#96959  by hippieguy1954

hippieguy1954 wrote:The Jim Dunlop M120 Mxr Auto Q comes really close to Mutron.
Sorry everyone, but now that I've had a chance to compare the MXR M120 and the Proton side by side, the Proton blows the MXR 120 away.
 #96975  by jkstraw

Hippyguy I am really glad to hear you say this :-) After hearing the clips of the proton I picked one up and I LOVE it! Good to hear that others feel it nails that mutron III vibe.
 #97023  by hippieguy1954

jkstraw wrote:Hippyguy I am really glad to hear you say this :-) After hearing the clips of the proton I picked one up and I LOVE it! Good to hear that others feel it nails that mutron III vibe.
Hey jkstraw, I had to return the Proton I was tryin out to my friend. Now I want one really bad, and have to wait till sometime in May when they are available again. Anyone want to sell me one???
 #98652  by Arnold's Carnival

I recieved my Proton on Wednesday. WOW! Very authentic MuIII tones. Seemed darker/warmer and more "chewy" than other EF/AW pedals i have tried (Qtron, Qtron+, Emma, SWAW). Test axe was a '61RI SG, non-OBEL and buffer at front of pedal chain. This one is the keeper for my setup!! :peas:
 #99087  by hippieguy1954

I've had the Proton for about 3 weeks now and it just gets better now that I got use to the settings. It really nails it! MuIII and better! It's got a home on my board too.
 #99104  by Arnold's Carnival

i have been running the Proton on my Voodoo Pedal Pwr @ the 12-14.5v setting which seems to give the pedal a slighlty different feel/response.

The Proton can run from 9v to 18v safely. Anyone else running higher than 9v?
 #99144  by redeyedjim

Based on what I read in this thread and 3 Leaf's YouTube clips, I recently picked up a Proton pedal and I gotta say I'm pretty pleased with it -- it has a great tone (as pretty much everyone in this thread has mentioned).

I did email the developer, Spencer, with the 9V vs. 18V question, and he said, "It's a subtle difference that's hard to describe. You'll have to try it for yourself and see what you think. I run mine at 12v."

So...take that for whatever it's worth, I guess. I haven't had the opportunity to run mine at anything other than 9V yet, but I hope to dig up the right power supply soon. Or maybe I'll just try it with a pair of 9V batteries :smile:
 #100698  by Griz

Just curious about the sweet spot settings folks are using.
Which pickups are you using, and are you dialing the volume and tone back?

I was using the Otto Filter, and am trying to get used to the Proton.

Thanks
:smile:
Griz
 #100707  by hippieguy1954

Griz wrote:Just curious about the sweet spot settings folks are using.
Which pickups are you using, and are you dialing the volume and tone back?

I was using the Otto Filter, and am trying to get used to the Proton.

Thanks
:smile:
Griz
As with most envelope filters, there has to be a strong signal in order for it to respond well. Unless you have the OBEL installed, the volume for the pick up you are using with the Protron, has to be all the way up. The tone can be rolled off a little. I use the middle or bridge pickup, but am always open to suggestions too. :smile:
 #110697  by redeyedjim

Boston_Patriot wrote:Bump

Anyone have any input of 9v vs 12v vs 18v ??
I have run mine at 9v and 18v and didn't notice a great difference, but I'll include all three voltages when I make the demo I mention in the other thread. That will be at least another week due to my Proton having to go in for repair*, so if someone else posts a demo before I get to it, great!

* I don't know what happened, but I am not ready to blame the unit yet; it could have been something I did, though I'm not sure what.
 #163787  by Mithrandir

I have one of these. Curious, what do the settings for your sweet spot look like. I know it depends on your guitar but I’d like to see someone else’s interpretation of the best settings to dial in a mutron.

Mith
 #163878  by healthy_scratch

Hello,

I have the 3 Leaf Audio Proton V3 headed to me in the mail that I just ordered. I was also wondering what settings people might be dialing in to get ideal Jerry tone coming out of it?

I have been using a Q-Tron Micro and though I could get some pretty spot on Jerry tone out of it, I have grown tired of how sensitive it is and its standard limitations. Do not get me wrong it has served me well but it is limited in fine tuning. I always found I had to drop my amp volume to use it otherwise it would distort horribly.

Anyhow, I am now looking forward to the Proton as I could not find the limited edition run of the Beigel Mutron IIIs (which sound absolutely killer) but they are just too scarce to ever make it here to Spain or even online second hand in Europe is a tough find. Anyhow, thankfully there was a 3Leaf vendor in Barcelona who will be hooking me up over the Holidays.

Really what I am looking for is some dial settings to orient me out of the box. Yes, I know it all depends on amp guitar Pups etc. I get it. I got a convincing Jerry tone on the Q Tron Micro in the following way, hopefully, someone with a Proton can guide me similarly:

Qtron With Strat and Hot Rod Deluxe Settings:

Guitar: Fender Strat American Standard 1996 modded with a Humbucker in bridge
Pups: Neck and Middle Strat Standards (ones included originally) Bridge Pup: Lollar Imperial
Amp: Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Pedal: EHX Q-Tron Micro

Q tron Settings
Mode: HP
Q: 9:00 - 10:00
Drive: 2:00 - 3:00

Again for me this has been one severly sensitive pedal and really depended on the day of the week as to what these settings might sound like, hence the ranges in the Q and Drive settings. These tended to be the standards I used to dial in for Jerry.

I always preferred the Q Tron with the Bridge pup and when I put in the Lollar earlier this year this, this phenomenal Humbucker worked even better with the Micro. I love the Lollar at the Bridge makes my Strat so much more versatile, before I had a Pearly Gates here which was not bad, but the Lollar is flat out awesome and has pushed my Strat to a level of flexibility that I appreciate.

So for Shakedown, Estimated, Fire etc. I play the bridge pup with the tone rolled off to about 6 - 8 on the bridge pup. Guitar volume at 7 - 8 for rhythm I could push it to 9 if I needed a boost when soloing, but sometimes even that would cause tone to break up and hit distortion. Amp on a clean setting, Volume on the Hot Rod Deluxe for Qtron Micro use no more than 3 usually otherwise it would distort the Qtron tone and I loathed that. I usually play on the Hotrod Deluxe at 4 when playing with band with every other pedal besides Qtron.

Anyhow, looking for any similar guidance on hitting Jerry tone with the Proton. I would appreciate as well any other extended cool tone settings for playing with the Proton V3 as I use the Envelope filter in other settings as well especially on Stevie Wonder tunes and standard wah tunes when I have to sing.

I did see a couple of Vids on YouTube which sold me on the pedal itself, in particular the one by Mike Hermans which was cool with a variety of nice different sounds. But as is usual for standard pedal reviews exolicit Jerry inspired tone was not really dabbled with here.

I appreciate any guidance anyone here might have to offer here. Many thanks in advance.

-HS
 #163882  by Benjamos86

Yo Healthy Scratch. I have the V3 proton. It also can be a very touch sensitive pedal. One setting may or may not work well from one rig to another. There was a time where I was getting frustrated with the pedal, as i felt I could not get a real true Jerry tone out of it. But you just have to spend some time with it and put it as close to the front of the signal chain as possible. I used to try and put a booster in front of it and I actually feel like this was working against me. Currently my chain goes: Crybaby, Octron, then the proton followed by everything else. I’m using a strat with single coils and a 68 Princeton reverb. My best Jerry tone comes from using the bridge pickup, with the proton set up as follows:

Gain: nearly maxed out
Peak: 12:30-1:00
Decay: 3:00ish
Tone: nearly 9:00ish

Volume on the guitar is maxed and tone is rolled off to about 5-6. This seems to work very well for me and the pedal triggers nicely. If you have humbuckers in the bridge, you may not need as much gain from the pedal.

Be patient with this pedal, it’s truly great. Take your time and dial it in. You don’t need the micro mutron iii to sound like Jerr-Bear. Especially considering how much people want for these pedals second hand. There is a guy trying to sell one on reverb right now for 600 dollars. It’s fucking stupid.
 #163883  by PurpleTrails

No first hand experience with the Proton, but great explanation of what you do with the Micro Qtron. Your setup and approach are pretty similar to what I do with my Qtron+, though I still have the Pearly Gates in the bridge of my SSH strat, and run through a silverface twin. I also default to the bridge + middle setting for a little more quack a lot of the time.

On the proton, you may need to run the volume maxed out to make sure you hit what seems to be a fairly narrow engagement point. Without a buffer/OBEL setup I'd probably run a clean boost/OD pedal to get your lead tone.