#162505  by IRangASilentBell
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm
I had two recommendations recently. If you have any suggestions on which one or a different one entirely I would highly appreciate the input. Thanks

1) MU-TRON Micro-Tron III
2) Elecro Harmonix Q-Tron
 #162510  by somedirection
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:01 pm
another vote for #1......

I have a newer gen Q Tron (not the old silver/green..came in wooden box onw) and it sounded really great. Very chewy. But it didn't have an output level control (so had to put one in it) and it has a giant footprint.

Microtron has been good for me, like small footprint. One of them crapped out on me (haven't sent it back yet) and I went back to my TruTron which I am liking a lot. Living with the footprint. So there's another option if you're open to a #3.....

Des
 #162519  by PurpleTrails
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:44 pm
kralltime wrote:I have them both on my board - mutron has the edge, but the Q is quite useable.
Pretty much the same experience here, though my Qtron is the Plus version.

Beyond the sonic and footprint differences, not having to have a 24v or whatever it is power supply running to the Qtron makes it a lot more functional on a board...and way easier to deal with if your power supply craps out on you.
 #162615  by Lephty
 Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 am
+1 on the Proton. Pretty sure I have tried just about every envelope filter on the market, and the Proton is the one I ended up sticking with. The Q-Tron was pretty good but IMO it was built cheaply, and rarely made it through more than about 3 gigs before it crapped out on me (this was one of their older models). I finally gave up on it and literally threw it in the dumpster behind the venue. The other nice thing about the Proton (vs. the Q or the Mu or the Mooger) is that it is compact and doesn't take up half your board.

In my experience, EF's are touchy, and respond differently to different guitars, different amps, different signal chains, etc., so YMMV.
 #162618  by strumminsix
 Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 am
waldo041 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:46 am
The best optos are in the original mustronics mu-tron III. But wtf do I know, ymmv.
YES!! Without a doubt.
Lephty wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 am
In my experience, EF's are touchy, and respond differently to different guitars, different amps, different signal chains, etc., so YMMV.
I've found the same. That's exactly why I tossed out the idea of the Proton if the holy grails aren't doing it for him :)
 #162644  by ac4468
 Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:23 am
Ok more importantly, is anyone selling a Micro-Tron? My Q+ crapped out last night. I had planned to replace it but the schedules been moved up :-) and they are out of stock with none on Reverb and ebay's are $500-$600.
Seems like there are some Protons on Reverb but no Micro-trons.
 #162797  by barefootdave
 Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:18 am
I will sell you my vintage Mutron 3 if you want, havent used it in years...
Last edited by barefootdave on Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #162799  by Jon S.
 Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:49 am
barefootdave wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:18 am
I will sell you my vintage Mutron 3 if you want, havent used it in years...

Call me if you want, i dont check this board very often lately...

[deleted]
Dave, a recommendation to consider deleting your phone # from your post here. (Bots* scour the 'net 24/7 for this type of personal info. and then who knows where and to whom it goes. I'll also call you now re: this.)

Spybots: Also called surveillance or data mining bots, spybots are utilized to collect data and information from a person (surfing habits), website or company. The information gathered is usually sold to a marketing firm, rival company, etc. http://www.tech-faq.com/internet-bots.html