#164539  by joshq
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:05 am
Hi All.. First, thank you to all those experienced folks who have been very generous with your guidance on this particular subject - it's very much appreciated. A hopefully straightforward question:

I had a slot scheduled with my wonderful tech to install an OBEL set up on my Strat; unfortunately (for me), she's moving across the country. She set me up with her colleague, who agreed it's pretty straightforward, but did pose this interesting question I'd not considered:

"Instead of using a mini toggle switch and drilling a hole in the guard, have you thought about using a push/pull pot? It will be audibly the same, but a bit more robust since most mini switches are weak in construction (IMHO). The volume pot would be an ideal location, playing and wiring wise."

I know the conventional route is a mini-toggle. Is there any reason to avoid a push/pull pot? Is it a matter of preference, or would there be practical reasons to avoid push/pull? Or, any particular mini toggle to recommend in terms of quality construction?

Thanks in advance!
 #164540  by waldo041
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:19 am
The switch is all you need, toggle, rocker, push/pull is all personal preference. Just to note, the toggle is just a motion in hopes of learning how to flip it on and off as needed. Watch Jerry play Estimated later and between verses he is flipping the envelope filter on and off with the OBEL toggle. It is more efficient in that regard.

YMMV,

~waldo
joshq liked this
 #164542  by joshq
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:07 am
Got it, thanks for the clarification, Waldo. I am inclined toward the ergonomics of a switch, as opposed to push pull. I'll see if I can track down a particularly sturdy switch.

Thanks also for the Estimated tip, I'll see if I can dig up an example. After all, that does seem like the ideal application for it, in the first place!
 #164543  by PurpleTrails
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:45 am
Poor Peter wrote:My OBEL is set up with push/push. Having used mini toggles also, the push/ push is a lot easier to control on the fly. For me anyway.
This is how I'm planning to set up my build. I wouldn't use a push/pull, as I've found that too hard to deal with for switching quickly from humbucker to split coil on some guitars I've played, and I figure the OBEL will be switched on and off more frequently than that.
 #164544  by bzbz
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:45 am
I'm lazy, and leave the OBEL on over 90% of the time, even if I play clean..... but I would still prefer the toggle
 #164545  by waldo041
 Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:53 pm
bzbz wrote:
I'm lazy, and leave the OBEL on over 90% of the time, even if I play clean..... but I would still prefer the toggle
I need to correct my initial response, the switch itself is only needed if wanted. what type is of personal preference, however, the OBEL does not need a switch for the circuit to work.

~waldo
 #164547  by joshq
 Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 am
waldo041 wrote:
bzbz wrote:
I need to correct my initial response, the switch itself is only needed if wanted. what type is of personal preference, however, the OBEL does not need a switch for the circuit to work.

~waldo
Makes sense, thanks for clarifying that. Though, if one were going to the trouble to install OBEL, might as well include a switch. Thanks everyone for the input 8)
 #164548  by waldo041
 Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:59 am
NO Switch

First Switch - Meaning that smaller knob is actually a switch, unverified rotary, but could be push pull. Verified OBEL switch though.

Toggle Switch
milobender, joshq liked this
 #164575  by MattMan
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:40 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:19 am
The switch is all you need, toggle, rocker, push/pull is all personal preference. Just to note, the toggle is just a motion in hopes of learning how to flip it on and off as needed. Watch Jerry play Estimated later and between verses he is flipping the envelope filter on and off with the OBEL toggle. It is more efficient in that regard.

YMMV,

~waldo
yup...and if you are not using a channel switcher, you'll get no pop/click that might get when stomp on the pedal to turn the effect on /off/on. Ideally, you are have a small pedal switcher on your pedal board so you can quickly tweak settings, or you have your effects at eye level like Jer did. I need to get a small pedal switcher for my pedal board to accommodate playing in small clubs.
 #164576  by TeeJay
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:55 pm
yup...and if you are not using a channel switcher, you'll get no pop/click that might get when stomp on the pedal to turn the effect on /off/on. Ideally, you are have a small pedal switcher on your pedal board so you can quickly tweak settings, or you have your effects at eye level like Jer did. I need to get a small pedal switcher for my pedal board to accommodate playing in small clubs.
Hey Matt how do you keep the pedals in the rack and only have a switcher on the floor? Like maybe 3 or 4 core effects on a small rack shelf.