#170875  by Jon S.

When we lose all ability to laugh at and accept (strengths and warts) ourselves and others, we shrink our worlds. I, too, am sorry to see you go. Extremely so, actually, because I've benefitted your thoughtful gear opinions and like you personally. I'd have thought our many prior exchanges, both in the main forum and through PMs, demonstrated this. As a result, I'd begun to think of you not merely as an internet annonymity but as a new friend with whom we could be lighthearted together. It hadn't occurred to me that the one, maybe two posts you've construed differently would suffice to negate everything else. If I should have, I apologize. But if you're truly as upset now as your departing words say, I respect your decision and wish you well. P.S. I never even saw your cookie analogy and still haven't (sorry, I don't read every post by everyone here). Just so you know.
 #171773  by franklins_timmy

Think I'm going to finally grab a set of the Bootstrap '54 Vintage Sparkle. I've held off because they break from the common specs for pup sets from that era... using enamel instead of formvar & winding them to ~5.6k instead of ~6k. For anyone who has the Bootstraps or knows pickups, are those changes going to make much difference?
 #171774  by lbpesq

franklins_timmy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:16 pm Think I'm going to finally grab a set of the Bootstrap '54 Vintage Sparkle. I've held off because they break from the common specs for pup sets from that era... using enamel instead of formvar & winding them to ~5.6k instead of ~6k. For anyone who has the Bootstraps or knows pickups, are those changes going to make much difference?

Most people believe that Formvar has a little more high end and works quite well with Strats. Others describe Formvar as having a cleaner, more open sound. The difference is subtle and both can result in good sounding pickups. Also, today’s Formvar is not the same as that used in the 50’s and 60’s.

According to Seymour Duncan’s research, the average ‘54 Strat pickup measured 5.76k and had 7956 winds, so the Bootstraps at 5.6k are closer than 6k pickups.

Are you looking for ‘54 spec Alnico 3 wound with Heavy Formvar?

Bill, tgo
 #171782  by lbpesq

I had someone ask for a couple of sets of Alligator style pickups, then change their mind about the stagger after I had ordered the appropriately sized A3 magnets with vintage bevel. (In ‘54, Fender Strat necks, like the neck on Alligator, had a 7.25 radius). As a result I have the makings for ‘54 spec with Heavy Formvar. I do make one deviation from the ‘54 spec. In 1954, Fender had the G string pole a little lower as many people at the time used a wound G. By ‘56, they had raised the G pole a little to accommodate a plain G string. I use the ‘56 G pole spec. I can wind a set for you but I can’t match the Bootstraps price. I don’t know how they can make PUs for $49 a set without cutting some corners somewhere. I’ve read about a few people ordering them here fairly recently, but I’ve yet to read about anyone receiving them and posting a review. I am certainly curious and would look forward to a hands-on review of the Bootstraps.

Bill, tgo