#163257  by Pointclear
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:00 am
Does anyone here have experience or insight into using the mid 70’s Harman Kardon Citation 16 as a power amp in a Jerry rig? I’ve got a line on buying one and it seems like a truly viable alternative to the Mac 2300.
 #163258  by Gr8fulCadi
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:45 am
Not sure what you can buy it for but for roughly the same (?) coin give or take, couldn’t you just purchase a MC2100 and know for sure it’ll be the ticket? Unless you want to experiment, then go for it and let us know the results.
Worst case scenario, you can sell it or have a power amp for a home stereo system if it doesn’t jive with the Jerry rig.

Good luck and hopefully someone has some experience with that power amp. :cool:
 #163895  by Pointclear
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:48 pm
I finally got around to testing the harmon Kardon citation 16. It is awesome. I plugged my fender concert’s line out into and it is sweet, sweet, sweet. Perfect.
I did a simple preamp tap on my modded 73 twin reverb (just before the phase inverter input cap, and it’s great - but the bass is a little looser than I’d like. I’m going to tap it on the other side of the phase inverter cap next and see if that will help tighten things up a bit.
I haven’t pulled power tubes on the twin yet, and I am a little hesitant to do so with everyone recommending upgraded filter caps etc. to accommodate the higher voltages. Higher filter caps may tighter the bass as it is.
The concert amp has a different line out that comes off the output transformer and speaker jacks. It feel more balanced and tighter than the way I’ve tapped the twin.
 #163899  by Pointclear
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:50 am
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/insid ... ifier.html

Here is a nice little review on the amp. No autoformer transformer, which is something only macs have, but it’s got a lot going for it. The musicality and sweetness factor is pretty huge.

I’ll post some clips as soon as I get it dialed in. I spent all night thinking about and researching different ways to tap the twin reverb.
 #163901  by Jon S.
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:13 am
Apparently this guy has a restoration service going for your model amplifier (I have no personal experience with it, just saw it on eBay): https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARMAN-KARDON- ... :rk:1:pf:0
 #163936  by waldo041
 Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:14 pm
I think the seller is undercutting himself, if my math is correct there are 2 boxes in that auction with custom corners to separate them. That is what i see in my research thus far on the subject.

~waldo