#163961  by playingdead
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 am
Was checking out this Standing on the Moon from Oakland 12-6-89 -- Jerry on the Wolf! -- and noticed that about halfway through the ending solo, when he already has the overdrive on, he moves over and steps on a pedal and the sound instantly gets more choked. Curious if that was him turning on his second overdrive pedal (if he had one at that point), or activating on of the Boss EQs to boost and scoop it, or maybe turning on the Turbo feature on the OD2-R if that was in his rack then (although not sure if he had a switch to do that).

Cannot link the video to start at the solo.

Killer solo. I could live without the sax from Clarence Clemons, but different strokes as they say ; )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQuX6bH ... u.be&t=444
Jblue76 liked this
 #163965  by MikeMcA
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:06 pm
Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for a clear example of Jerry stacking OD's. The action occurs at 08:22 BTW.

Per https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... 15#p104116 we should be in OD-1/OD-2 territory here. The EQ pedals came later. So I believe what's happening here is he starts out in his distorted tone (OD-1) then adds the overdrive (OD-2, upstream from OD-1) to kick it up a notch.

Great reference for knob twiddling. Thanks again!
 #163966  by playingdead
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:31 pm
Makes sense. Apparently the OD-2 did not become the OD-2r till 1994, at least according to Reverb -- the "r" standing for "remote." Which isn't to say his couldn't have been modified to be able to turn the Turbo switch on separately. The Turbo switch does dramatically increase the drive. I have one gathering dust around here somewhere, actually. LOL
 #163968  by MikeMcA
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:00 pm
It's counterintuitive because you think "turbo" he must be using it for tons of gain. Both the OD-1 and OD-2 can get that "woody" drive sound with the gain dialed back to almost zero but the OD-2 sounds a little better to my ear. I'm still working on my drive sounds but currently I've got my OD-2 with the turbo switch on, level at 2pm, tone maxed, gain at a hair above zero and it sounds pretty good. Going back and forth between the OD-2 and the D+ 2000 series the 2000 is a little more neutral I'd say and the OD-2 a little more "nasal" and "woody." All these terms we try to come up with are kind of funny but hopefully you know what I mean. The late 80's Jerry OD sound.
 #163969  by waldo041
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:05 pm
Top shelf remote foot controller is stage left of his mic stand. 1-2-3-4
Bottom shelf foot controller is stage right of his mic stand. 5-6-7-8
(stereo 1/4" stereo jack on the stage right foot controller that runs back through the cabling back into the cutler rack mounted switching box to another 1/4 stereo jack in the rear, there were 2, one on each foot controller, but the right one was only used for the remote phase foot controller.)

Known Overdrives used on the Top shelf 1st position (before the introduction of the Boss OctDiv which would stay in the 1st position unlike the pedal it replaced the Mutron OctDiv).
Boss DS-1
MXR Series 2000 Dist+(possibly modified)
Boss HM-2
Boss OD-2

Known Distortion pedals used on the bottom shelf

MXR Script Distortion+
Boss OD-1

~waldo
 #163974  by waldo041
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:36 pm
playingdead wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 am
Was checking out this Standing on the Moon from Oakland 12-6-89 -- Jerry on the Wolf! -- and noticed that about halfway through the ending solo, when he already has the overdrive on, he moves over and steps on a pedal and the sound instantly gets more choked. Curious if that was him turning on his second overdrive pedal (if he had one at that point), or activating on of the Boss EQs to boost and scoop it, or maybe turning on the Turbo feature on the OD2-R if that was in his rack then (although not sure if he had a switch to do that).

Cannot link the video to start at the solo.

Killer solo. I could live without the sax from Clarence Clemons, but different strokes as they say ; )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQuX6bH ... u.be&t=444
both.

EQ's when used were in series after each individual unit it was attached to. When he used both he was able to control the feedback by moving around using it as an effect at will. Each had it's own individual use, but together created the "effect" you hear when both used at the same time, next add humbucker. I think the EQ's helped him to perfect it. I have yet to try acquire my own od-2 for experimentation but the series 2000 modified does a great job in that spot so i have not really needed or wanted to go that much further. One day perhaps...

He only has 8 position's, the EQ's don't fit into the equation in their own slots.
~waldo
 #163979  by playingdead
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:36 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:36 pm
EQ's when used were in series after each individual unit it was attached to. When he used both he was able to control the feedback by moving around using it as an effect at will. Each had it's own individual use, but together created the "effect" you hear when both used at the same time, next add humbucker. I think the EQ's helped him to perfect it. I have yet to try acquire my own od-2 for experimentation but the series 2000 modified does a great job in that spot so i have not really needed or wanted to go that much further. One day perhaps...

He only has 8 position's, the EQ's don't fit into the equation in their own slots.
~waldo
Waldo is, as usual, the Answer Man!

Did the EQs appear when he got rid of the shelves and went with the vertical rack? So if he wanted to use them, he could step over and press them on or off with the heel of his hand? Or where they on all the time? I guess you could tell whether the LEDs were lit.

So in the last period, what were the 8 slots he was using?

Octave, Mutron, Phaser, OD1, OD2, wah, ADA, Whammy? Or was the Whammy cabled right to the wah, which would probably make more sense in terms of running cables, since he used both infrequently. How was he handling the tuner output? I've always had mine in the effects loop so I can turn off the guitar volume and still be able to use the tuner, I presume he would have done the same.
 #163992  by waldo041
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:28 pm
playingdead wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:36 pm
So in the last period, what were the 8 slots he was using?

Octave, Mutron, Phaser, OD1, OD2, wah, ADA, Whammy? Or was the Whammy cabled right to the wah, which would probably make more sense in terms of running cables, since he used both infrequently. How was he handling the tuner output? I've always had mine in the effects loop so I can turn off the guitar volume and still be able to use the tuner, I presume he would have done the same.
The Cutler "90's" rack mount switcher had led's for the in(red) and out(green) of each position. So during some of those videos when he is using the rack you can see what he has on and listen for it. The OBEL may not be engaged so you may have to wait. But there are plenty of great videos out there that show this. Also, if you look very closely to the rack just above the effects are stickers with a number on them, it is between the od's with the eq's showing both of those pedals in series in one position, over each pedal which is it's corresponding position to the switcher. Of course since there are a couple of effects on the floor(wah and whammy=2 additional separate effects) and the ada delay unit in the rack, the order is not really set in stone especially since #8 sticker is above the phase 100! You can sort of make those stickers out in this picture, there are crisper shots out there that you can clearly read what they say. I used this picture because it shows you also how his tuner switcher was wired and where it was, he used the same type of device since the 70's. Simple guitar input to a switch that has the tuner on one side and the amp on the other side. You have to make sure you short the output to ground to the amp when you have the tuner in it's position on the switch. This eliminates the bleed-over. Orange cable goes to his guitar, Black short cable to the tuner, Blue short cable to the TRIO. easy peasy.

Last edited by waldo041 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.