#160092  by mikelawson

Gonna take a while to get used to the bell-like clean of this rig. SMS Classic JG, MC50, custom-built 1-12 Trucker style cab, K120 JBL, Furman power strip. Just got it home. Gotta go through pedals and rethink some settings. The MC50 has a custom-made breakout box with OHM switching from 4,8, and 16, and an effects loop in case I ever want it for something. Its all pretty badass.

patdog, Funky145, joethepainter and 3 others liked this
 #160093  by Jon S.

That IS badass! :cool:
 #160103  by Jon S.

#160115  by Searing75

I have the exact rig man! Except, I occasionally use a Carvin DCM200L for an amp because with my failed back surgery, even an MC50 is too much! But, congrats on your nice little compact rig!
mikelawson liked this
 #160116  by Searing75

Bigfoot Co. wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 pm Nice one. Is that a 6u rack? Also, Is the mc50 secured to the rack?
Looks to me as though he has a rack shelf on the bottom of the case, and the MC 50 is secured to that shelf probably with nuts and bolts out of the bottom cage of the amp. Easy peasy.
mikelawson, Bigfoot Co. liked this
 #160117  by mikelawson

Bigfoot Co. wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 pm Nice one. Is that a 6u rack? Also, Is the mc50 secured to the rack?
Yes, 6U rack, and the MC50 is secured to a 2U rack shelf. There is a breakout box behind it, also secured to the rack shelf, with the speaker out jacks and a variable OHM setting.
Bigfoot Co. liked this
 #160118  by mikelawson

Jon S. wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:56 am Looks like a Gator GR-6S:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gLMwPD_BwE

eBay import imitation https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Rack-Case- ... 2749.l2649
 #160119  by Jimv

Hey Searing,
I am in the process of putting together a small jerryish influenced rig. Waiting happily for my SMS to arrive. Right now, I have a tonetubby purple haze and I am working with a cheap version of a single rack space linear amp, (artsla-1, comments welcome on a different forum) with hopes to eventually end up with a mc50, just for the unique tone. In the meantime.... I was wondering what your approach to the jerryish sound was with the dcm200l. Are you using any kind of "clean" overdrive pedal to simulate amp limiting/clipping/breakup? I am drawn toward total volume control without tone change. I play in a variety of settings from livingroom to "crank it up up up." In an attemp to build a super clean machine, I am wondering how people with linear amps add a touch of color towards jerryness. - Jim ..oh, I am getting Brads Earth driver as well with the sms.
joethepainter liked this
 #160120  by joethepainter

Jimv wrote:Hey Searing,
I am in the process of putting together a small jerryish influenced rig. Waiting happily for my SMS to arrive. Right now, I have a tonetubby purple haze and I am working with a cheap version of a single rack space linear amp, (artsla-1, comments welcome on a different forum) with hopes to eventually end up with a mc50, just for the unique tone. In the meantime.... I was wondering what your approach to the jerryish sound was with the dcm200l. Are you using any kind of "clean" overdrive pedal to simulate amp limiting/clipping/breakup? I am drawn toward total volume control without tone change. I play in a variety of settings from livingroom to "crank it up up up." In an attemp to build a super clean machine, I am wondering how people with linear amps add a touch of color towards jerryness. - Jim ..oh, I am getting Brads Earth driver as well with the sms.
Hey Jim,
I'm not Searing, but I have an SMS and Carvin, and I use an EHX Soul Food always on, dialed in for boost and a touch of grit, puts a little hair on the tone when I dig in.
It really helps at lower volumes, the Carvin sounds too clean without it, IMO.
 #160121  by Jon S.

An SMS + DCM200L (like mine, below) in a Gator 2U short rack weighs literally about 17 lbs. In this pic, it's sitting on a TRM Hard Trucker-style pine 2X10 w/a pair of Weber NeoMags, also small and lightweight. So many options!

joethepainter liked this
 #160126  by Jimv

Thanks Joe. I have that pedal. Good to hear I am heading in the right direction. Im kinda picky about clean overdrive so between the soul food and the earth drive maybe I'll get what im looking for. Seems like many of those pedals add upper mid. I love the soulfood through blues jr. When I used it through a ss fender, not so nice. When the sms comes I'll give it another go. Super hopeful about the earth drive too. Building the rack and speaker box now.... hehe
joethepainter liked this
 #160128  by Jimv

Awesome rig Mike. Looks SUPER portable. ... Hows the tone at lower volume?
mikelawson liked this