#164450  by Jblue76
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:50 am
Hey all,
Both of these have come up somewhat local to me in Canada and while I wasn’t really ready to fork up for one of these, opportunity knocks on the right side of boarder for once (conversion, shipping and taxes crossing the boarder is brutal these days!) I’m considering possibly going for one of them but I need some guidance. I would be using my blackfaced ‘68 Twin as the preamp (which still needs a bunch of mods done to the preamp). Which model is preferable and what would be a fair price to offer for each of them? Here are a few details:

The MC250 was serviced by McIntosh Labs in Texas in 2007; I saw a picture of the work order. It says they: replaced transistors, terminal block, cleaned controls, switches, jacks. Calibrated, set bias. Cleaned Chassis. Tested all functions. Unit meets factory specs. It has seen almost no use since then, but the seller said she’s been using it with her stereo for the last week to test it and she says it sounds beautiful. Not sure what I could get the seller down to, but asking price is $1500 Canadian (remember conversion rate is around 40% right now so that would equal about $1130usd, which seems to me to be way to high; still, landed in Canada, even a $700 one from the States would wind up costing about $1200 Canadian).

For the MC50 I have less info. I believe it is all original and hasn’t been serviced. Cosmetically it looks great. I don’t know if I’ll be able to get anymore info on this one.

So which one would you go for and what would be a reasonable offer to make?
(Or should I just do the mods on my twin and use it’s power section?)
Thanks so much!
 #164451  by TI4-1009
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:59 am
What's your intended use? Bedroom? Small clubs? Rogers Centre?
 #164453  by waldo041
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:13 pm
Both great amps, and there is no right or wrong answer. The lighter option is the mc50. If i might suggest actually going the cheaper route to begin with and go with a MosValve MV-962. Recapped and mated properly to the preamp and you will have basically an MC50 sans Autoformer. But very useable for what you are looking to do. The Jerry magic is in the preamp not the power amp, that said, the power amp has a purpose and should not interfere or degrade anything the preamp is sending, same is said for the speakers used.

~waldo
 #164454  by tntawney
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:16 pm
IMOP think anything over $1000 for a MC250 is a stretch. MC50 is more portable, but you can get twice the wattage on a bridged MC250. Plus, on a MC250 you have a spare channel if one craps out on you. I would use the twin's power section till you can find/score one reasonably priced.

I'm sure you have seen this one on sale in Canada

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mcintosh-MC50- ... ctupt=true
 #164455  by Jblue76
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:30 pm
Thanks so much for the quick replies guys!

Intended use is home, a jam space, and hopefully before too long a couple of small gigs.

Would you say I’m better off going for the Mosvalve vs using the Twins power section? The twin needs some work (you’ve already given me great advice on that front) but it does have a sweet pair of K120s in there.

And totally, that one on eBay is the one I’m looking at.
 #164456  by Gr8fulCadi
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 pm
Price for the MC250 is way high, unless it is in immaculate condition. Meaning, chrome has no pitting or rust and looks an 8/9 out of 10. Otherwise you can fetch one for $700-800 on average and even lower here or there.

Good points from all, mosvalve cheaper option and still sounds great. MC50 for its portable aspect, but an MC250 is not that big either.
Think resale too, cosmetic condition is important. I like the Mc250 personally, and if you decide not to use it for a guitar amp down the road, well then you have a stellar power amp for a home stereo, a very slippery slope!! :D
 #164457  by waldo041
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:11 pm
With the addition of my own Mc2300, my back up amp choice went to the MosValve and my beloved Mc2100 now sits in my PA rack for the Monitors!

~waldo
Jblue76, TeeJay liked this
 #164459  by Jblue76
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm
Did a little poking around today. Seems like those Mosvalve Amps might be hard to come by. They pop up for sale here or there from time to time? Guess the plan will have to be to mod my twin appropriately and hang tight for a poweramp. Who knows, maybe I’ll even be satisfied once and for all (if that’s possible...) with the twin, power section n all.
 #164462  by Jimv
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:41 pm
Jblue76 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm
Did a little poking around today. Seems like those Mosvalve Amps might be hard to come by. They pop up for sale here or there from time to time? Guess the plan will have to be to mod my twin appropriately and hang tight for a poweramp. Who knows, maybe I’ll even be satisfied once and for all (if that’s possible...) with the twin, power section n all.
The Mosvalves pop up for sale fairly regularly. Expect to see one anywhere from 150-400. $200-$300 seems to be about average.
strumminsix liked this
 #164477  by Jblue76
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:14 am
Thanks so much guys!

Last question: Is it definitely better to go through the MosValve vs the Twin’s power section? It’s got all of the original glass in there.
 #164479  by strumminsix
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am
waldo041 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:13 pm
Both great amps, and there is no right or wrong answer. The lighter option is the mc50. If i might suggest actually going the cheaper route to begin with and go with a MosValve MV-962. Recapped and mated properly to the preamp and you will have basically an MC50 sans Autoformer. But very useable for what you are looking to do. The Jerry magic is in the preamp not the power amp, that said, the power amp has a purpose and should not interfere or degrade anything the preamp is sending, same is said for the speakers used.

~waldo
Bro, is there a difference between a MosValve 962 and TubeWorks 1160? I've owned both and they sounded the same to me. Know they have the same origins just rebranded as companies were acquired.
 #164481  by Jon S.
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 am
You've got so much great info. already here. I'll add only that my own MC50 was tested as putting out close to 75W pre-clipping which is damn loud (I didn't turn it up past half way even in the outdoor show in the pic - amp is to rear left), and is quite portable. So unless you need to be really loud, an MC50 is a practical option. (I had a custom Brady case https://www.bradycases.com/ made for mine which also gets compliments for its small footprint and solidness).