#163543  by SellaV93
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:12 pm
I found an old diagram for the obel switching box here and thought i'd give it a shot. No luck. I drew the diagram over again because the original was confusing me. The switch lugs were numbered incorrectly (i think.) I always thought the horizontal middle -row lugs were the commons (so, 2, 5, and 8?) So i can't get this thing to do what it's suppose to. Others have apparently had luck with the original photobucket-stamped diagram. I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong even with a LAYOUT (UGH!) I posted the original RUKIND layout and the one i re-worked. Any tips, corrections and pointers are very welcomed. Thanks in advance for all the help i desperately need in literally putting together the very last piece of the puzzle.

It's pretty, i just wish it worked!
 #163568  by SellaV93
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:08 pm
At this point i would paypal someone for a diagram or a quick "how to." I'm starting to wonder if the wiring in my 2xTRS guitar jacks is contributing to the issue. Followed the M. Wald diagram. Everything has worked great otherwise, so thats probably not the issue. Switched ring and tip around in different combinations as an attempt at troubleshooting. Doh. :?
Jimv liked this
 #163571  by Jimv
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:36 pm
im not an expert at this as others here are but... are you troubleshooting w a multitester?
 #163573  by SellaV93
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:54 pm
I am. I wired up the box according to the original diagram in the mean time. Turning the switch 90 degrees so the first lug is on the bottom left. I thought that would work but nope. There isn't a whole lot of info around the web about this. Obel breakouts being a very specific thing etc. etc.
 #163574  by Jimv
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:35 am
SellaV93 wrote:I am. I wired up the box according to the original diagram in the mean time. Turning the switch 90 degrees so the first lug is on the bottom left. I thought that would work but nope. There isn't a whole lot of info around the web about this. Obel breakouts being a very specific thing etc. etc.
well.... i hope someone else corrects me if i am wrong.... if i was in your situation, id understand the switch. there is stuff on the web on these foot switches. then id redraw the layout from what you learned about the way the switch works. the diagram posted doesnt look right to me, unless its completely over my head. i have similar diagrams on my pc but alas, im posting this from my phone. if you dont find what you are looking for, ill look for one on the morrow. what you are trying to do is fairly simple. if i am understanding you, you understand the switch. i think its not layed out right. in one position its essentially a bypass, right? signal goes to output. in the other position, signal goes out of box ...returns and goes to same output of position A. basiclly you are sending the signal one of two ways (a/b) to end in the same place..... oh i melted one of the poles on a footswitch once! things got really interesting. sorry im not more help dude. youll be freekin jazzed when you get it! im fairly new w electronics so i hope you figure it out or someone else chimes in.
 #163575  by waldo041
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 am
until you show us how your box is actually wired with a picture, we can be of no help. the layouts work, so if you have it wired like those, AND the switch orientated the correct way, it should be working. We can only verify that right now not looking at your work.

if you overheated the switch, it may not be working correctly.

~waldo
hippieguy1954 liked this
 #163586  by Jimv
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 pm
oh yea, i see. your going back to the pots on your ax. makes sence to me after a couple zzs. yea, send a pic, man. you'll get straitened out.
 #163587  by SellaV93
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:35 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 am
until you show us how your box is actually wired with a picture, we can be of no help. the layouts work, so if you have it wired like those, AND the switch orientated the correct way, it should be working. We can only verify that right now not looking at your work.

if you overheated the switch, it may not be working correctly.

~waldo
Thanks for the suggestion, i'll put up some pictures using different color wire when i have a few minutes. To easily illustrate everything. The switch i have in there now is checking out okay. Tested continuity between middle row and top/bottm row with multimeter. I have seen switches get all wonky when melted though.
 #163600  by SellaV93
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Does this look about right? i found a 3pdt toggle from an old project to use rather than the stomp switch. I didn't want to wire it up again until i could be sure i was doing it correctly.

I used this lug map

Jimv liked this
 #163612  by waldo041
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:40 am
Of the 2 you posted, which layout did you use? your layout matches neither of them?

~waldo
 #163616  by SellaV93
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:36 am
I used the original photobucket stamped one. If thats not how you wire it then i have no clue how to do it. I don't know i should be reading that switch. The lug map i posted is how every 3pdt switch is oreinted on any pedal diagram ive ever followed. Anybody care to help me see what is so obvious that i can't see?
 #163618  by SellaV93
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:46 am
3pdt switch. How the lugs work from side to side. Numbered lugs.

Junction box that is verified from rukind

wires going from jacks to corresponding lugs on switch. Using the numbering of the lugs from original diagram. One on the diagram matches one on the switch. Two on the switch matches two on the diagram and gets jumpered to lug 6. four matches four. five matches five etc. What am i failing to understand?

#163619  by Bigfoot Co.
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:53 pm
Cool lookin box!

If I were you I would wire it up and send a pic.

What is the guitar end of this equation?

All cables tested and good?
 #163620  by SellaV93
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:02 pm
Thanks! well that last diagram is how i was going to wire it because i wanted to make sure it was correct before any soldering was done. And that was a good idea because that diagram is apparently incorrect. The guitar end of the situation is a guitar with the straight tiger wiring.

There's not a whole lot of advice that people would give me on any other forums. The conversation would turn towards "what is obel?" and "why would you wanna do that?" and "well you should just build a true bypass box"

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
 #163625  by Jimv
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:47 pm
I think you get the switch orientation correctly. Yea, I'd wire it up and send drawing of guitar wiring if you have it.