the idea at all! You can improve things no doubt, but you need to know how to do that. Just changing everything, or say just all the resistors right out of the box, what have you upgraded or modified? to you it would be a stock unit and you would never know what the other state was. Someone playing the same pedal with out that upgrade may say that the original is better, but you have no way to know that because you have altered the circuit before listening to it. You have nothing to compare the alteration to the original circuit to.

~waldo
 #164911  by Jimv
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:26 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:06 pm
Jimv wrote:

That is not the idea at all! You can improve things no doubt, but you need to know how to do that. Just changing everything, or say just all the resistors right out of the box, what have you upgraded or modified? to you it would be a stock unit and you would never know what the other state was. Someone playing the same pedal with out that upgrade may say that the original is better, but you have no way to know that because you have altered the circuit before listening to it. You have nothing to compare the alteration to the original circuit to.

~waldo
I'm hearin you. Its a deeper understanding of what each element does/sounds like within the context of a particular circuit that I'm un-sure about. I guess this is where I should start breadboarding, really. Maybe some simple projects on the breadboard is the next step.