#163137  by mkaufman
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm
Sorry in advance of this has already been asked.

Ignoring early years, my understanding is that Jerry primarily used the middle pup for leads (please correct me if I'm wrong). Alligator had a single middle coil pup. Wolf initially had a single middle coil pup. Later, he used a split humbucker in the middle for Wolf & Tiger.

Assuming all guitars had the same 25.5" scale length, wouldn't this mean that the actual location of the pickup used for lead varied based on single coil vs. split humbucker. In the case of a single coil pickup, it would be equidistant to the neck & bridge pickup. However, when splitting a humbucker, the split coil wouldn't be equidistant as it would be slightly closer to the neck or bridge pickup, depending on which coil was active.

In the case of the split humbucker in the middle, did he use the coil closer to the neck or bridge? Is there an optimal distance from the nut that should be used for single coil or split humbuckers?

tx,
ace
 #163141  by TI4-1009
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:32 pm
I'm pretty sure that half the threads on this board are about the micron-to-micron location of Jerry's middle pickup. :lol:
 #163146  by hippieguy1954
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:38 pm
TI4-1009 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:32 pm
I'm pretty sure that half the threads on this board are about the micron-to-micron location of Jerry's middle pickup. :lol:
I'm pretty sure Waldo is the only person who took measurements from his Moriarity and posted them.

From the link I posted above:

"from the front of the nut (fretboard side).

middle of neck = 20 1/2"
middle of middle = 22 1/4"
middle of bridge = 24 1/16"

peace,
waldo"
 #163152  by tntawney
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:05 am
I would wire it so you could use either side of the coil and pick which one sounded better. Or, use Waldo's measurement and use whatever side is closest to 22 1/4 " But, Gary Brawer said that he tried to always wire it for the side closest to the neck. I Googled it due to boredom at work.

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?t=6352
 #163155  by hippieguy1954
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 am
mkaufman wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37 am
How does that compare to the middle single coil position?
It's been stated many times that Jerry used the split middle pickup a lot for leads and rhythm. He also used the other pickups quite often for leads. He used his whole palette for leads. When any of the humbuckers were split, the consensus is that the coil closest to the neck was active.
Waldo's measurements are from the nut to the middle of the humbucker pickups (between the two coils), so the side of a middle "single coil" pickup facing the bridge would be 22 1/4" from the nut, as that would be the same as between the two coils of a humbucker with the coil closest to the neck being active. :wink:
Jimv liked this
 #163156  by mkaufman
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 am
I think I understood what you said. Please excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse.

For a guitar with (3) single coils, assuming the middle pickup is directly centered between the neck & bridge pickups, wouldn't the middle pickup be slightly farther from the nut than the active coil in a split middle humbucker pickup? If so, how much of a tonal difference would that make?
 #163157  by hippieguy1954
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:38 am
mkaufman wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 am
I think I understood what you said. Please excuse me if I'm beating a dead horse.

For a guitar with (3) single coils, assuming the middle pickup is directly centered between the neck & bridge pickups, wouldn't the middle pickup be slightly farther from the nut than the active coil in a split middle humbucker pickup? If so, how much of a tonal difference would that make?
Stock Strat measures 22 1/16" from the fretboard side of the nut to the side of the middle pickup facing the bridge. That 3/16" is not going to make much difference IMHO. What guitar are we talking about anyway?
 #163165  by waldo041
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_harmonic

Yes, it does matter, but not all will "hear" the difference. Matt's advice about using the ON/ON/ON switch will help allow you to hear that difference, and choose for your own needs "if" you can tell a difference. But that said Jerry's used the traditional stock Dimarzio wiring for the coil cut but the physical placement is flipped so that the the coil on the neck side is active for both the Middle and the Bridge when coil cut.

~waldo
hippieguy1954, MattMan liked this
 #163174  by hippieguy1954
 Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:13 am
waldo041 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_harmonic

Yes, it does matter, but not all will "hear" the difference. Matt's advice about using the ON/ON/ON switch will help allow you to hear that difference, and choose for your own needs "if" you can tell a difference. But that said Jerry's used the traditional stock Dimarzio wiring for the coil cut but the physical placement is flipped so that the the coil on the neck side is active for both the Middle and the Bridge when coil cut.

~waldo

+1 Unless you are looking for Alligator tone. :wink:
 #163176  by hippieguy1954
 Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:48 am
mkaufman wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:04 am
"Unless you are looking for Alligator tone."

?
Alligator is a stock Strat as far as where the pickups are located.

Stock Strat measures between 22 1/16" and 22 1/8" from the fretboard side of the nut to the side of the middle pickup facing the bridge.

Tiger is 22 1/4" from the fretboard side of nut to the middle of the humbucker.

That is a difference of 1/8" to 3/16" from Tiger middle pickup location. Must have something to do with Alligator tone!