#159568  by WokeUpDead

caspersvapors wrote:For your situation e120s in your twin would be overkill, you are never going to play somewhere where you can push those speakers that hard
Yes you are probably right. A twin at all is hard to use live considering the bars I play in. But on the other hand for the price of $137 each for like new speakers it seems that I won't likely find K's for that price so what is the downside? Is it because they won't sound great unless used at a very high volume?

The new Weber Californias 12's would be about the same price as these JBL's so do people think they would still be a better fit? Weber's site says not to try to use the speakers with distortion at all. That description doesn't sound like they would be a good choice but it would seem people aroudn here use them to get that Jerry tone and rave about them so..
 #159569  by gratefulredhead

WokeUpDead wrote:
caspersvapors wrote:For your situation e120s in your twin would be overkill, you are never going to play somewhere where you can push those speakers that hard
Yes you are probably right. A twin at all is hard to use live considering the bars I play in. But on the other hand for the price of $137 each for like new speakers it seems that I won't likely find K's for that price so what is the downside? Is it because they won't sound great unless used at a very high volume?

The new Weber Californias 12's would be about the same price as these JBL's so do people think they would still be a better fit? Weber's site says not to try to use the speakers with distortion at all. That description doesn't sound like they would be a good choice but it would seem people aroudn here use them to get that Jerry tone and rave about them so..[/Webers.
Yes that's basically the issue. The ceramic drivers on those e120 s really don't sound good unless you're pushing them pretty hard. Not to mention they weigh so much more than the alnico drivers of the K series or the Webers I really can't recommend the Weber alnico Kelly more highly. They are a fantastic speaker. Of course if you can find a K series JBL by all means but they're getting harder to find in good condition. I got lucky and got one that had never even been recone and barely used in its lifetime but that's rare.
 #159570  by Searing75

My Weber Cali’s sounds nothing like my JBL’s! When you push the Weber’s, they sound like buzzy, tinny cardboard compared to the JBL’s. I do not recommend the Weber Californias at all. Very disappointed in them. The Chicago’s are a much better speaker, but save yourself the headache, and find a pair of Decent K120’s.

Just buy one K120, and pull two output tubes in your Twin. You will be happy.
Last edited by Searing75 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #159571  by gratefulredhead

Searing75 wrote:My Weber Cali’s sounds nothing like my JBL’s! When you push the Weber’s, they sound like buzzy, tinny garbage compared to the JBL’s. I do not recommend the Weber Californias at all. Very disappointed in them. The Chicago’s are a much better speaker, but save yourself the headache, and find a pair of Decent K120’s.

To each his own of course but I couldn't disagree more. I can post some amazing sounding videos with my Cali 12. When I get a chance I'll do some recordings of a b and post them I certainly don't have a tin ear and if they sounded like garbage I would know it. But again to each his own
 #159572  by WokeUpDead

Searing75 wrote:My Weber Cali’s sounds nothing like my JBL’s! When you push the Weber’s, they sound like buzzy, tinny garbage compared to the JBL’s. I do not recommend the Weber Californias at all. Very disappointed in them. The Chicago’s are a much better speaker, but save yourself the headache, and find a pair of Decent K120’s.

Well it sounds like I should pass on the E120's then.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's money I shouldn't spend anyway plus I have all of these jbl 10 inch speakers I could try in my Super Reverb first. I'm using a Mesa Mark IV now and that's got good tone already. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
 #159573  by Jon S.

QFT. I currently own a K120 and E120, each in its own 1X12 SSP cab. I long ago sold my Weber Cali. This being said, I don't think the Cali is a bad speaker. I don't agree they sound literally like buzzy, tinny garbage at any volumes. I just wouldn't buy one expecting it to duplicate a JBL K or E. YMMV.
 #159577  by gratefulredhead

gratefulredhead wrote:Perhaps this will help. The first post I'm playing thru a stock 65 TRRI with stock speakers even, using my guitar before I gave it any Jerry mods. DiMarzio bluesbucker pickups was the only upgrade.
https://youtu.be/v4CW_Ja6yj4

The second post is the same amp but given full Jerry mods, preamp out into a Mosvalve 962 solid state power amp, broken out of the combo into a head for weight reasons, through a JBL K120. The guitar has a tiger/late wolf set up...full Garcia treatment from IO Custom Guitars. No effects used in either video. I think there is a huge difference. My eq on my twin was the same in both. Treble10, Mids7, BassO.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9636904085
Correction....in the second clip I was actually plugged into my Weber Cali because the FOH tech wanted me to switch to the top speaker after soundcheck.