#135463  by playingdead

cripeowner wrote:I have offered Cliff at Fractal my E120s and K120s to IR because I don't live far from their shop and they repaired my unit for no charge. If he takes me up on I will get the file from them and pass it on. From most of the artist and videos I see from AXE FX users I'm not sure Cliff would consider these in high demand, but you never know.
You might tell Cliff the IRs from my E120s and K110s were done by Jay Mitchell (I posted them on the Fractal forum a while back) ... I think there are IRs of the K120 available from RedWirez, as well.
Eyesoftheworld wrote:Sorry for the stupid question but what is an "IR"?
Also are you saying that you can use the Axe FX by itself? It doesn't need to go to a power amp? I can just run it to a speaker Cab?
IR = "impulse response" file, to duplicate the characteristics and response of a given space or speaker. To use those, you would plug the AxeFX directly into a full-range monitor or PA system. The AxeFX serves as preamp, poweramp and speaker as far as the sound goes, the full-range monitor becomes the physical power amp and speaker.
 #135496  by Eyesoftheworld

Vic, thx for helping this noob.

I don't know this is still for this thread but I noticed from reading here and research that the Axe FX 2 can be everything from pre-amp, amp and speaker cab.

With that being said can I use the Axe FX 2 right into a speaker cab or should I get an amp? Can I use to play out with with out an amp until I get one?

If I should get an amp (which I think I will anyway) what other amps are good for the Jerry Tone other than a Mcintosh amp? I have a buddy who is using the Mosvalve 962 which is a nice sound. I am wondering so I can get options when looking around.

Also do you guys use pedals as well with yoru Axe Fx? i would still want to use my Q-Tron and maybe other pedals.

thanks
 #135515  by cripeowner

Eyes. Your missing the point of the Axe-Fx. Everything you need for pedals is in there and you can get a reasonable Qtron sound of it as well. You connect the output of the unit into a powered full range monitor like a PA wedge. The only reason you would need a power amp ( power has no effect on the tone) is if the full range speaker was passive. The Axe-fx does not power the speaker. You can run the unit right into your PA if you dont have your own monitors. You will need a midi pedal to turn on & off effects like the rocktron midimate low end or Ground control pro higher end.
 #136583  by James-T

OK a question for folks. I've got a couple of demos just up over the last day or so. I've always been getting a bit of a raspy tone on the high end. Mostly when my treble is cranked up, and definitely most noticeable on the lower output pick-ups on my guitars. To control I roll back on the volume or tone or a bit of both. Has anyone had similar issues? I imagine its an Ultra problem and not an FX II problem. You can hear a bit of that raspy tone show up in the demos I've got up right now.

Suggestions and tips on amp settings would be great. Do I just need to dial back the tone on my amp settings? Perhaps it's in the IR's? Any thoughts? :smile:

And one more thing, did some recording - A/B'ing and the Ultra blows away both my fender amps hands down. My 73 twin is off to market. What was 2 years ago a prized find is now obsolete sorry to say. Like most its taken me a while to come to terms with this.

Thanks!

James
 #136872  by Eyesoftheworld

Guys,

I was on the mailing for backorder of AXE FX II and I just got an email today saying they are available but that the new Model AxeFX II XL is coming out soon (March I think). I have since decided to go another route but here is the link on the Fractal site for the new Model
http://www.fractalaudio.com/announcing-axe-fx-ii-xl.php
 #139040  by russellwise

Hello All

I am new both to the Forum and to Axe FX Got one about three weeks ago! We are going to cover a set of Dead next week. Does anyone have some patches they would be willing to share? Many thanks
 #141848  by barefootdave

After reading in the SMS thread about values for the Bright Switch capacitors, this change made a difference. Thought other Fractal guys might benefit:

After reading this last night, I wondered if I could change the value on the Fractal. Initially this morning I couldn't find it, but finally did by going to the "ADV" page and scrolling down to "Bright Cap"; you can set the value wherever you like. Yes, the 68pF gives a more pleasing sound (to my ear) than the 120pF. I was playing with the bright set to off, but after changing this value, I like it better on.

Great information, thanks guys!

I have my MC250 and E120 still sitting here to use when I finally order my SMS, but for the last several months I haven't turned on any of my amps. I just play through the Fractal going through an old stereo system (Sony receiver --> Bose 301) here in my home office. It allows me to get the tone I am looking for at volumes that don't wake the wife and baby.
 #155918  by jeager

Been a long time since I have logged in here. I have been on different journey music wise and relying on a couple of small tube amps rather than a Jerry style rig. I am wondering if anyone anyone can tell me what the drawbacks to Fractal's AX8 would be as compared to the FX II XL. They say it has the same amp modeling software as the FXII. I am not really chasing the Jerry tone anymore though I would be happy to be able to get it if I want to. I love classic Fender amp sounds and still love to use the Mutron sound from time to time. The AX8 is so much less expensive and still has lots of flexibility which is one thing I love about the Fractal approach. Is the audio quality as good as the FX II XL ?
 #155919  by jkstraw

jeager wrote:Been a long time since I have logged in here. I have been on different journey music wise and relying on a couple of small tube amps rather than a Jerry style rig. I am wondering if anyone anyone can tell me what the drawbacks to Fractal's AX8 would be as compared to the FX II XL. They say it has the same amp modeling software as the FXII. I am not really chasing the Jerry tone anymore though I would be happy to be able to get it if I want to. I love classic Fender amp sounds and still love to use the Mutron sound from time to time. The AX8 is so much less expensive and still has lots of flexibility which is one thing I love about the Fractal approach. Is the audio quality as good as the FX II XL ?
Hey jeager - the key difference is only one signal path (i.e. amp simulation) at a time. So in terms of I/O it is basically half the AxeFX II - that limits some creativity, but unless you have the need to run multiple rigs at the same time it is a very attractive option. In terms of sound quality - it is the same. Other differences are around storage (how many IRs, etc. you can store).

I am sure other will chime in with additional info but based on what I read from your comment the single amp vs dual amps is the key difference.
 #155920  by jeager

Hey thanks, i asked the same question at Fractal sales site and they we're really prompt with a comparison page BUT its really nice to see what users at RUKIND have to say!

AX8 is a really tempting option... I would be giving up some really nice effects pedals to help pay for it though. I am wondering how the delays models stack up to my Strymon Time Line. Most of the time I keep my sound pretty simple with just a touch of gritty tape delay models on the Strymon it does some far out stuff I really like as well. I also have great results doing the mutron sound on a Strymon Mobius ... maybe I have to keep the Time Line...
 #155921  by rugger

jeager wrote:I am wondering how the delays models stack up to my Strymon Time Line. Most of the time I keep my sound pretty simple with just a touch of gritty tape delay models on the Strymon it does some far out stuff I really like as well.
I would venture to say if that is primarily how you use your Timeline you won't miss it compared to the AxFx.

john in san diego
 #155932  by playingdead

I have since moved over to the Fractal AX8 floorboard unit to play live, but I'm fairly convinced there isn't much you can't do with the AxeFX II in terms of delays if you're willing to put the time in and program it. I think you can get there with the AX8.

The AX8 is not quite as powerful but it's powerful enough for my needs ... I do have separate patches now to switch to to get around the memory limitations -- basically, one for the Mutron, one for the backwards Mutron (Dancin' in the Streets) and one for a wah-wah pedal. Note that these limitations are for the number of "blocks" you can have in a given preset on the AX8, not a processor limitation. I run everything -- amp, cabinet, reverb, all the pedals -- in each preset. I did not have to do that on the AxeFX II. It does sound the same.

As far as the Mutron sound, I have that dialed in pretty good now. You can really get in and customize it so it opens and closes at the sweet spots for your particular guitar and playing style by modifying the shape (slope) of the response curve. Check 7:05 or so during the jam.

This was my second night out with it last year. People commented that I was getting really great tone for that Line 6 amp behind me :shock: I am used to having no backline at all now, just relying on the powered wedge up front. On big stages we just have the monitor mixer put it in some of the other wedges around the stage.
 #155941  by jeager

Well thanks guys. I am awaiting shipment of my AX8. Really excited. I love my pedals and amps but the ease of using one box and the great sounding demos I have heard sold me. I play a big arch top guitar now for part of each gig, playing in a trio or even duo currently... and being able to tweak the EQ properly for and have a special, virtual amp rig for each guitar really sold me.