#159134  by tommybo

in most of the bands I'm in the bass player is on one side of the stage and I'm on the other- watching some youtube videos I see a lot of bands do the same thing - only jerry would have the balls to stand next to his bass player (jgb) - I don't know how he could do it, I tried one nite and it was horrible - anybody else stand next to their bass player?
 #159137  by tommybo

that's really cool of your bassplayer to do that - wish mine would!
 #159149  by strumminsix

gratefulredhead wrote:I do. I prefer it so that I can really hear his attack not just the bloom. He uses a 2x10 cab though, at reasonable volume and let's the subs push him into the room.
it's always better with low amp volume, using monitors and letting the PA work it.
 #159152  by Poor Peter

strumminsix wrote:
gratefulredhead wrote:I do. I prefer it so that I can really hear his attack not just the bloom. He uses a 2x10 cab though, at reasonable volume and let's the subs push him into the room.
it's always better with low amp volume, using monitors and letting the PA work it.
Indeed. Getting everyone else on board with that philosophy is the hard part.
 #159154  by strumminsix

Poor Peter wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
Indeed. Getting everyone else on board with that philosophy is the hard part.
Tell me about it.
 #159168  by TI4-1009

George Harrison? :lol:
 #159186  by zambiland

Speaking as a bass player, the lead guitar player should stand next to the bass player. You should hear everything they are doing, not just a dull roar from across the stage. Otherwise, the improvisation can't really happen.
 #159203  by tcsned

zambiland wrote:Speaking as a bass player, the lead guitar player should stand next to the bass player. You should hear everything they are doing, not just a dull roar from across the stage. Otherwise, the improvisation can't really happen.
+1
 #159205  by hieronymous7

Only works if people are listening though. Can't remember who is said to have said it, but "If you can't hear the other musicians, you're playing too loud. If you're playing too loud, you aren't listening." 8)
 #159289  by tommybo

then I wonder why Jerry didn't stand next to phil in their later years ?