#163754  by franklins_timmy

Got rid of my Blues Jr. a little while back, was going to try something different for the small/low watt tone. Changed my mind and am going to get a Blues Jr. again. Was going to give the new version IV a try, but not so sure. To me it seems to have lost that Fender Chime with the updates... thoughts? Is it just me... but seems like the older versions do Jerry tone better?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NA-wGXRMMw
 #163757  by strumminsix

Personally, I never thought the BJr got close enough to the BIG FENDER clean sound and was very far from the Jerry sound. Think the DR is a great choice for a lower wattage JG style amp. If you want really low wattage try a Dr Z Maz 8. Great chimey cleans at low volume. Perfect to throw a mic on at a gig.
brbadg liked this
 #163759  by Bigfoot Co.

strumminsix wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 am Personally, I never thought the BJr got close enough to the BIG FENDER clean sound and was very far from the Jerry sound. Think the DR is a great choice for a lower wattage JG style amp.
Agree. If going tube combo for ballpark Jerry, the power tubes’ name should start with a 6. Deluxe reverb +1
strumminsix liked this
 #163760  by brianb

I have a '76 Deluxe Reverb with a JBL D120F speaker and it sounds really good at lower volumes.
 #163767  by jgraum

You can still find a quality vintage 64-65 Princeton(no reverb) for pretty good prices. Stays clean all the way to 10, especially if you upgrade the speaker ( I put a 12inch baffle in mine and an alnico gold). Spanky. Chimey....annnnd Its a great vintage piece that will hold or even increase in value.

Skip the new BJ. They aren't nearly as good sounding as the originals.
sw72, strumminsix, brbadg liked this
 #163910  by Alligator

I think the hot rod deluxe is much better for Jerry. Dump the bass, treble and mids up, very easy on the verb. If you can't get a jerry tone with a strat with that set up, then I dunno man.
Trecia liked this
 #163914  by PurpleTrails

Try out the tweed version of the Blues Jr if you want to stay with new/cheap gear. It's a significantly better sounding amp than the regular version IV for just a little more coin.
 #165614  by Whatwouldjerrydo

I just got the western tolex limited edition with the cannabis rex speaker and i love it. Its at least my 4th jr and by far the best. They fixed the rattle and the reverb is about as good as i could ask. It dont wash out till higher. And is not noisy. At least on this special edition amp they fixed all the stuff i hated

Running a sarno earth drive into it. Although jerry is one of my favorite players by far. Im primarily a country player but i like a little grit. So the twin thing was never my bag. And im my own guy with my own tone that pushes into blues and southern rock. The jr is great for the money. but i will build a sarno rig one day.

Ive been running the master wide open the volume very low turning the bass and mids all the way off working the treble around 3-5 and using knobs on gtr and have been real happy with it. Not conventional but it works.

Blues jrs ive found either work best with all the tone knobs cranked pass 7 or way low. That normal 4-7 ranges i run on black/silver deluxes and princetons dont do.
 #165632  by brbadg

I don't know why folks always think of the Blues Jr first before the Deluxe ( or Princeton).
It's like they're chicken to go for the real amp instead of the toy.
Having said that,Pro Juniors are definitely not toys.
jgraum liked this
 #166430  by B_elston

Has anyone here tried any of the BillM mods in the new IV Jrs. ??? Specifically the TO20 output transformer???