#174206  by Jon S.

I've been having problems with this forum's messaging system for some time now and it's ongoing now.

I'll send you a Conversation (PM) on The Gear Page and let's take it from there, thanks.
 #174208  by BoogieMK2

lbpesq wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:17 am …. What I’ve been trying to figure out (unsuccessfully) is if there is a way to use it as a preamp into a more powerful power amp? I’d love to run it into my Carvin Mach 100 Stereo power amp pedal, then into a couple of 1x12 cabs loaded with K120s.

Bill, tgo
Just use the Superblock line out to a bigger amp. Get an XLR to 1/4” if needed. Select FRFR for no speaker sim. You get all the SBUS tone shaping and reverb. The FX out gives you the tone stack and limiter, should drive a bigger amp.

My normal gigging amp is a Mesa Express 5:25+ with a Tone Tubby Winterland. Flexible, takes pedals, not too heavy and plenty loud. Occasionally I use the Mark IIA (60W) but only if the place is big enough. I
likely will us the Superblock next Saturday in this small bar, maybe line out with no speaker since we have IEMs. Too many choices.
 #174209  by lbpesq

Using the FX out will lose the reverb which comes after the FX loop in the signal path. If I wanted to run the XLR out straight into a power amp, would I need to do some impedance matching?

Bill, tgo
 #174210  by Darkstar860

Oh by the way i replaced the fan on my ART SLA-1 with a silent fan that moved even more air. I never even tried the unit with the stock fan. Id read people complain about the volume of the fan. Replacement fan was $14 on Amazon i think. But someone else mentioned their ART model wasnt that bad of fan noise, especially for live use. But that would be the one thing to change with the ART SLA-1.
 #175286  by Mando_Nate

Darkstar860 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:34 pm
AaronW wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:11 pm Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

What power amps (besides McIntosh) is everyone using?
Im really happy with the ART SLA-1 power amp im using. 100watts per channel. I have channel 1 hooked up to the top speaker and channel 2 going into bottom speaker in my cab. I have the sound guys mic my bottom speaker, so i can adjust my stage volume if needed adjusting the top speaker without it effecting the what the sound guys are trying to do.

The power amp is small and light weight but its reliable and sounds great with the SMS. When i emailed SMS and asked them which power amp they would recommend, this is the model and brand they mentioned in the email they sent me back. So i went with what they suggested and i have zero regrets.

I have a Furman in my rack case as well. I like the head case i found for mine. It looks like a standard guitar head from a distance.

Theres my full setup with my 2 main guitars at the moment and my board.
Hey Darkstar, Do you have a pic of the back of your rig? how are you hooking the SMS>ART>Cab? Speaker wire? 1/4"jack?
ssmug liked this
 #175289  by Cumtax

Mando_Nate wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:21 pm
Darkstar860 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:34 pm
AaronW wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:11 pm Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

What power amps (besides McIntosh) is everyone using?
Im really happy with the ART SLA-1 power amp im using. 100watts per channel. I have channel 1 hooked up to the top speaker and channel 2 going into bottom speaker in my cab. I have the sound guys mic my bottom speaker, so i can adjust my stage volume if needed adjusting the top speaker without it effecting the what the sound guys are trying to do.

The power amp is small and light weight but its reliable and sounds great with the SMS. When i emailed SMS and asked them which power amp they would recommend, this is the model and brand they mentioned in the email they sent me back. So i went with what they suggested and i have zero regrets.

I have a Furman in my rack case as well. I like the head case i found for mine. It looks like a standard guitar head from a distance.

Theres my full setup with my 2 main guitars at the moment and my board.
Hey Darkstar, Do you have a pic of the back of your rig? how are you hooking the SMS>ART>Cab? Speaker wire? 1/4"jack?
what's the Fender wooden head?
 #175290  by Darkstar860

A modded out Hot Rod Deville. I plug into the effects loop on this to bypass the preamp section and the amp sounds like a Fender amp. But i gave it away recently to a friend who needed a head unit over his combo.

Also im using the Milkman pedal amp. I love it. For me its not dark at all, i get the snap that my SMS or my other Fender amps get and the thing is so much easier to bring to shows etc. I love my SMS but im digging the Milkman. Great reverb. ONE THING, take out the stock tube it comes with. That tube was taking away from the tone, i put an RCA in it and WOWZA! Huge change in tone. Ive run the Milkman thru all my different speakers with grand results. Its nice when i dont want to carry a heavy amp and i can just bring a 1x12 cab with me and this pedal. I dont even need any effects to do a lot of the Early Dead stuff. If i need to ill bring my Micro-Tron. But the boost on the Milkman is REALLY good. Im sold on it.
 #175355  by perljam

I have the Milkman 100. I mainly use it as a backup, although I did use it as my main amp for a while.

One note is that the 100 sounds quite different than the 50. I've never played the 50 but watch a demo between the two and was shocked at how different they sound. Based on that, I would only recommend the 100 for Jerry tones at volume. The 50 is voiced more like a lower powered amp, with less headroom.

As for the Sarno - it might work going into the Milkman, but that's running one preamp into another. There's no 'power amp' mode on the Milkman. It would work, but that's not how it is designed to work.
 #175384  by Darkstar860

strumminsix wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm The SMS is awesome. Run something like a Neunaber Iconoclast after that for a headphone!

The Milkman is very dark. I wouldn't run one. Had it for 2 days. NOPE. Couldn't make a bright tele sparkle.
^ Did you put a better tube in it ? I found mine opened up BIG time with an RCA 12ax7 NOS tube. The JJ that came with it was dull.
 #175387  by strumminsix

Darkstar860 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:30 pm
strumminsix wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm The SMS is awesome. Run something like a Neunaber Iconoclast after that for a headphone!

The Milkman is very dark. I wouldn't run one. Had it for 2 days. NOPE. Couldn't make a bright tele sparkle.
^ Did you put a better tube in it ? I found mine opened up BIG time with an RCA 12ax7 NOS tube. The JJ that came with it was dull.
Heard a dozen folks say it was warm and dark. My experience matched and didn't think to upgrade the tube. Maybe one will show up again in the future :)
 #175388  by Darkstar860

Thru my JBL E-120s, its def NOT a dark amp imho or at least to my ears. But before i changed the tube out, i def agree it didnt have that sparkle. I love the unit and im debating using it over my SMS for an upcoming gig on my bday later this month. :-) I still love my SMS, but for ease of travel, its amazing what this lil thing can do. Also ive been messing with the preamp out going to my ART SLA-1 power amp and getting some crazy tones. I do wish theyd put a mid pot on one of there models of these tho ;-)
strumminsix liked this