#164006  by Gypsykid136
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:22 pm
Anyone know what the silver toggle switch on Jerry’s Mu-Tron III did? Can be seen in the pictures of his 90s rack but the labeling is just a bit too blurry for me to make out.
 #164008  by waldo041
 Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:17 am
Gypsykid136 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:22 pm
Anyone know what the silver toggle switch on Jerry’s Mu-Tron III did? Can be seen in the pictures of his 90s rack but the labeling is just a bit too blurry for me to make out.
Extra switch? looks like the footswitch is missing.

~waldo
Gypsykid136 liked this
 #164013  by Gypsykid136
 Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:20 pm
Oh...right on. I was thinking the switching system would take care of that. But all the other pedals have their original stomp switches intact so you guys are probably right about that since the Mu-Tron has that contour to it and the way it’s mounted eliminated the original switch. I was thinking it had to do with the gain stage of the Mu-Tron but I bet you all are probably on the right track. Thanks!
 #164016  by waldo041
 Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 pm
The writing on top of that toggle switch says IN and the bottom says OUT.

If the floor controller failed the backup would be the switches on the pedals themselves.

~waldo
 #164017  by playingdead
 Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:29 pm
waldo041 wrote:
If the floor controller failed the backup would be the switches on the pedals themselves.
That's an interesting take on it, Waldo. If the controller had failed would all the loops have been already interconnected so his signal ran through every device by default? Or would they have had to be rewired from behind the rack so they were?

Did they just gut the Mutron and mount the face on the rack panel? I suppose there isn't much down in the foot of it besides the on-off switch. Or did they build it into a new enclosure? Doesn't seem to be enough room for the whole chassis above the phaser. I wonder if they kept a spare that would fit the hole ready to go, too.
 #164018  by waldo041
 Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:05 pm
playingdead wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:29 pm
waldo041 wrote:
That's an interesting take on it, Waldo. If the controller had failed would all the loops have been already interconnected so his signal ran through every device by default? Or would they have had to be rewired from behind the rack so they were?

Each loop was relay controlled so that they were always on "in circuit", so if it fails the OBEL stays intact and allows you to toggle the effect with it's switch by hand. The controller when used allowed you to toggle the relay for each loop in and out of the circuit remotely. Cutler actually re-purposes what i think is some Roland Midi foot-controller for the floor unit and obviously custom machined and wired it all up into the new rack unit.

~waldo
playingdead liked this