#158118  by gdrfk1990

So this is a take off of the reverb thread.. I have just gotten into the different tubes etc. as I just modded my Deluxe RI and recently Bought a Rivera Era Concert Head. I am wondering what you think are the best tubes for Clean Jerry tone in these amps. this is what's in the concert now

Power tubes TAD 6l6 gc str
preamp 1 looks like ge 7025 just has grey usa 7025 on it
preamp 2 sylvania 12ax7 7025 usa
3rd slot is at7 grey usa
the rest look like grey usa 7025

In the deluxe the preamp tubes are stock (I have pulled V1) Maybe something NOS in V2? suggestions ?
the power amp tubes are Philips JAN 6L6WGB I've read these tubes are actually fine to put in the deluxe no other changes necessary so Dave in Whippany NJ steered me right with these

I am thinking about the New Tung Sol 7518A for the concert head... They say they have the 35w rating as NOS 7518A's Does anyone have any experience with these ?

I also want to replace the 7025 in v1 I am thinking Telefunken 12ax7WA or Maybe an RCA what do people think is best here ?

Any experiences opinions welcome
 #158143  by frankenstein260

gdrfk1990 wrote:Thanks
So it looks like the tubes in this thing are pretty good ?
Yes, any USA made tubes are preferred, but RCA's are said to be gold!
 #158146  by gdrfk1990

Thanks let's keep it rolling this really should be more a topic of conversation here... I just played my deluxe RI first with stock GT in the preamp then I switched the Preamp tube for the USA 7025 from the Rivera Huge difference much smoother I had to mess with the eq and could actually go to 10 on the Treble and 1 on the Bass without it being too harsh. I think I might order a few different NOS tubes and play around with this.. I definitely need backups and want to put some in my deluxe RI
 #158147  by Gr8fulCadi

N.E.W Tung Sol 6L6GC STR for power tubes cause of cost vs NOS. I'm pleased with them so far. 503 Plate voltage and biased around 35ma.

I keep my NOS 6L6GC's for my McIntosh MC30's ;-)

Regarding the Telefunken 12ax7, 'most' prefer them in HiFi gear vs guitar amps for whatever reason, imo, anything goes. I like rca 12ax7 blackplate or grey for my V1 or V2. I like 5751 GE 5 star for V1 also. Less gain but crystal clear, SRV vibe. Ive also tried some rca 12bz7 in V1 only, those are very 'hot' in the gain dept. Some like, some don't. I do.

I really like the Mullard cv4024 12AT7 for Reverb and PI. Dig em for sure.
 #158148  by mgbills

Good Evening,
I had a little tube breakdown (emotional GAS that is) after the Maestro arrived. I sent it to Waldo with shitty Ruby's. When it came back I applied discretionary funds (probably better allocated elsewhere) to the problem.

I rather like this guy http://www.audiotubes.com/nos.htm

I bought some his Ugly RCA's, some sweet RCA 7025's, some RCA 12AT7's (ugly). Then I thought...why not try some Telefunken's! I wanted the Amperex's ...but whoa...hard to find from a reliable source that aren't really painful. Then...I had some other secret tubes fall in my lap. Mullards. Sorry...can't divulge my source until they're hanging in my studio like Christmas lights.

They're all so different...and all differently clean. The tubes I got from the site above needed some break in. RCA's are balanced. 7025's aren't really broken in yet to be honest (stash for future dark ages). The Tele's are warm, dimensional and not quite as bright. The Mullards are my personal favorites. They just make a Twin dance the cosmic dance. They're all freakin' beautiful.

Now...I want me some of those NOS RCA 6L6's. But man...I've got a remodel going on.

For what it's worth great tubes are freakin' great.
Peace
M
 #158151  by gdrfk1990

Thanks That site is great thanks a bunch of good info there.. And good tubes at reasonable prices. I think I am going to start collecting some of these over the next few years just to have them on hand. First I'm going to get some RCA's then some GE's and Sylvania's the Raytheon's seem like a good deal Some are made in Japan though ? Then I will get some Boutique Telefunkens and Mullards etc.

I am also interested in something good for 6L6's I am wondering how the Jan 6l6WGB will sound in the Rivera they sound amazing in my RI, The Tube Store sells them in their premium Twin Package but I've read they make small amps cleaner and big amps break up sooner Just wondering what that would mean for the Rivera ? I am also curious about the best new production tubes as it seems NOS are getting more and more expensive. And about The new Tung Sol 7581a that claim to be a clone of the original Phillips ? What do you guys like for 6L6's both new and old stock ??
 #158163  by MattMan

As I mentioned, I like new JJ tubes from Eurotubes because they sound great, consistent, and good price.

Preamp: https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/view ... Category=2
Power: https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/view ... Category=3
Fender Sets: https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/Retu ... er-c11.htm
 #158164  by Searing75

Tubes are a crapshoot. You can spend lots on NOS that end up sounding dull, and likewise find a cheap Sovtek that sounds great. I generally raid old organs, stereos, tv's. Anything with 12AX7's and try them in my SMS pre. Of new production, I have found the Shuguang 12AX7's to be the most consistent and best sounding. I think right now I have some old RCA tubes from a trashed organ in my SMS pre. They are very nice.

Tube tester/checkers from Heathkit are nifty devices for making sure the tubes you find are useable.
 #158166  by Feedback

I agree with MattMan. The Eurotubes guys are great. They test and match tubes, are very knowledgeable and have always offered me great customer service. NOS tube stock has been picked over for forty or fifty years now. Maybe there are some good pieces left, but it's a time consuming and expensive game to find them amongst piles of not-so-great stock. Put your time and money elsewhere.
 #158272  by RiderWes

While you're raiding those old organs....set aside the 6C4s, 6AU6s, 6X4s, 12BH7s, will ya? When you get a decent-sized box, mail 'em my way. :)

Sort of back on topic, I'm using mostly rebadged vintage original Tung-Sol 6550s in my Leslies these days -- they last forever -- but I had a hard time keeping up the stage volume yesterday without some help from the PA, especially when trying to ride over the band with things like Brent's stabs in "Loser". Might have to bust out the JJ KT-88s for a quick level comparison. Another one of my rigs uses ElectroHarmonics 6550s that I think are about 10 years old. They sound fantastic.
 #158276  by zambiland

I use Philips 7581As. Much more headroom than a standard 6L6 and deeper and clearer tone (although not ice picky). I'm pretty sure that these are the mil spec tubes that Alembic and crew us to pick up by the palette from military surplus auctions down in LA in the late 60s and 70s.

I'd be interested in trying the new version, but I have a quad for my Showman, a quad for my McIntosh MC30s, and a pair for my Bandmaster, so I'm not likely to need new 6L6s in years. They have a MTBF of 5,000 hours.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L6-5 ... -Sol-7581A