#164171  by bzbz
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:41 am
You are getting great advice around here - and the main point gleaning through the thread is very important:

The playing is primary, the effects secondary - if your base playing and techniques are lacking, there is danger in attempting to use effects to compensate - in this case, the effects become too important.

This is not my original metaphor, but the effects should be like an artist's palette of colors - the palette serves the art, it itself is not the art!

Anyway, have fun experimenting!
 #164192  by FOTM704
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:47 pm
Lots of good advice in here. Honestly, OP, you can get close enough with a clean sound and the right EQ settings. Most of the people on this board have spent years chasing Jerry's exact tone (and done a brilliant job at it).

You can get close enough to sound like Jerry without all the rare equipment (just look at John Mayer)
 #164196  by Jon S.
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 am
In my initial reply to Jim in this thread, I wrote, “Also relevant to your decisionmaking will be whether you need a combination of effects suitable for covering Jerry only, or require or prefer greater versatility.”

(To this I could add, do you have the desire, financial means, and transportation/”back” (if you gig regularly) for multiple guitar rigs, each of which is driven by the philosophy of genre equals gear, or all things considered, do you prefer a single rig that emphasizes versatility over perfection?)

Jim, unless I missed it, you never answered answer my question directly. I’m curious, still, as to your response.

In another ongoing thread, https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f=346&t=19955, its OP, strumminsix, wrote, “I'm sure we all have non-GD musical passions. … Anyone else have non-dead type gear that inspires them to play?”

If you play all Dead and only Dead (and JGB), that’s a different beast from playing a variety of music by diverse artists. If the latter, one's tonal goals and tools are correspondingly broader.

If guitar playing for you is all about, and only about, playing Jerry’s music, to keep using your current Strat through a Fender amp and focus on your repertoire and technique is a legitimate response. The same if you have no means or desire for multiple rigs.

On the other hand, if you routinely play a wide range of music and need to be able, in addition to playing Dead, to cover the tones of multiple guitarists from Hendrix to The Edge, a quality, versatile multi-FX unit is not merely helpful – it’s essential.

As bzbz also posted here, “the effects should be like an artist's palette of colors - the palette serves the art, it itself is not the art!” Very true! A palette in the hands of someone lacking the need or skill to apply it is useless. But at the same time, an artist without a palette is hamstrung.
strumminsix liked this