#174564  by caspersvapors

Been watching some of Christopher Hazard’s 4k remasters of the Grateful Dead movie and from what it looks like, the stagger on Jerrys pickups is very flat.
Its hard to tell even in 1080p but thats what Im seeing, leading me to wonder if these were really taken out of a strat, or were they taken out of a Mustang? Or did Irwin or someone at Alembic just take some Strat bobbins and parts but custom wind a flat stagger pickup?
 #174566  by Slewfoot2000

I recall reading from Waldo that he shielded the pickups themselves. Not sure if that was done on the top of the pickup itself or the interior of the pickup cover. The shielding essentially raised the cover so the so the staggers weren't as apparent.

The bigger question is were they mid-1950's pickups or early-1970's pickups? Waldo mentioned they have more of a mid-1950's stagger. Supposedly the Numbers Strat may have had mid1950's pickups and possible they could have been installed into the original Wolf. Or Irwin just put in stock Strat pickups that were available. Tough to say unless we hear something definitive from Irwin or the crew.
 #174567  by caspersvapors

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:03 am I recall reading from Waldo that he shielded the pickups themselves. Not sure if that was done on the top of the pickup itself or the interior of the pickup cover. The shielding essentially raised the cover so the so the staggers weren't as apparent.

The bigger question is were they mid-1950's pickups or early-1970's pickups? Waldo mentioned they have more of a mid-1950's stagger. Supposedly the Numbers Strat may have had mid1950's pickups and possible they could have been installed into the original Wolf. Or Irwin just put in stock Strat pickups that were available. Tough to say unless we hear something definitive from Irwin or the crew.
With all due respect to Waldo, and not to turn this into a thread about him, but I have a hard time believing he would have access to the pickups that were removed from the guitar almost 50 years ago.

the shielding point I guess makes sense because the pickups look pretty high
Last edited by caspersvapors on Fri May 26, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #174569  by Slewfoot2000

caspersvapors wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:29 am
Slewfoot2000 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:03 am I recall reading from Waldo that he shielded the pickups themselves. Not sure if that was done on the top of the pickup itself or the interior of the pickup cover. The shielding essentially raised the cover so the so the staggers weren't as apparent.

With all due respect to Waldo, and not to turn this into a thread about him, but I have a hard time believing he would have access to the pickups that were removed from the guitar almost 50 years ago.

the shielding point I guess makes sense because the pickups look pretty high
He was going by zoomed in photos...highly doubt anyone knows the current whereabouts of the original pickups.
 #174570  by caspersvapors

NeilG1 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:30 am Mid 50’s stagger as per Waldo.
Bareknuckle will make you Apaches with that flat stagger BTW. Sound amazing for gator/Wolf 1.0 tones
Ive always wanted to try the Apaches but Im pretty settled on the pickups in my 2 strats. Oddly enough Ive never been into flat stagger Strat pickups. They sound oddly vacant to me. Like em on a Tele though..
 #174571  by NeilG1

caspersvapors wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:00 am
NeilG1 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:30 am Mid 50’s stagger as per Waldo.
Bareknuckle will make you Apaches with that flat stagger BTW. Sound amazing for gator/Wolf 1.0 tones
Ive always wanted to try the Apaches but Im pretty settled on the pickups in my 2 strats. Oddly enough Ive never been into flat stagger Strat pickups. They sound oddly vacant to me. Like em on a Tele though..
I have them in my Suhr strat with a Waldo '72 buffer. They sound amazing to me. Bell clear, articulate, low output A3 tones. Really couldn't be happier with them. But it's not like I'd cycled through a whole bunch of others before.
 #174574  by Jon S.

I got:

Sorry, this page isn't available.
The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram.
 #174575  by NeilG1

Strange. Works for me.
Waldo just posted another pic of wolf 1.0 pickups. In caption says Rick Turner had said they never played around with pole pieces. Something to that effect.
And that Irwin, Turner and Frank Fuller say they were Strat pickups
 #174577  by Jon S.

Do y’all have Instagram accounts? If yes, my issue is likely that I don’t (no worries regardless).