#159343  by WokeUpDead

I just came across 8 JBL 10" speakers. There are D's, K's and E's. I was thinking of putting them in an old 66 super reverb I have. Has anyone used a super with JBL's and can talk about the sound they got? Are JBL 10s going to be close to the 12's in sound?
 #159353  by WokeUpDead

Literally heavy? Yes I'm sure! :lol:

Ah but I don't mean to say that I want to put all 8 of them in there. In fact I'll probably only put two...maybe 4 but I'm going to experiment with just two to keep the weight down and the volume.
 #159357  by Gr8fulCadi

I have a Vintage Sound super reverb ab763 ptp etc. It was modded by Shakedown and has a multi-tap transformer so I can use any speaker combo I choose too. I’ve had it for years and just recently got some JBL d120’s and also have a pair of Beyma Liberty’s, e120 clone. Both sound fantastic with the super. Can play it for days!!
I have not tried jbl 10’s tho so I can’t comment on that unfortunately. It is closer to Jerry tone for sure with the jbl’s but the super imo still sounds different than a twin especially when using the 6l6 power section, even with a solid state rectifier. When I tap it out to a mc250 it’s closer. Great amp regardless of speakers. Would love to hear some clips.

Btw, I love running the super as a 2x10, loaded with a Weber alnico & ceramic combo. Carrying a 4x10 is hideous lol
 #159382  by GeneralGoldilocks

Come to think of it, here is a copy of my post in the "Post your Jerry Rig soundclips" from today, in the vid I am using a blackfaced 1972 super reverb with a different OT that has a 4 ohm and 8 ohm tap. I am using a JBL K120 in a 1x12 cab, the head is in a mojotone cab.

Hey all, I've been working on a new build over the past year. I saw Troy Post was making some bolt ons, so I had him make me a strat style wolfesque body that I bolted onto my favorite warmoth neck. It is awesome, and I love it. Maple top, Magonany back. I then tried to do the electronics myself. It was halfway successful. I ran into some trouble with my crappy wiring job and so I had Brian (milobender) at IO Custom Guitars redo the electronics, I just got it back, and wow, it is killer. He installed an OBEL and redid the whole ciricuit, so now it has a standard Jerry type setup with an active circuit bypass (500K push pull pot on the second tone knob turns off the circuit if your battery goes dead in a pinch) and an OBEL in/out switch. It has a Wald TCP 1 buffer and D Allen Voodoo 69's. He fixed a slightly misaligned bridge ( I chose a Schaller Top Loader Roller Bridge to keep it simple and keep the strings smooth with all the right angles. This video was shot before Brian fixed it last summer when it was super hot out and all my effects were sounding quite weird, plus we were playing with a generator for power. But it is the guitar before Brian redid all the electronics. I will try to get some sound clips post electronics job, it is a similar circuit, but slightly different. Just wanted to publicly thank Brian and Troy for that matter, for getting an awesome guitar built for about the price of lots of new fancy strats out there. Personally, I think this guitar is awesome and people like Troy and Brian make it possible for normal folks to own awesome custom one of a kind guitars that sound amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzjfSmZhfU
 #159392  by WokeUpDead

GeneralGoldilocks wrote:Come to think of it, here is a copy of my post in the "Post your Jerry Rig soundclips" from today, in the vid I am using a blackfaced 1972 super reverb with a different OT that has a 4 ohm and 8 ohm tap. I am using a JBL K120 in a 1x12 cab, the head is in a mojotone cab.

Hey all, I've been working on a new build over the past year. I saw Troy Post was making some bolt ons, so I had him make me a strat style wolfesque body that I bolted onto my favorite warmoth neck. It is awesome, and I love it. Maple top, Magonany back. I then tried to do the electronics myself. It was halfway successful. I ran into some trouble with my crappy wiring job and so I had Brian (milobender) at IO Custom Guitars redo the electronics, I just got it back, and wow, it is killer. He installed an OBEL and redid the whole ciricuit, so now it has a standard Jerry type setup with an active circuit bypass (500K push pull pot on the second tone knob turns off the circuit if your battery goes dead in a pinch) and an OBEL in/out switch. It has a Wald TCP 1 buffer and D Allen Voodoo 69's. He fixed a slightly misaligned bridge ( I chose a Schaller Top Loader Roller Bridge to keep it simple and keep the strings smooth with all the right angles. This video was shot before Brian fixed it last summer when it was super hot out and all my effects were sounding quite weird, plus we were playing with a generator for power. But it is the guitar before Brian redid all the electronics. I will try to get some sound clips post electronics job, it is a similar circuit, but slightly different. Just wanted to publicly thank Brian and Troy for that matter, for getting an awesome guitar built for about the price of lots of new fancy strats out there. Personally, I think this guitar is awesome and people like Troy and Brian make it possible for normal folks to own awesome custom one of a kind guitars that sound amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzjfSmZhfU
That tone is great. Love the kids dancing out front. What kind of charge is it to send the guitar off for wiring? I've been thinking of wiring up a strat myself but crappy wiring is likely. ha. I"ve already bought pickups and a buffer and a pickguard for TIger style.
 #159394  by GeneralGoldilocks

you would have to get a quote from Brian for your specific job, I will tell you he is quite reasonable and super professional to deal with. I also noticed he made a "drop in" style strat jerrified pickguard you might be able to drop in your strat yourself. check him out at IO custom guitars on facebook or PM Milobender on this page. My guitar ended up costing what a nice new Made in USA strat sells for these days, and not a custom shop one or anything.