#160521  by TI4-1009
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 pm
Mithrandir wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:06 pm
I think I will go with a 12' radius either throughout or up to fret 10 or 12 and then use 14 or 16 from there.
I'm not an expert in compound radius, but I had always understood it to be a gradual change over the length of the neck, not a sudden change?
ac4468, strumminsix liked this
 #160542  by Mithrandir
 Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:02 am
TI4-1009 wrote:Mithrandir wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:06 pm
I think I will go with a 12' radius either throughout or up to fret 10 or 12 and then use 14 or 16 from there.
I'm not an expert in compound radius, but I had always understood it to be a gradual change over the length of the neck, not a sudden change?
I was talking to august west about his wolf necks. He's a forum user here who makes INCREDIBLE wolf replicas: He goes, " 1 11/16"

12" radius from the nut to about 17, then it flattens out to about 15" the rest of the way.

I like a thin, fast neck, so that's how I shape them. A "C" shape, but I shave off the shoulders more than you find on a standard C neck like the strat I have. I do it all by hand, and all by feel, because comfort is king!"
 #160545  by augustwest1
 Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Well, since I've been quoted here, I might as well clarify what I said.

T14-1009 -- you are correct that with a compound radius, the changes occur over the course of the entire length. Not fret by fret, of course, but section by section, and from start to finish.

I'm not building Mithrandir a guitar. And in casually responding to his question about how I build my necks, I did not describe my fingerboards as being a compound radius because the aren't -- so his posting of my PM really isn't a response to your observation T14. Fact is, I make fingerboards with a 12" radius from start to finish. However, at the fret leveling stage, I also "ramp off" the last 6 or 7 frets so that, for example, the 17th fret is slightly higher than 19, which is slightly higher than 21, etc., etc. That allows for super low action, if that's what you're after. In the course of ramping off those frets, I also flatten them from the center out toward the A & B strings -- reducing the 12" arc -- which mimics the effects and playability of a compound radius but it is not, technically at least, a compound radius in the way that I think most people use the term.

I didn't invent the technique and while I don't really know, I assume it's a fairly common one (since both of the builders I've really watched on YouTube utilize it). I love the results, and I like owning exactly one sanding beam!
Bear62 liked this
 #160567  by augustwest1
 Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 am
Finally -- a photo that really shows the binding under the fingerboard. Thanks Waldo!!

A little hard to tell, but looks a lot more like a "D" shape neck than a "C". Some seriously worn frets too.
 #160568  by ac4468
 Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:15 am
Thanks! It’s definitely a very defined carveout to accommodate the veneers and have them still flush with the back of the neck.
 #160569  by ac4468
 Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 am
On a side note, with perfect non-angled pictures, you can bet I’ll be going home to scale the know dimensions of the Schallers tuners to this image to get the definitive first fret neck and binding thickness. Once I have the binding thickness i can get the neck thinness at the body from the other images. Case closed (except for the profile :-x )