#173969  by ssmug

So, I have a Mu-Tron III+ that I love, but was curious about the MicroTron, mostly for the size, and picked up a MicroTron III.

For me, they sound nothing alike. The MicroTron is kind of harsh/trebly, and sounds more on the funk side of things. Like, too hi-if if that makes any sense. Maybe it’s the speed of the envelope?

I’ve changed the jumpers, adjusted the trim pot, but it just isn’t working for me compared with the III+, which sounds much, much more authentic to my ears.

I’m sure I could do something with an EQ pedal, but I’d just stick with the III+.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what did you do?
 #173970  by Darkstar860

Youve tried the different chips you can install ? Theres 3. Gold, Red and yellow i think ? Someone else can help me here. But those are for the Micro-Tron IV. Not sure if the III utilizes these. I found that when i first got my IV, i didnt like it all that much. But i needed a repair and when i got it back it sounded just like my Tru-Tron III. Was very weird, i took it as i must have gotten a bum unit or board etc. Someone else should be able to fill you in on if the III takes these boards or not. If so this might be the reason. THe different color boards sound different. Maybe you have one thats not to the tone your chasing. But i do have to say my IV was not all that good to my ears or my dynamics until i sent in for repair. Now this thing as i said sounds like my Tru-Tron, takes up less space and is 9v. Pretty good stuff. :-)

Hope you can figure it out
ssmug liked this
 #173971  by Bigfoot Co.

Just wanted to say that I had the same experience. To me, the microtron iii lacked the syrupy goodness that’s inherent to the original. I found the quack to be too aggressive for my personal taste. Same story with the IV.

I sold the microtron iii long ago. Currently I have an original m3, the Microtron IV, and a silver box qtron that I did the r32 and volume mod on. The micro sits, while the big boxes get all the play. Gotta say to my ears the silver qtron is pretty darn close after the mods.I played it last night and it just crushed.

Ymmv of course, just one guys opinion on the internet. I know some people love the Microtrons.
ssmug liked this
 #173972  by ssmug

Darkstar860 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:08 pm Youve tried the different chips you can install ? Theres 3. Gold, Red and yellow i think ? Someone else can help me here. But those are for the Micro-Tron IV. Not sure if the III utilizes these. I found that when i first got my IV, i didnt like it all that much. But i needed a repair and when i got it back it sounded just like my Tru-Tron III. Was very weird, i took it as i must have gotten a bum unit or board etc. Someone else should be able to fill you in on if the III takes these boards or not. If so this might be the reason. THe different color boards sound different. Maybe you have one thats not to the tone your chasing. But i do have to say my IV was not all that good to my ears or my dynamics until i sent in for repair. Now this thing as i said sounds like my Tru-Tron, takes up less space and is 9v. Pretty good stuff. :-)

Hope you can figure it out
Thanks. Unfortunately the chips are for the IVs, not the IIIs. Otherwise, that would have been my next option.
 #173974  by TRG

Bigfoot Co. wrote:Just wanted to say that I had the same experience. To me, the microtron iii lacked the syrupy goodness that’s inherent to the original. I found the quack to be too aggressive for my personal taste. Same story with the IV.

I sold the microtron iii long ago. Currently I have an original m3, the Microtron IV, and a silver box qtron that I did the r32 and volume mod on. The micro sits, while the big boxes get all the play. Gotta say to my ears the silver qtron is pretty darn close after the mods.I played it last night and it just crushed.

Ymmv of course, just one guys opinion on the internet. I know some people love the Microtrons.
Same. I had both the III and the IV. The IV was a bit better than the III after installing the red card, and I really wanted to like it, but ultimately went back to the big box QTron with the R32 mod. It just sounds much better to me (depth/fullness of the quack sounds right).

What is the volume mod you reference here if you don’t mind sharing?
Bigfoot Co. liked this
 #173980  by Darkstar860

^ Wait a sec. Id like to know about this mod ;-) Please fill me in on this if you would. :-)
Id love to know what some of yall are doing to your Micro-Trons

Also ive been trying to find what i need to do to mod my Q-Tron+ with the R32 mod. What is needed to do this ? Anyone have some instructions ? I really want to put this Q-Tron+ back to use and after seeing the video of the unit with this mod im very very interested in doing this.
 #173983  by Bigfoot Co.

The R32 mod is specific to the old 90s silver box eh qtron pedal. It is simply changing resistor r32 from stock value (47k? Can’t recall) to 68k. Results in a more mutron like sound , I think it relaxes the quack just almost exactly perfect.

I believe Waldo was the trailblazer on that one.

The volume mod (also old qtron specific, 90s big box) is a pot added before the output jack intended to attenuate the signal out. This helps when you use the boost setting for adjusting to unity.

I don’t know about mods for the qtron +. There are two pedals with this name, the old silver box with purple / pink script from the 90s and the newer current version. I imagine the older silver box version would probably be ok with these mods, but I’ve never had one so I don’t really know. the newer pedal no idea.