#157242  by Jubal

Hey Now!

I'm a noob 'round these parts, so I hope I'm not doing this wrong or in the wrong place, but.....

I've just acquired a Mutron III and am I'm wondering where it belongs in my pedal order. Ok, of course few pedals have a static place they BELONG but where do ya'll feel it fits best (and why, since there will surely be differing opinions)

Hope everyone is having a good Thursday! It's sunny and warm out here in Portland, OR! I'm having a grand time, just putting together my new pedalboard, reassembling and dorking out. :cool:
 #157243  by TeeJay

Early in the chain if not first. Most run only the octave before the Mutron. Some put a boost/drive in front of it.
 #157244  by Jubal

Ok. I just hooked it up

It's
Guitar > Dyna Comp > EQ > Spark (clean boost) > Mutron
Sounds good. I noticed that the boost pushes the Mutron harder, sounds really good. Without the boost, I have to dial the Mutron in more severely.

I use a parallel looper, too. (Pedal switcher) I'm thinking that maybe dedicating a loop to the Mutron will kind of give me a little play room.

Thanks for the reply!
 #157245  by PurpleTrails

Dump the comp, especially in front of the mutron. Manipulating its tone depends on you managing your pick dynamics, which the comp is going to squash. I'd probably run guitar>mutron>spark>eq myself and drop the comp altogether if you are going after Jerry tone.
 #157254  by Jubal

Thanks for the great input! Much appreciated!

Not specifically going after Jerry tone, mostly wondering where everyone thought it performs best.
I'm definitely not running the Mutron and the comp at the same time. It kills the effect. When I had the Mutron on its own parallel loop, having the spark run before it really helped push the peaks. And that's with the spark at about 8-9 o'clock. Any more and you were peaking out even when strumming softly. I think I want to achieve as wide a dynamic as I can manage, now that I've been getting familiar with the Mutron. So fun! I should have pulled the trigger on this long ago.

Also, when I say I'm not going for Jerry tone, I should also say that I kind of already have it. LOL it's just one of those things that naturally happen when you spend a significant portion of your life following that sound and also playing guitar. I even have A MIDI ready LP when I'm feeling like playing some 90's bird song flute rock. ;-)