#161663  by Gr8fulCadi
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 pm
[/quote]
What are your thoughts between the Beymas and the D/K120s?

Thanks!
[/quote]

The D120f’s have more presence/tad brighter and are a little sweeter sounding. The Beyma’s are more pronounced in the lower mids than the D’s. So I usually turn the treble up jus a smidge and back the bass down to 0 for my Beyma’s. I’m using a Maestro twin with its power section so I have the bass at 1 or 1.5ish most of the time.

***By no means do I dislike the Beyma’s either, dig em’ for sure, jus curious on the e’s vs Beyma. And my D’s are actually K’s (orange frame)
tcsned liked this
 #161951  by Pointclear
 Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:10 am
I just started a new thread with this clip, but I think I should post here as well:

Hi everyone. I’ve been a long time lurker on here and this is my first post. I’ve spent the last year accumulating the usual starter pack of Jerry tone: silver face twin with a lot of new caps and components, RCA black plates and RCA preamp tubes, and jbl speakers - got an e120 and k120 in the same cab, which has a semi-enclosed and foam lined back panel.

My guitar, however, is unique and I’ve never seen anyone going for a Jerry type of tone with it. I’ve owned the Rickenbacker 650d since I was 16 - it was my first real electric guitar, and I’ve yet to find another guitar with its attributes: 1.75 nut width with compound radius 24 neck, which is maple, and runs through the body with walnut wings and two Rickenbacker mini humbuckers. It has sweet overtones and sustain. The Tung oil finish feels great and the guitar balances beautifully against one’s body and in one’s hands. I’ve recently coil-tapped the pickups and wired them to the tone knobs, so that there is a gradient between humbucker and single coils. I find a sweet spot in the 70/30 - 80-20 ratio of single cool to humbucker.... I also installed the redeemer buffer since it has a smaller circuit than the wald buffer. I am contemplating other mods to the amp, but I’m surprisingly pleased with the quality of the tones and harmonics so far. It’s really a lovely instrument and I feel it embodies a lot of spaces between the Sg era, the wall of sound era, and the Travis bean era without being a perfect copy of any of them. Let me know what you think and if anyone has experience with this guitar. Here’s a clip of some noodling from a few months ago using the middle position. Please excuse the iPhone quality sound...
https://youtu.be/ZqvksGWq6Jo
 #161962  by MattMan
 Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:39 pm
Coscia Guitars "Bella" > SMS CTP-Maestro Mod > MosValve MV962 > JBL E120s > Zoom Q4 Mics.
7.21.2018 Grand Rapids, MI

I've been working a lot on picking technique. Jerry was a very light picker in the last 20 years or so and that's really important for the tone.
https://youtu.be/yKceRxr9bwU

hippieguy1954 liked this
 #162037  by MattMan
 Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:45 pm
This is a fun one. Here's my Maestro Twin and its lovely Fender tube power section. Wanted to give her a spin. Fun audience video of The Other One > Stranger from early in the set and then Dark Star V2 > Terrapin after drums and space:

ac4468, brianb liked this
 #162041  by waldo041
 Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:42 pm
Sorry Matt, i might have screwed up your amp! Why would anyone want to sound like that? That looks like zero fun, and i might add a bit boring for both the musicians and the audience. :P :P :P

:wink: :hail: :hail: :hail:

~waldo
ac4468, MattMan, Gr8fulCadi and 1 others liked this
 #162042  by Gr8fulCadi
 Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:18 pm
Nice playing and tone Matt!
I actually prefer the Maestro with its power section. Don’t get me wrong, an mc250 or soon to be recapped mc2100 :cool: (with help from the Maestro) sound great with the tapped pre but I just dig the power section. Sounds awesome Matt
MattMan liked this
 #162170  by kralltime
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:56 pm
This is the SMS - MC50 > 2x12 with a K120 (hemp recone), and an all original D120.
The beginning is clean tone, then two shortish solos with the Mutron (finally got it working right!).

Pellecaster, MattMan liked this