#162861  by franklins_timmy

So I am getting ready to buy a Bluesbaby 22 to use for low volume Jerry tone. Want to give it try and see if it does act like a valve amp, clips sound pretty good. https://www.award-session.com/bluesbaby-complete.php

Have a question... I asked when the amp will breakup with the master on 12. They said at about 5 or 6 and went on to say "What we can do is make sure the preamp stays clean until after the power amp distorts when the MASTER is on 12". What does this mean, is this going to make much difference/have more headroom, is it worth having them do?

When I asked them to explain... "We can 'hold back' the input gain so the amp is less sensitive. You can then use heavier output PUs with a cleaner tone but you'll have to turn up the DRIVE control higher to get the amp to go into preamp distortion".

I'm confused, don't know much about this stuff just a player. If it will give me more clean headroom it is something I am interested in but if it is not going to make much difference then no need to mess with it. Any help would be appreciated.