#164589  by wayfaerer
 Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:35 pm
I'm having a body and neck built by Warmoth and am trying to decide whether to use a 22 or 24 fret neck. I'd like 24 frets but there are some tradeoffs I'd have to make related to body shape. The details aren't very interesting so I won't elaborate unless asked.

How often did Jerry get up to the last two frets on his 24 fret guitars? In videos I often see him up at 22, but not sure if I've seen him any higher. Put differently: For those of you with 22 frets on your main guitar, do you feel limited? And if you have a 24 fret, do you ever actually use the last two?

My main guitar has 22 frets and I never even get that high, but it's probably because the upper fret access is really bad and I have small hands which makes it difficult to reach.
 #164591  by PurpleTrails
 Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:40 pm
I have one guitar with 24 frets, and yes, I do get all the way up there at times, and there are a few times when I miss that little extra on my other guitars. Maybe more importantly, I find it easier to play around the 21st or 22nd fret on a 24 fret neck.

Having said that, I went for the regular 22 frets on a warmoth jerrycaster I'm currently assembling, both because you have to make some compromises regarding pickup positioning, and you can't get their pre-built bodies and necks in 24 fret configuration. I've tended to buy their stuff when it's been on sale, which can save a pretty substantial amount of money.
wayfaerer liked this
 #164595  by tcsned
 Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 am
I've got several 24 fret guitars, several 22 fret guitars, and an acoustic with 28 frets O_o I find that I play above the 22nd fret at the end of tunes occasionally and on the 28 fret acoustic to annoy my bandmates.
 #164598  by wayfaerer
 Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 am
Thanks for your thoughts! I'd better go for 24. My current guitars are all 22 and I feel a little constrained on occasion. Was just wondering if there is real merit in 24 for this type of playing, or if it was just a "grass is greener" thing.
tcsned liked this
 #164599  by tcsned
 Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 am
wayfaerer wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 am
Thanks for your thoughts! I'd better go for 24. My current guitars are all 22 and I feel a little constrained on occasion. Was just wondering if there is real merit in 24 for this type of playing, or if it was just a "grass is greener" thing.
If you don't have one, it is cool to try out. I didn't get any of my guitars because they had 24 or 22, it was kind of a secondary thing. Like I said, I don't use those frets much, that E note can be a little "plinky" but it's always good to have options. The one thing I found was that if you're gonna use a midi pickup and have 3 humbuckers it can get a little tight for space.
 #164601  by waldo041
 Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:45 pm

When they add the 2 frets on the Strat neck to make it a 24 fret they are extending the top of the fret-board over the pickguard only. The neck is not any longer, still 25 1/2" scale. Pickup placement for the neck becomes an issue when they extend the fingerboard out towards it.

~waldo
 #164869  by mgbills
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm
Hey Waldo! I recognize that pickguard PDF.
waldo041 liked this