#161454  by ShinyAntelope
 Sun May 27, 2018 6:39 pm
I saw some posts about the Axe-Fx for Jerry Tone but have not seen anything regarding getting Jerry's tone on a Line 6 Helix with success. Has anyone tried one and if so what did you think or observe about it?

Thanks,
Shiny A.
 #161559  by FOTM704
 Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:14 am
I just bought a Line 6 HX effects (same as helix but without the amp and cab models--jusy the effects) and I'll say that the Mutron model "mutant" is a dead ringer for the real thing. All the knobs are the exact same as a real Mutron III as well. It's crazy accurate.

There is a RAT model, phase 90, and octave divider model as well that I've yet to try but I'm sure they are spot on. This thing is great.
 #161594  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:41 am
I'm not a Jerry guy but own a Helix and here's my set opinions:
- amp/cab/mic/room modelling = very good
- FX modelling = very good
- routing and customizing and setup ease = very good
- reverb = serviceable

For the Reverb reason alone I think this would not be a great choice for a Jerry rig unless you planned on getting reverb from an external source.

However, I will say for most folks this is not a deal breaker.
 #161664  by ShinyAntelope
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:49 pm
Thank you both for the replies,

I could use the reverb on my VR which is excellent. I wonder if there is any sort of JBL cab/speaker emulations? When I looked it up I didn't notice any but saw a 65' type amp.

I had to get rid of an early version of the Q-tron maybe 6 years ago because it was bleeding tone in bypass mode.
Rather than buy another Q-tron it might make more sense to start investing in some version of the Helix.

I am curious about how you perceive it's warmth and organic tube qualities? Do you notice digital artifacts in the tone or is it as good as many people are saying?
 #161684  by strumminsix
 Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 am
IMO:
1) I'd go AXE FX before starting to add pedals.
2) you need to rethink what you are listening too. if you can imagine you are listening to a perfectly mic'd high quality amp in an iso booth, you are set

you can buy IR's. http://www.redwirez.com/bigbox.jsp MD421 + JBK D120 behind a Twin will get you in the ballpark.
waldo041 liked this
 #161810  by ShinyAntelope
 Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Got an email for the waiting list and ordered the AX8 today plus an EV ZXL-12P to run it through. Ax should arrive Tueday.

My cousin in the Stone Jack Ballers has used the EV for 5 or so years now with the AX II with great results so hopefully it will be a good pairing with the 8.

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. Cheers
strumminsix liked this
 #161840  by strumminsix
 Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:07 am
ShinyAntelope wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Got an email for the waiting list and ordered the AX8 today plus an EV ZXL-12P to run it through. Ax should arrive Tueday.

My cousin in the Stone Jack Ballers has used the EV for 5 or so years now with the AX II with great results so hopefully it will be a good pairing with the 8.

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. Cheers
Hey man, only you can decide if right direction. But search for PlayinDead here. That's Vic. He uses an Axe with great results.
 #162915  by MikeMcA
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:25 pm
I've been tinkering with an 80's Jerry on my Helix in parallel with putting together my real rig. I'm using the Twin pre into a Roland JC120 and a JBL D120 IR. The base tone sounds pretty OK-ish although it wouldn't fool anyone who was paying attention.

I'm struggling with the effects still. I can't get the Mutron even into the ballpark and none of the distortions really seems right. I could loop in my actual pedals but I'm stubbornly trying to see how close I can get just within the Helix.

I'm also getting some unmusical distortion on certain lower midrange notes when I hit the strings hard. I need to run that down because it's unpleasant.

It's not to the point yet where I'm comfortable sharing it publicly but if anyone wants to compare notes or help me tinker message me and I can send the files.
 #164311  by Lephty
 Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 am
I did a gig this past weekend filling in as "Jerry" w/ a band here in CO called Peak2Peak. While I have played, and continue to play, a lot of Dead covers, I have never really gone for a straight "Jerry" tone per se, figuring that there are other guys out there who have done it far better than I ever will. But I recently picked up a Helix LT, and thought this would be a good opportunity to see how close I could get to Garcia's sound. And I feel like I'm getting pretty close.

I should say first of all that I borrowed warlock1965's settings above for the Mutron, and it worked well for me. Not perfect, but far and away the closest I have gotten w/ the Helix. So thanks for that.

As for the basic sound, I used the Archetype Clean amp (master & channel volumes dimed, gain on 1.2, and the bass rolled off), a Twin JBL D-120 IR from Redwirez blended with the stock 412 Uber V30 cabinet (the D120 IR gave me the bite that I wanted, but was too cold-sounding, so I warmed it up by blending in the other cab). A Minotaur for a clean-ish boost and another Minotaur for a little more OD, some plate reverb and some ambient delay. And that's it. No additional EQ or compression, no amp onstage--we had IEM's, the Helix was plugged directly into the P.A., and I had a little powered P.A. speaker onstage for some stage volume.

So with the disclaimer that I had never played with these guys before, and that doing a straight "Jerry" thing is a bit outside of my usual wheelhouse, I uploaded a couple of tracks to Soundcloud. It ain't just exactly perfect, but I think it shows that a Jerry tone is in the realm of do-ability with the Helix. If anyone is interested I can share the preset on Dropbox...would be great to get some feedback...perhaps if we crowd-source this thing we can get pretty close to the real deal.

Althea
https://soundcloud.com/highcountryguitar/althea-1

R.O.Rose
https://soundcloud.com/highcountryguitar/ramble-on-rose

China/Rider
https://soundcloud.com/highcountryguitar/china-rider