#98922  by mijknahs

Yeah, depending on your other equipment (guitar, etc.) the "dark" switch might be in order.
 #173830  by Slewfoot2000

Bringing back an old thread as I was messing around with my 66 Twin a bit. Found something quite interesting!

So I recently had it taken in to an experienced tech as there were some pops and static noises. I also asked if there were some ways to make it not quite so loud as I primarily use it in my house so needs to be at basement level volume. He suggested trying it without two of the power tubes plugged in if I’m not using it for gigs.

While playing around with it and didn’t really notice much of a difference. I thought I would take a shot at using the Bright switch again.

Whoa! The switch suddenly sounded much better than I remembered it. I adjusted the settings a bit and landed on something like in the photo below. Sometimes I’ll put the bass higher if it seems to warrant it. And that would, of course, also depend on what guitar is being used.

But the general vibe was much more of an authentic twang to the tone which I love. I have a few guitars and switched around and the one that really seemed to nail Jerry (even more than my Tiger inspired guitar on this setting) was my vintage Epiphone Wilshire which has two P-90’s. One very interesting thing about this guitar is that the neck pickup is much lower than usual, almost towards the middle so in a way it’s not surprising it can therefore get good Jerry tones. The P-90’s are powerful and I had it on the middle position with volume on the neck around 8.5 and volume on the bridge around 5 and both tone knobs around 7.

My gut says that the powerful, strong and articulate vintage P-90’s combined with the Bright switch makes this specific combo really sing.

In addition to the guitar having that nice bright twang to it, the amp also actually had some gain come through with this setting. Not much, but juuuust enough to give it a touch of excitement. If you picked super hard it was more noticeable.

I’m sure I’m losing something with the bright switch on as Brad mentioned in the previous page, but regardless of that, this seems to work for the time being while at home.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case it can help anyone out. Always worth messing around and trying new things!

PS - this Epiphone Wilshire is a new acquisition and really versatile. Does GD stuff well, but also has a great vintage vibe for other fun tones. The old Epiphones made in the Gibson factory are killer.

#173831  by lbpesq

There are many different ways to get to a destination. Some obvious, some not, some traditional, some exploratory. Often it is the journey that’s the most enjoyable part. IMHO, that's one of the foundations of the whole Dead trip.

And the Epiphone looks sweet … almost has a Gretsch vibe to it!

Bill, tgo
 #173832  by Darkstar860

Anyone use the dark setting on their SMS CTP ? I use Dimarzio pickups and i switch between split and full thru-out the shows. Ive actually been using it with the Bright switch on. But im seeing a lot of you dont, so im gonna have to mess with the bright switch more. I kinda flipped it on and left it on haha. Im running into two JBL e-120's and im starting to think that turning the bright off may help. Hmm... but ill have to mess with it tomorrow. Just curious.
 #173837  by Slewfoot2000

lbpesq wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:01 pm There are many different ways to get to a destination. Some obvious, some not, some traditional, some exploratory. Often it is the journey that’s the most enjoyable part. IMHO, that's one of the foundations of the whole Dead trip.

And the Epiphone looks sweet … almost has a Gretsch vibe to it!

Bill, tgo
Yep! That certainly sums up the general philosophy I was going for with that above post.

And yeah that Epiphone certainly has its own unique vibe. The feel of it is pretty awesome. Nice and lightweight with a wonderful medium neck profile where you can easily move quickly up and down the fretboard. Plays well with low action too and the slab of mahogany is very resonant even when unplugged.
 #173854  by Phrygian

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:15 am Bringing back an old thread as I was messing around with my 66 Twin a bit. Found something quite interesting!

So I recently had it taken in to an experienced tech as there were some pops and static noises. I also asked if there were some ways to make it not quite so loud as I primarily use it in my house so needs to be at basement level volume. He suggested trying it without two of the power tubes plugged in if I’m not using it for gigs.

You should be careful to check the bias after pulling two tubes and reset if necessary. You don't want to cook the remaining tubes.
 #174092  by Darkstar860

What are some other tricks or tips some of you SMS CTP users use ? I found recently i really like the bright switch set in the middle, for years id used the bright switch on. But ive found eqing the amp a little different has changed that.

I did have a question tho, on the volume on the back of the SMS CTP, how high do you guys have that set ? If i set it too high, my power amps light blinks. So i have it set where my power amp doesnt clip. But in the manual and online ive heard people running this control a lot higher than i do. I keep it at 30% or so.

Hope all of you folks are having a good new years and take care
 #174095  by strumminsix

Darkstar860 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:59 pm What are some other tricks or tips some of you SMS CTP users use ? I found recently i really like the bright switch set in the middle, for years id used the bright switch on. But ive found eqing the amp a little different has changed that.

I did have a question tho, on the volume on the back of the SMS CTP, how high do you guys have that set ? If i set it too high, my power amps light blinks. So i have it set where my power amp doesnt clip. But in the manual and online ive heard people running this control a lot higher than i do. I keep it at 30% or so.

Hope all of you folks are having a good new years and take care
All poweramp lights mean something different. My experience: green operational, yellow nicely in the working zone, red is clipping. I've traditionally tried to feed poweramps so they are in the yellow.

But if you like the tone you can dial down the output on the back of the SMS.
 #174096  by NeilG1

I play an SMS into a Mosvalve to a E120.
I like to turn the mosvalve as high as I can tolerate. Like to almost 5.
Then the SMS Gain is 12-1:00 -- makes it sizzle a little. Bright switch on. Then normal Jerry stuff - bass off, treble full, mids just past noon. Output at the back of the SMS at noon.
This lets me run my guitar volume at 5-6 for a reasonable volume. But the hot amp gives it that electric strum sound that I love when you touch the pick to the strings.
Guitar volume can't get up to 10 unless I'm in a band setting or it's waaaaaaay too loud.
Set it up this way with Waldo's guidance a long time ago. The "cool guitar, hot amp" approach really makes the attack jump in my hands at least.
strumminsix liked this
 #174099  by Darkstar860

Oh ok. Id always thought even if it blinks occasionally (clipping) that its not good. But now i understands i can get into the yellow and still be safe with it. Awesome. Thank you so much. This is why i commented and bumped this post again. I find something new all the time thanks to this site and the kind folks on it. :-)

Oh and i hope everyones new year is going well ! :-) My Bday is next thur and im getting together a bunch of musicians to jam over at my place. Ill make sure i record some of it. :-)
strumminsix liked this
 #174102  by strumminsix

Darkstar860 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:28 pm Oh ok. Id always thought even if it blinks occasionally (clipping) that its not good. But now i understands i can get into the yellow and still be safe with it. Awesome. Thank you so much. This is why i commented and bumped this post again. I find something new all the time thanks to this site and the kind folks on it. :-)

Oh and i hope everyones new year is going well ! :-) My Bday is next thur and im getting together a bunch of musicians to jam over at my place. Ill make sure i record some of it. :-)
Right on!! Most (not all) want to operate at the top of the green and dance into the yellow occasionally. But all models are different.

And I loved bumping old threads and reviving chats! Best way to learn from the past and expand in the future.

Happy early birthday! I roll another year on Monday! Aquarians Rock!
 #174103  by tdcrjeff

Darkstar860 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:28 pmOh and i hope everyones new year is going well ! :-) My Bday is next thur and im getting together a bunch of musicians to jam over at my place. Ill make sure i record some of it. :-)
My birthday jam is coming up on the 5th. :guitar:
strumminsix liked this