#164128  by MikeMcA
 Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:02 pm
You folks are amazing. A year into the process here's my "rack" (DIet Coke not included):

#164134  by kralltime
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:00 am
The pair of JBLs in my pic above are original D's. I've got a hemp coned K that I love, but is very woody sounding - more of a blues speaker than a JG. I really dig the Purple Haze TTs - they are easy to push which works real well in a lot of settings. It's kind of an opposite reality for me - in the bigger joints we play, the sound guys insist on mic'ing the cabinets, which keeps stage volume low... in that setting the JBLs are too thin for me. In the smaller clubs, I actually turn up more and I've found the JBLs to be better - of course we go deaf due to high stage volume. My small club solution is a FYD 40 watt combo with a single D.
 #164158  by SellaV93
 Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:12 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:42 am

Nothing like an Mc2300! Loudness is a nonsense issue that is fully controllable but the power is very noticeable. The Sentry Removal helped in the bass side of things, slightly, as suspected from past research.

I do apologize to those who cannot or those who refuse to wheel one around, know that mine will probably never leave the house, i have an Mc2100 for that duty now, but i fully understand. This could actually be used as a boat anchor or concrete shoes if needed! It is heavy and big as hell, but in my world absolutely necessary! I now know why he had Big Steve lug it around to everyone of his performance where he wanted it! He could have just used both twins and power tubes and been fine, but he did not. It is a top shelf amp no doubt, the phenom of it is real. That said, this is only my opinion. I have found the promised land and i am happier than a pig in shit! Every Maestro will play through this rig.

Merry Christmas to you all, and to any customers that have their preamp/amps here know they are all going to be returning home soon!

Merry Christmas to you all!
~waldo
Everything in this picture just looks right. The 2300 speaks for itself and the Strat looks better than most Jerry Strats i've seen so far as aesthetics. I've found a lot of them to be sort of gaudy and funny looking with all the Tiger equipment. This one is kinda like a Bean meets a Stratocaster. I'm curious about the hat knobs you're using. Are those Alembic? or 2D2B's, or some variation of Raytheons? They look great. I've been sampling some of the different gator/wolf style knobs around and can't seem to obtain one's with correct dimensions. The bridge you have on there (top loader?) looks great as well.
 #164172  by RiseandFall
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:35 am
Out of curiosity I just went through this entire thread to see where everyone has their settings on their SMS preamps.

Naturally there was variance, but I noticed most have their mid's set around 1:00-2:00. Many have their bass not zeroed out but turned up slightly. Some have rolled off their treble a bit.
My bass is zeroed. My treble is fully maxed. I keep my mid's around 10:00-11:00. My bright switch is in the middle position.
To me, my rig sounds very good, but then one always seeks improvement.
: )

I guess we all judge by ear, and every room is of course different, but I'm starting to wonder if I should see if I can get used to these settings.
The reason being is after 40+ years of playing amplified music my hearing is pretty shot.
Another consideration is I've done the sentry mod on my MC50. I wonder if and how much that factors in. To my ear, the sentry mod makes the low strings a tad tighter and punchier.
Perhaps this increased tightness of lows is attained by others by bringing up the bass and mid knobs a bit?

I tend to run the reverb hotter than most as well (1:00). I've yet to find an outboard reverb I like better, and I've tried many.

On another slightly related matter, I just scored a pair of mint, original orange D120-F's.
So now I've had and thoroughly tried and tested D's, K's and E's.
They are all different, but they are all wonderful and each excels in their own way. If I could only have any one of the series for my only speakers, I'd be very happy no matter D,K or E.
Bigfoot Co. liked this
 #164191  by waldo041
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:55 pm
SellaV93 wrote:
Are those Alembic? or 2D2B's, or some variation of Raytheons?
Raytheon's. I have a set just like them the next size down i have been saving for another project. But i think these are a good size.
SellaV93 wrote:
The bridge you have on there (top loader?) looks great as well.
Custom Hot Rod Shop Bridge/tailpiece. I think that is who made those. I bought it because it was designed to fit right over the trem hole left behind when you removed the trem and make it a hardtail. This allowed me to remove the whole trem springs and claw from that cavity and used it for the buffer and battery at first. Later i put in a routed out for a battery box for super easy swaps. (make sure you don't reverse polarity!) Next came the Tigerstrat suggested Mighty Mite Strat maple and Ebony Finger board with jumbo frets, so i installed that. Custom Pickguard gets the closer and more correct pickup placement as well as allows for the electronics cavity to be removable without having to remove the strings. Custom scalloped Brass Nut and Brass String tree/bar for the low E,A,D,G strings like Alligator. It is a true Hybrid guitar using many different guitars approach to get it it just exactly right. I LOVE my Moriarty Tiger, But the Strat my Dad bought me will always be #1!

If you do notice the little 1/4 inch black piece of Velcro between the pickguard and bridge, that was an adjustment made later after realizing the need for it to get the low E and G intonated correctly. Now saying that, know this, If you try and use his known action height at the nut and bridge and the 12th with a stock trem'd Strat, you will never be in tune! Not that you can't find a possible workaround. Just saying that to get those 2 strings intonated correctly (or as close as one can get) they need sufficient saddle travel length. YMMV with strings and scale lengths, but Alligators bridge was not only changed just to make it a hardtail, there was a necessity to play in tune once he began to find his action with that guitar. All of his other guitars fall in line with Alligator's setup after.

Thanks for the Kind words!

~waldo
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #164194  by hippieguy1954
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 am
Hey Waldo, where did you get the custom pickguard? Thanks!
 #164202  by waldo041
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 pm
hippieguy1954 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 am
Hey Waldo, where did you get the custom pickguard? Thanks!
I believe my Great friend Martin Bills sent me that one for helping him get the template together for one of his strats.

~waldo
 #164300  by SellaV93
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:56 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:55 pm
SellaV93 wrote:
Are those Alembic? or 2D2B's, or some variation of Raytheons?
Raytheon's. I have a set just like them the next size down i have been saving for another project. But i think these are a good size.
SellaV93 wrote:
The bridge you have on there (top loader?) looks great as well.
Custom Hot Rod Shop Bridge/tailpiece. I think that is who made those. I bought it because it was designed to fit right over the trem hole left behind when you removed the trem and make it a hardtail. This allowed me to remove the whole trem springs and claw from that cavity and used it for the buffer and battery at first. Later i put in a routed out for a battery box for super easy swaps. (make sure you don't reverse polarity!) Next came the Tigerstrat suggested Mighty Mite Strat maple and Ebony Finger board with jumbo frets, so i installed that. Custom Pickguard gets the closer and more correct pickup placement as well as allows for the electronics cavity to be removable without having to remove the strings. Custom scalloped Brass Nut and Brass String tree/bar for the low E,A,D,G strings like Alligator. It is a true Hybrid guitar using many different guitars approach to get it it just exactly right. I LOVE my Moriarty Tiger, But the Strat my Dad bought me will always be #1!

If you do notice the little 1/4 inch black piece of Velcro between the pickguard and bridge, that was an adjustment made later after realizing the need for it to get the low E and G intonated correctly. Now saying that, know this, If you try and use his known action height at the nut and bridge and the 12th with a stock trem'd Strat, you will never be in tune! Not that you can't find a possible workaround. Just saying that to get those 2 strings intonated correctly (or as close as one can get) they need sufficient saddle travel length. YMMV with strings and scale lengths, but Alligators bridge was not only changed just to make it a hardtail, there was a necessity to play in tune once he began to find his action with that guitar. All of his other guitars fall in line with Alligator's setup after.

Thanks for the Kind words!

~waldo
Thank you for the detailed response! I found some Raytheons over the weekend that fit the bill. I searched around for the custom shop hotrod droptop bridge to no avail, and learned a little about their history in the process. They pop up online from time to time but are no longer made due to the company going out of business some years back. It's weird, you would think that there would be someone around now making a bridge plate that has that tremolo arm space on both sides, fully covering the trem cavity . Go figure. I saw you posted an alternate top loader bridge from ebay in another thread. Taking your suggestion with that as well! it looks like it's 78mm wide, so it should cover most of the hole when it's centered in place, if not all of it. Thanks again Waldo! u da best.
waldo041 liked this