#154276  by lightningbolt

Saw DSO a couple of weeks ago and was more impressed then ever...Jeff and the rest of the band were on fire. My history with Jeff is pretty deep although I doubt he would remember. For 4 or 5 years I would go see Jeff's pre Zen Trickster band, The Volunteers every Sat night at the Right Track Inn in Freeport NY. At one point I took lessons from Jeff in a studio he rented if memory serves me correctly in some guys basement for $20 a week. That went on for maybe 6-8 months before I was distracted and stopped the lessons. I believe I actually missed the last one and owe him a $20 bill for a last minute cancellation.

Anyway...I was searching youtube and I found this and a few almost 30 year old gems

His rig...I believe a stock Strat and I think at the time he was going straight into a Twin with an extension cab sound amazing...he was a monster even 30+ years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCU2ESLfgYE
paulinnc liked this
 #154278  by playingdead

I saw them a couple of times back in the day ... the keyboard player I used to play with in Miami played with them for a while. They were great.

Timberwolf, which played in NY and NJ back then was amazing, also, the lead guitarist -- Randy Schweller -- is still the closest I've heard to Garcia, they just totally nailed that mid 70s tone and vibe. You really could close your eyes and think you were at a Dead show. He played a Travis Bean through an MC-2300. Rob Barraco played keys, and, of course, wound up with Jeff in the Tricksters later.

I think Randy is a university professor of political science somewhere these days, wonder if he still plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWimcp_w7Sk
Pointclear liked this
 #154282  by lightningbolt

playingdead wrote:
Timberwolf, which played in NY and NJ back then was amazing, also, the lead guitarist -- Randy Schweller -- is still the closest I've heard to Garcia, they just totally nailed that mid 70s tone and vibe. You really could close your eyes and think you were at a Dead show. He played a Travis Bean through an MC-2300. Rob Barraco played keys, and, of course, wound up with Jeff in the Tricksters later.

I think Randy is a university professor of political science somewhere these days, wonder if he still plays.
Totally agree. I would see Timberwolf back in the day as well. For all you Long Islanders...I was an intern at the somewhat famous WLIR. The PM drive DJ, Ray White who I believe is still on air in the SF Bay area played the 16 min Live/Dead version of Lovelight for me on my bday. Could you imagine a commercial radio station doing that today? Because I worked at the station I was on the guest list all the typical LI bars. My Fathers Place, Right Track Inn, US Blues, Hammerheads, Speaks...etc...

Found this link to Timberwolf's Bobby: https://www.facebook.com/kent.vreeland/ ... 592&type=3
 #154285  by Capt Rosebuddy

Wow! These videos are awesome. I have a ton of respect for you guys who where out there on the gearhead scene pre internet. Today it's easy to figure out how to get a good approximate GD rig with just a few minutes in front of google, but back then? Man, You'd be all on your own. I've been curious about the dudes who where in the vanguard on the gear scene, this is awesome. Thanks for posting.
 #154335  by HeadSpace

Re: Timberwolf--small world! Turns out I know the Donna (Catherine Romano) pretty well, having worked closely with her in the magazine business for a while. Had no idea she even *liked* the Dead, let alone sang in such a great band until yesterday when this thread got me looking into Timberwolf. Classic. :lol:
 #154689  by kurt eye

I saw DSO in Concord, NH on 11/22. Incredible show as always. One thing that really struck me is Mattson's and the rest of the band's ability to play possum. At the flick of a switch they can take what seems like an ordinary ho hum low energy tune and send into hyperspace. In fact, I got they impression that they intentionally lay back at times to accentuate the incredible contrast of low to high energy moments.

Anyway, as far as my impression of Mattson's tone, I was really focused on the difference between his E-120s and my D-120. The ceramic magnet in the E-120s and presumably his Dimarzos are very noticeably different than an Alnico magnet JBL and voodoo 69s. I feel like I get more nuanced sparkle and jangle out of my rig than the E-120/Dimarzo setup. Part of this might be the natural bias I tend to get favoring what I am used to vs something different. However, given that DSO is typically playing smaller sized venues I'd love to see Mattson try out a lower wattage McIntosh Rig and some D-120s for a change of pace. May be someone who consults with Mattson can put this bug in his ear :lol:
 #154690  by Searing75

One thing that will lend its hand to Jeffs tone being a bit warmer than the usual Jerry guy is that his middle pup is flipped so that when in single coil mode, the active coils is the one closer to the neck not the bridge.
 #154692  by hippieguy1954

Searing75 wrote:One thing that will lend its hand to Jeffs tone being a bit warmer than the usual Jerry guy is that his middle pup is flipped so that when in single coil mode, the active coils is the one closer to the neck not the bridge.
All Jerry's super 2's were split so the coil closest to the neck was active.
 #154694  by kurt eye

Searing75 wrote:One thing that will lend its hand to Jeffs tone being a bit warmer than the usual Jerry guy is that his middle pup is flipped so that when in single coil mode, the active coils is the one closer to the neck not the bridge.
Interesting. That adds some clarity. I noticed his highs with the E-120s to have more of a white noise quality vs a sparkly bell like resonant quality.