#143347  by James-T
 Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 am
I can second that. I had one that I ended up selling. Bought new in 79 sold in around 96. I just didn't clean up at a jam volume let alone at a bar gig. But to be honest my only guitar back then was a 67 SG junior with a single T Bucker. It tended to want to scream.

I've got a Vibrolux now. It's like a mini twin. It's a way better platform in my opioin to get a workable Jerry tone. It's no SMS but its got a sweet vintage vibe and will put you in the 72-77 ballpark.

Another option is a Blues Deluxe RI. I love mine and put a D120 on it. It's crunchier than the VIbrolux. Breaks up easier.

Peace,

James
 #143352  by mgbills
 Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:51 am
With a JBL the Deluxe has always been plenty for me. One hard headed drummer really pushed my Deluxe. Every other situation it's been perfect. JBL 110's are just sonically different than 120's to my ear. Better than a non JBL, but not a D or K.

I would prefer 6L6's. More dimensional and less creamy to my ear. But a Vibro is almost as heavy as a Twin...same with a Pro. I have a Twin, and I find that if I need that much volume I take the SMS > Mc rig, which is waywayway more versatile than a Twin. I might love my Twin again. I still need to Jerry-mod it, but even the head is heavy.
 #143831  by jeager
 Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:13 pm
I have an SMS/mesa set up with k120s and people have always been very complimentary of the tones... I just acquired an old silverface Vibrolux though and I just love it for the sweet tone at lower volumes, more head room than a deluxe yet still easy to carry and it really sounds great and can be very Jerry like if you dial it in right and all that. A little Earth Drive in from and its just superb
 #143834  by James-T
 Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:26 pm
I think that the SF Vibrolux is one of the best Jerry amps out there if you want to keep it simple, for all the same reasons you mentioned. I had a Deluxe reverb that I regrettable sold many years ago, but never quite found my groove with it's headroom, mind you I played a SG Junior with a single humbucker - should have used a strat with it.

You can blackface that amp - or chances are it might already be blackfaced. Mine was blackfaced by a pervious owner and also had a mid boost added and a treble boost added. Both pull knobs on the tone pots. Pretty cool stuff.

I think after 73 they changed the transformers to get more headroom, but I think Fender did a whole lot less tinkering with the Vibrolux than it did with the twin in the SF years.

I've also got a Blues Deluxe with a JBL D120 in it. 40 watts like a Vibrolux. Also a great Jerry platform. Not quite as sparkling on the high end but for some reason it has an earlier breakup. It's got a second channel with a master and drive pot. It can get some nice gritty tones. I think it has more pronounced mids.A great platform for blues or early dead stuff for sure - also for getting Mick Taylor tones, Allman Bros stuff and the like. And they are cheap used. :smile:

Is an SMS basically a twin head? same wattage??

Peace,

James
 #143836  by brbadg
 Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:23 pm
The SMS is a preamp.In fact you can go right into your Blues Deluxe effects loop and just use the power amp and speaker from your BLues Deluxe
 #143837  by James-T
 Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:28 pm
Well that's totally cool. Is it simply a twin preamp then thus getting me a twin tone our of my Blues Deluxe. I have to say that effects loop send and recieve is a big feature. I've been experimenting with my Fractal Ultra as a preamp for my Blues Deluxe with some pretty great results.

Peace,

James
 #143854  by Smolder
 Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:13 am
I've never been able to find any evidence that fender changed transformers or transformer specs in the early to mid 70's. They did change rectifiers (from 5AR4 to 5U4)... Supposedly to accommodate for higher AC voltage in wall socket wiring. In the late 70's the larger amps moved to ultra linear transformers, but they work great for delivering crisp clean power. You can tell the by looking inside, the heater wires (twisted pair of wires that go to each tube socket) come from the output transformer rather than the power transformer.
 #143864  by waldo041
 Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 am
Smolder wrote:I've never been able to find any evidence that fender changed transformers or transformer specs in the early to mid 70's. They did change rectifiers (from 5AR4 to 5U4)... Supposedly to accommodate for higher AC voltage in wall socket wiring. In the late 70's the larger amps moved to ultra linear transformers, but they work great for delivering crisp clean power. You can tell the by looking inside, the heater wires (twisted pair of wires that go to each tube socket) come from the output transformer rather than the power transformer.
Check out the power transformers output voltage of the blackface ab763 to the cbs silverface aa769 and the aa270 in the schematics to see the differences of the twin reverbs. Also, check out the part number difference for the export power transformer for the same circuits.

~waldo
 #159299  by GeneralGoldilocks
 Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am
Hey all,

I'm resurrecting this thread and expanding it a bit......

I'm looking for advice about smaller 6v6 and 6L6 AB763 blackface style amps. I have a 65 DRRI and have come to accept it as a great platform, although not exactly perfect, for Jerry tone. Having a grab and go package at a reasonable weight and size for an all tube amp seems very appealing. My A rig is a SMS CTP with a Rocktron V300, but I was thinking of upgrading my practice/backup rig from the DRRI. I have been interested in all the super sweet blackface clones or iterations by smaller makers, specifically I'm interested in a Carr Rambler (not a clone, but similar, but with 6L6) or the Vintage Sounds 22sc. I feel like just having channel, having mids, the ability to run 6L6 is maybe worth the high price tag, although the Vintage Sounds isn't too bad price wise, still a good 500 more than a new DRRI. But for point to point wiring with some really nice features that the originals didn't have, it might be worth it. I realize that the real deal is the way to go, but by the time you buy one and then have the constant anxiety about what is going to fail on it and how much it is going to cost and is it going to affect it's vintage value, it seems like just kicking down the extra cash for a brand new amp is a good option.

I feel like I'm sure some of you use or have used some of these amps, there are quite a few builders out there. To fund this project, I am going to sell my two Fender amps. One is a 65 DRRI and the other is a 72 blackfaced Super Reverb in a head format that has an OT that runs at 8 or 16 ohms. Both are great amps, and I love them, but life is short, and I'ld like to expand my horizons a bit.
 #159302  by Blacklodgebob
 Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:02 pm
GeneralGoldilocks wrote:Hey all,

I'm resurrecting this thread and expanding it a bit......

I'm looking for advice about smaller 6v6 and 6L6 AB763 blackface style amps. I have a 65 DRRI and have come to accept it as a great platform, although not exactly perfect, for Jerry tone. Having a grab and go package at a reasonable weight and size for an all tube amp seems very appealing. My A rig is a SMS CTP with a Rocktron V300, but I was thinking of upgrading my practice/backup rig from the DRRI. I have been interested in all the super sweet blackface clones or iterations by smaller makers, specifically I'm interested in a Carr Rambler (not a clone, but similar, but with 6L6) or the Vintage Sounds 22sc. I feel like just having channel, having mids, the ability to run 6L6 is maybe worth the high price tag, although the Vintage Sounds isn't too bad price wise, still a good 500 more than a new DRRI. But for point to point wiring with some really nice features that the originals didn't have, it might be worth it. I realize that the real deal is the way to go, but by the time you buy one and then have the constant anxiety about what is going to fail on it and how much it is going to cost and is it going to affect it's vintage value, it seems like just kicking down the extra cash for a brand new amp is a good option.

I feel like I'm sure some of you use or have used some of these amps, there are quite a few builders out there. To fund this project, I am going to sell my two Fender amps. One is a 65 DRRI and the other is a 72 blackfaced Super Reverb in a head format that has an OT that runs at 8 or 16 ohms. Both are great amps, and I love them, but life is short, and I'ld like to expand my horizons a bit.
Dude just get a FYD jerry special 6l6 50w for 1400 or a redplate amps blackline and save yourself the hassle!
 #159304  by GeneralGoldilocks
 Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm
thanks, those are two options I was considering. I didn't know FYD made a 50 watt combo with his twin preamp. very tempting..... I need to check out those redplate amps, too. another good option.
 #159305  by GeneralGoldilocks
 Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm
thanks, those are two options I was considering. I didn't know FYD made a 50 watt combo with his twin preamp. very tempting..... I need to check out those redplate amps, too. another good option.