#160666  by Incaroads77
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:52 pm
what are all the physical materials i need to set up the buffer and obel in a strat. i have a super distortion and a super two and im putting an old cs69 in the bridge. what caps and pots and dpdt switches and other stuff do i need?

i know thats alot to explain, but im gonna worry about setting it all up at a later date, but i need to know what all the materials are that i need to buy
 #160680  by MattMan
 Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:55 pm
Incaroads77 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:52 pm
what are all the physical materials i need to set up the buffer and obel in a strat. i have a super distortion and a super two and im putting an old cs69 in the bridge. what caps and pots and dpdt switches and other stuff do i need?

i know thats alot to explain, but im gonna worry about setting it all up at a later date, but i need to know what all the materials are that i need to buy
Use this diagram: http://deadicated.us/obel-circuit/

Parts (this assumes you have a passive guitar, e.g., Fender pups. EMG pups are already active so you don't need buffer or volume pot or 25k volume pot).
1. DPDT On/On Mini (this is the OBEL swtich)
2. 2 x Switchcraft or similar stereo female jacks (One is for OBEL Send/Return other is for Output to amp--both are stereo jacks, the OBEL stereo jack uses a stereo cable but the stereo output jack uses a mono cable)
3. 25k log volume pot (you want the potentiometer that has the same length as your current pot so you can use the same knob).
4. Wald buffer
5. 9V battery terminal
6. OBEL breakout box and guitar cables (one stereo for effects loop and one mono for guitar out to amp)--recommend buying breakout box and stereo+mono cable bundle from https://iocustomguitars.com/ or http://hubbubpedal.com/

Wiring strat involves taking off the strings, taking off the pickguard, drilling small hole in pickguard, finding room for 9V battery and bufer, completing some soldering, making new jack plate to replace the fender jack plate, replacing volume pot with 25k pot, replace mono output jack and with two stereo output jacks (one for guitar out and one for effects loop).

Instructions.
1. Take off pickguard and drill hole for the DPDT OBEL switch (1/4" bit I think). Make sure the switch is going to go someplace where there's room and where you can easily flip the switch. Look at my strat to see where I put the switch which is where I like it. Insert switch. http://s345.photobucket.com/user/MattMa ... sort=3&o=0
2. Unsolder the old volume pot and replace with new volume pot.
3. Unsolder the output jack.
4. Find space in cavity for wald buffer (I put my batter in the back spring cavity because I don't have any springs for the tremolo--so you'll run the 9v terminal wires to the back). Some people mount the buffer, but I let it losse (the buffer will be covered in electrical tape after you wiring it in). I use foam to cushion the battery so it doesn't move.
5. Complete the soldering according to the circuit schematic.
a. Output lug from the 5-way pup selector goes to the buffer in (blue).
b. Output of buffer goes to OBEL swtich lug 5 (yellow).
c. Ground of buffer goes to ground (Jerry used a thick copper wire to create a central ground from lug 3 of the volume pot to the ground (sleeve) of the stereo output jack--note a mono guitar output cable is used and connects to amp. The other stereo jack is the OBEL jack--note a stereo cable is used here and connects to the OBEL breakout box...
d. Power to the buffer goes to the + battery teminal (Red)
e. OBEL switch. I used number of 1-3 for top row and 4-6 for bottom row. 1 + 4 have jumper soldered between to connect them. 2 goes to lug 1 of volume pot. 3 (green) goes to tip of OBEL jack. 6 (blue) goes to ring of OBEL jack.
f. Output jack. Tip goes to lug 2 of the volume pot. Ring goes to neg on 9v terminal.
g. Make jack plate from aluminum tin cans--trace shape of existing jack plate, glues two pieces of aluminum together, use tin snips to cut, file to smooth, drill jack holes.
Last edited by MattMan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #160684  by Incaroads77
 Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:44 pm
jesus christ thats alot. I wont be doing this myself. I installed the cs69s on my strat, but im not sure i can tackle this. Hopefully showing this post to my local guitar tech will help him figure it out at least a little bit.
 #160716  by TI4-1009
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:04 pm
Gratefuldad1971 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:24 pm
Thanks Mattman! I appreciate the detailed instructions you shared in your response . Just what I was looking for...

Just one more reason I love this forum! Thanks for your YouTube videos as well, sure is some tasty playing for sure.
Note to Incaroads77: Now THAT's the way to reply to a guy that just took quite a bit of his own time, knowledge, and energy to give you all the information you had requested.
MattMan, joeriz, TeeJay liked this
 #160754  by Incaroads77
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:16 pm
obviously i took note of how long that took to type. Which why i said "jesus christ thats a lot" and then said "hopefully showing this to my guitar tech will help" which indicates that without his help writing that post, id be shit out of luck with this project. People have different ways of showing their appreciation. This is the only site i use for info on guitar and amp questions because i trust the people here and they are more knowledgeable and polite than the people at places like TGP. Kinda silly to single somebody because they didn't say thank you in the way that you prefer.
 #160755  by Incaroads77
 Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 pm
I was more than thankful for a detailed list on the tools and materials i need. That is the only definitive list of instructions on installing OBEL and buffer in a strat on this entire site.
 #160764  by TI4-1009
 Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:05 am
Incaroads77 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:16 pm
they didn't say thank you

bingo!
 #160771  by tntawney
 Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 pm
Incaroads77 wrote:
I wont be doing this myself. I installed the cs69s on my strat, but im not sure i can tackle this. Hopefully showing this post to my local guitar tech will help him figure it out at least a little bit.

You should collect the list of parts and try it yourself. Since you have done some wiring, it shouldn’t be too tough. Thats the fun of it . If it becomes overwhelming, then take it to a tech or I’m sure anyone on this forum should be glad to help.
 #160775  by PaulJay
 Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:39 am
Excellent list and instructions by Mattman. I for one will copy and paste to use on the next project. It should be archived on this site for future generations. Thanks Matt, it is fitting that you named you band Deadicated. 👍
MattMan liked this
 #160788  by Incaroads77
 Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm
tntawney wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 pm
Incaroads77 wrote:
I wont be doing this myself. I installed the cs69s on my strat, but im not sure i can tackle this. Hopefully showing this post to my local guitar tech will help him figure it out at least a little bit.

You should collect the list of parts and try it yourself. Since you have done some wiring, it shouldn’t be too tough. Thats the fun of it . If it becomes overwhelming, then take it to a tech or I’m sure anyone on this forum should be glad to help.
I'm becoming more and more enamored with soldering and learning about he capacitors and resistors involved in achieving the tone. I think i probably will give this one a shot myself. I'm a little hesitant to work on the tone stack of my dual showman, but i'm more hesitant to take it to a "tech" that will charge me labor prices to do the things that i essentially already understand. We shall see how it goes.
 #160818  by MRiley99
 Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 pm
I had never soldered or worked on my guitars and I accomplished it using Waldo's schematic. Practiced on the pots I took out of the guitar for a bit, took it slow and checked and double checked everything. I would think if you'd installed pickups before you would be fine. Cutting the new pickguard was the toughest part.