Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:42 pm
Killer axe! Is that the new custom?
 #160524  by tdcrjeff
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 pm
franklins_timmy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm
frankenstein260 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm
Prs CE with Wald TPC1>Maestro Twin>Mc250>e120s, here is a link to some pictures of the rig!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0vhj26E81PAurJoP2
Sweet setup!! What's that little tc electronic pedal?
Looks like a Ditto Looper.
 #160525  by kyleciarrocchi
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:44 pm
i really need a jerry style guitar man! im in a cover band now but im only 16 and cant really spend more than 1000. i dont really want a guitar that looks identical to jerry's either though.
 #160526  by frankenstein260
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:10 pm
franklins_timmy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm
frankenstein260 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm
Prs CE with Wald TPC1>Maestro Twin>Mc250>e120s, here is a link to some pictures of the rig!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0vhj26E81PAurJoP2
Sweet setup!! What's that little tc electronic pedal?
Much appreciated, and the tc pedal is just a looper.

best,
Nathan
 #160527  by MattMan
 Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:26 am
kyleciarrocchi wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:44 pm
i really need a jerry style guitar man! im in a cover band now but im only 16 and cant really spend more than 1000. i dont really want a guitar that looks identical to jerry's either though.
We've discussed this in the Jerry tone forum. You can get a Jerrycaster for $600 if you can do the work. I just made a Jerrycaster as my backup axe for $300. I took an old strat I had, bought a new neck, Wald buffer, the two stereo jacks and the obel switch. Did the wiring. Voila. A pretty darn good Jerry axe. So if you're ok with a strat, find something on eBay, get the parts, do the soldering, and you're good to go.
tntawney liked this
 #163832  by mgbills
 Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:43 pm
I may stop rebuilding my toy box some day...I think this is Rack v7.

This is my lightweight version with full versatility. This brings together a bunch of aspects I choose to carry. First...MaestroSMS. 2nd - Reverb Options (although I need to get it recapped. It's a bit noisy.) Slant-top pedal rack with GCX. The 3rd piece is light, easy to control & the knobs don't get screwed up in transit.

TeeJay, MattMan, tcsned and 1 others liked this
 #163833  by tntawney
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:25 am
mgbills wrote:

This is my lightweight version with full versatility. This brings together a bunch of aspects I choose to carry. First...MaestroSMS. 2nd - Reverb Options (although I need to get it recapped. It's a bit noisy.) Slant-top pedal rack with GCX. The 3rd piece is light, easy to control & the knobs don't get screwed up in transit.

Nice. I have the RT-921 also it is also a bit noisy. Love it though. Let me know if recapping it helps.
milobender liked this
 #163837  by MattMan
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 am
mgbills wrote:
Have you found your Mac gets too hot or do you have the back open? My Mac has consistently blow its fuse about half way through the second set unless I open the back of its enclosure for airflow.
 #163845  by mgbills
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 pm
Well... to address both questions.

Reverb tank + transformers or tubes = noise. A discovery I re-discovered after yesterdays post. And since I'm not fond of reverb noise ...I moved the RT-921 to the GCX rack...away from the preamp and away from the Mc50. Testing will happen tonight, and I hope to have a report tomorrow.

Update: Moving the RT dramatically reduced the noise floor.

And Matt...I'd open the back. I haven't played this change long enough or loud enough to see how the amp draws goes. I have it in a dedicated 20amp circuit, because this spare bedroom (Room of Musical Requirement) is a recent build-out I was able to design that in. I can put the Fluke Clamp meter on a leg of the breaker panel when I have a loud play day. If you don't like to have the back open I'd mount a computer-type fan to the side of the rack case & pull some air through. Air movement can change things pretty dramatically. A few years back I had a Mesa 20/20 is a big rack I built (too heavy for me to carry). I dropped a fan in because those power tubes put out the BTU's. Never had a problem, but I did do it preemptively.

As a side note I auditioned the Mc50's for about 10 hours on my hifi system Sunday before I started patterning this setup. They produced very modest heat (estimate of 80F-90F operating temp at the autoformers/grill) while cranking GD for hours. They were not confined to any cabinetry at the time. I do have a spare here if you need one. A good deal can be had.
tntawney liked this
 #163846  by mgbills
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:38 pm
The oppressive noise is gone. But I'd still like to recap it and see if I can get it to super-quiet.

Might be a pipe dream.
tntawney liked this
 #163851  by milobender
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 am
My RT 921 isn't the noise source for me, it's the RT's power supply... it's crazy noisy if it gets close to any cableing or anything else for that matter. I did have it secured in the rack (the power supply, mine anyway, is big and heavy), but after having figured the culprit, now place it as far away as it's little cable will allow and much less noise.
tntawney liked this
 #163852  by tntawney
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:25 am
milobender wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 am
My RT 921 isn't the noise source for me, it's the RT's power supply... it's crazy noisy if it gets close to any cableing or anything else for that matter. I did have it secured in the rack (the power supply, mine anyway, is big and heavy), but after having figured the culprit, now place it as far away as it's little cable will allow and much less noise.
Yes, my power supply is ridiculously big. I thought that was the culprit also years ago, but it didn't seem to be. I've just come to terms with the noise. I like to reverb too much. I might try to replace the caps, but it might be a pipe dream as Martin stated.