#163889  by healthy_scratch
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:27 am
Benjamos86 wrote:Yo Healthy Scratch. I have the V3 proton. It also can be a very touch sensitive pedal. One setting may or may not work well from one rig to another. There was a time where I was getting frustrated with the pedal, as i felt I could not get a real true Jerry tone out of it. But you just have to spend some time with it and put it as close to the front of the signal chain as possible. I used to try and put a booster in front of it and I actually feel like this was working against me. Currently my chain goes: Crybaby, Octron, then the proton followed by everything else. I’m using a strat with single coils and a 68 Princeton reverb. My best Jerry tone comes from using the bridge pickup, with the proton set up as follows:

Gain: nearly maxed out
Peak: 12:30-1:00
Decay: 3:00ish
Tone: nearly 9:00ish

Volume on the guitar is maxed and tone is rolled off to about 5-6. This seems to work very well for me and the pedal triggers nicely. If you have humbuckers in the bridge, you may not need as much gain from the pedal.

Be patient with this pedal, it’s truly great. Take your time and dial it in. You don’t need the micro mutron iii to sound like Jerr-Bear. Especially considering how much people want for these pedals second hand. There is a guy trying to sell one on reverb right now for 600 dollars. It’s fucking stupid.
Thanks so much for taking the time out to get me oriented with the Proton. Looking forward to getting it on the board hopefully if it arrives by Boxing Day. I aim to place it where I have my Q-Tron Micro right now which is as close as I believe I can have it in my chain which goes:

TC Elec Polytuner -> Digitech Freq Out-> Origin Effects Slide Rig Compressor -> Clyde Deluxe Fulltone Wah -> 3 Leaf Proton -> EH Pitch Fork -> EH Soul Food -> EH Big Muff Triangle -> EH Small Stone Phaser -> Digitech Ventura Vibe -> Keeley Dynatrem -> TC Elec Flashback II Delay -> EH 260 Looper

BTW the sheer madness some of the prices I have seen for the new limited-run Mutron IIIs as well second hand and will not even mention the prices of some of the vintage original ones, which can be a nightmare to maintain on top plus a source of worry at gigs. I imagine the patience learned from getting the Q-Tron dialed in will serve me well with the Proton as well and I am looking forward to the expanded sonic palette the Proton seems to offer as well.

Again much appreciated the detailed reply and settings suggestions. Likewise to PurpleTrails for the boost suggestions on the solos as OBEL at this stage is not a reality. I did try to boost at some point early on with the EH Soul Food which I run clean as my boost, but again the Q Tron was a tad too sensitive for it that even that tended to push it to the point of break up or overly adversely disrupted the quack of envelope filter tone. I am hoping the Proton is more forgiving and flexible here with my clean boost if necessary, but given it unlike the Qtron Micro has its own Gain knob built in, I imagine the boost may not even be even necessary. Half the fun here, of course, will be the search to find out.

Time to bust out a host of 1979 slammin' fall tour Shakedown's, 1981 Scarlet -> Fire's and 1977 - 78 Estimated and Dancin's to tweak the Proton to.

Thanks again to both for the info and all the best of the Holiday Season to you and yours.

-HS
 #163894  by PurpleTrails
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:17 pm
healthy_scratch wrote:
Benjamos86 wrote:Yo Healthy Scratch. I have the V3 proton. It also can be a very touch sensitive pedal. One setting may or may not work well from one rig to another. There was a time where I was getting frustrated with the pedal, as i felt I could not get a real true Jerry tone out of it. But you just have to spend some time with it and put it as close to the front of the signal chain as possible. I used to try and put a booster in front of it and I actually feel like this was working against me. Currently my chain goes: Crybaby, Octron, then the proton followed by everything else. I’m using a strat with single coils and a 68 Princeton reverb. My best Jerry tone comes from using the bridge pickup, with the proton set up as follows:

Gain: nearly maxed out
Peak: 12:30-1:00
Decay: 3:00ish
Tone: nearly 9:00ish

Volume on the guitar is maxed and tone is rolled off to about 5-6. This seems to work very well for me and the pedal triggers nicely. If you have humbuckers in the bridge, you may not need as much gain from the pedal.

Be patient with this pedal, it’s truly great. Take your time and dial it in. You don’t need the micro mutron iii to sound like Jerr-Bear. Especially considering how much people want for these pedals second hand. There is a guy trying to sell one on reverb right now for 600 dollars. It’s fucking stupid.
Thanks so much for taking the time out to get me oriented with the Proton. Looking forward to getting it on the board hopefully if it arrives by Boxing Day. I aim to place it where I have my Q-Tron Micro right now which is as close as I believe I can have it in my chain which goes:

TC Elec Polytuner -> Digitech Freq Out-> Origin Effects Slide Rig Compressor -> Clyde Deluxe Fulltone Wah -> 3 Leaf Proton -> EH Pitch Fork -> EH Soul Food -> EH Big Muff Triangle -> EH Small Stone Phaser -> Digitech Ventura Vibe -> Keeley Dynatrem -> TC Elec Flashback II Delay -> EH 260 Looper

BTW the sheer madness some of the prices I have seen for the new limited-run Mutron IIIs as well second hand and will not even mention the prices of some of the vintage original ones, which can be a nightmare to maintain on top plus a source of worry at gigs. I imagine the patience learned from getting the Q-Tron dialed in will serve me well with the Proton as well and I am looking forward to the expanded sonic palette the Proton seems to offer as well.

Again much appreciated the detailed reply and settings suggestions. Likewise to PurpleTrails for the boost suggestions on the solos as OBEL at this stage is not a reality. I did try to boost at some point early on with the EH Soul Food which I run clean as my boost, but again the Q Tron was a tad too sensitive for it that even that tended to push it to the point of break up or overly adversely disrupted the quack of envelope filter tone. I am hoping the Proton is more forgiving and flexible here with my clean boost if necessary, but given it unlike the Qtron Micro has its own Gain knob built in, I imagine the boost may not even be even necessary. Half the fun here, of course, will be the search to find out.

Time to bust out a host of 1979 slammin' fall tour Shakedown's, 1981 Scarlet -> Fire's and 1977 - 78 Estimated and Dancin's to tweak the Proton to.

Thanks again to both for the info and all the best of the Holiday Season to you and yours.

-HS
I wouldn't put a boost in front of the autowah, but I also think there are better choices than the soul food for Jerry tone. I had one on my board for a while but ultimately dropped it. I switched to a Fulltone OCD, which I feel is a bit more balanced than the soul food. I also run a FET preamp pedal that I use to fatten up modulation effects that is really clean, but it's overkill for most leads. It's after the dirt in my chain. Jerry did something similar for a while.

I know you said you use the board to play non-Jerry stuff, but I would probably avoid putting the compressor in front of the proton. Can't imagine you would have it engaged while running the proton, but I would also worry about the feed coming out of it in any case. I don't have any experience with that one, but a lot of compressor pedals are kind of noisy, and EF like as clean of a signal as possible.