#160847  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:55 pm
joethepainter wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:52 am
Rusty the Scoob wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:39 am

Huh! The prices on bass strings are actually really good, it's hard to beat $15 for 4 string or $18 for 5 string and get strings that aren't garbage. I don't use a ton of roundwounds but I have a set on my blue-sparkle P-bass that I use for '82-'83 and they're really nice - well balanced, great tone, feel nice, etc. Not a hint of pitch-wobble, they intonate perfectly. I hope he keeps making them!
Hey Rusty, I have a quick question for you...I have an Ibanez acoustic bass, and the strings are ready for changing. I'm NOT a bass player, but I pretend I am in my home studio. Anyway, do you have a recommendation for what strings to use? I think Elixers are on it now, don't really like the feel of them, plus they sound kinda dead (not in a good way!)
Any guidance you could offer would be most appreciated! Thx
I'm not a great source for this question, I still have the stock strings on my Guild acoustic, I bought it maybe 9 months ago and don't use it that much. I did ask a bass-player friend who I trust, and he had asked Rick Turner, who said any flats will do, or he had a special brand that I believe he helped develop specificially for ABGs. But so far I'm still rolling with the stock strings and I'm not really in love with it, it's just a handy tool for campfire and backstage jams.
Rick was working with Thomastik for his strings for the Renaissance bass. They definitely have a different feel.

Not sure what I would use. Maybe a half-round?