#162531  by gratefulredhead

Hey all,

This clip is Help>Slip>Franklin's from last weekend. Recorded on someone's phone, but if you use headphones it sounds pretty good!
I'm curious what you all think of my approach to the song and my guitar tone. Constructive criticism welcome! I can take it...just don't talk about my horrible guitar faces. :)

I appreciate the time it takes to really listen to a clip this long, so thank you. Our bassist is worth the price of admission though! Byron Stevens- he's a monster. New to the Dead, doesn't copy Phil but I love his playing.

https://youtu.be/vYQhsWdwxos

I hope you are all well! I haven't had time to be n here much of late. If anyone ever wants me to provide feedback, I'm happy to reciprocate!
 #162538  by gratefulredhead

TeeJay wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:22 pm Pretty f'n good for a Hawkeye. :cool:
Haha! Thanks man! Honestly, I don't even pay attention to the teams, it was just a gig to me, but living in Iowa City, that is heresy! Peace!
 #162543  by strumminsix

Hi! Firstly, nice clip. Band sounds like it's a ton of fun to be in. Your bass player was a blast to watch. I'm surprised more people weren't getting down. Y'all had that energy.

Couple thoughts:
- playing and approach sounds good overall. Maybe missing an upper mid / presence sparkle and then you can reduce volume so it's not piercing.
- technique, try the right hand claw technique to limit notes and hit at same time especially in the "poised for flight" parts .
- vocally sound like you run out of steam at the end of lines.
gratefulredhead liked this
 #162548  by MattMan

Hard trip for sure to play. You guys pulled it off. You sound like you were fending off a cold-- your voice is smoother. Guitar work was hot. Great Slipknot tone. Clean tone is working well for me just need a hair more reverb. Note selection was good. Lots of Jerry style chromatic with good melodic approach. None of the pentatonic Mayer still plays that irks me. I'm missing just a bit more swing in your picking. That's been my practice focus. Jerry is just amazing with the swing, even on the Slipknot runs he's swinging them. Franklin's too can really exaggerate the swing. I think I'm swinging too much but then I hear back and it's just right. So don't be afraid to play more swinging right hand technique with more legato. I always try to warm up with the swing and legato of Dark Star or Bird Song before I play this stuff. Overall solid performance. Something to be proud of! Still looking to do a Midwest Winterland + Deadicated mini tour!
 #162550  by tcsned

Sounds great. . . for a ginger :)

I have a Mosvalve that I was using as a backup. It didn't seem to have as sweet of a tone and seemed to make me work harder to play but I didn't notice any real difference in videos or other recordings. I would say the same with yours. Your playing is excellent.

It sounds like you're recorded direct to mixer. The one thing tonally I am noticing is that if you're going for Jerry tone that it could be a little brighter and edgier if that makes sense. If you are recording mic'd into mixer it could be the way your channel is EQ'd. I think your tone is great and I'm not one to go for the exact tone just one I like.