#168477  by LazyLightning72

Hi folks,

For as long as I can remember I had always used Ernie Ball Super Slinky .009-.042

Not too long ago, I decided I wanted to branch out. At first I stuck with EB strings, and got the Cobalt 010-.046. Well I immediately liked them, they played better, felt better and sounded better.

I also tried a pack of the Elixir Strings Nanoweb .010-.046, which I did not like. They lasted about a week, I just didn’t like the feel. And I guess I have battery acid leaking from my fingers, because the coating had already started to break down. At least that’s what it looked like.

Since then I have started trying out different D’Addario strings. Currently my Wolf and 60s CV both have the nickel wound .010-.046. Which I have also liked, though I believe I want to try a slightly heavier gauge. I also have a pack of their Chromes flat wound .010-.048 that I’m going to try on my Wolf this week.

I know Jerry played Vinci strings .010 -.046 and sometimes using a .011 on the High e.

I have this in the Jerry Tone section, but it’s more of a general question. Just wondering what your go to strings are either way?

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Edit- I’m obviously talking about electric guitar strings primarily, but I also wouldn’t mind hearing what you guys go for with your acoustic?
 #168483  by wabisabied

I’ve mainly used D’Addario strings and honestly just haven’t been motivated to experiment with others in a long time. Nickel wound 10-46 for electric and phosphor bronze 12-53 for acoustic. It ain’t broke so, you know.

I’m on my second set of coated phosphor bronze for acoustic, and I think I like them. My G string breaks down way quicker than my other strings, and I was looking for better longevity. They sound good to me and don’t seem to break down as fast. Or maybe I’m just not bending so much.

I’m interested to read what others use and why.
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #168505  by Searing75

I used to use Vinci 10’s, but they no longer are making strings. I now use D’Addario’s. Nickel wound 10’s. I bought some steel wounds, and plan on giving them a shot here soon.
 #168507  by Jon S.

Curt Mangan nickel wound 9.5s.
 #168508  by LazyLightning72

Searing75 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:39 pm I used to use Vinci 10’s, but they no longer are making strings. I now use D’Addario’s. Nickel wound 10’s. I bought some steel wounds, and plan on giving them a shot here soon.
I would have liked to have played with the Vinci strings, before they stopped making them. I am also considering the next time I change strings (whichever I end up using next, I have some variety atm and just ordered a few .012 sets) trying the way Jerry did, using the same gauge he did, while using a .011 on the high e.

Would that concept work for a larger overall gauge set? Say I put a set of .011s on, and use a .012 on the high e, is it the same concept?
 #168509  by Jon S.

In past discussions, I'm been in the minority here regarding string gauge.

I choose my strings based on how they feel to me on the specific guitars I'm playing, the metals they're composed of, and how long they last for me. What doesn't influence me are supposed tonal differences between string gauges.

Every analysis of this that I've personally experienced reinforces me focusing on other aspects of my rigs for tone, not the string gauge (other than perhaps how string gauge impacts my fingers and touch, though, unlike the diameter of one's strings, one's technique is adjustable to diverse settings; also, depending on one's touch, the relative intonation characteristics of different string gauges may be relevant).

In addition to my personal experience, a couple of explanatory videos follow (there are many more). This being said, of course, I understand that there's a huge psychoacoustical element to tone.

Everyone's heard the expression, "The audience hears with their eyes." That's why we try to dress and move on stage like rock guitarists, not accountants.

In appropriate settings, we - not figuratively, literally - hear our expectations due to how our brains and auditory systems are wired.

Last edited by Jon S. on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #168510  by NeilG1

Forgive me if I’m way off here - I always thought that string gauge selection was somewhat constrained for a given guitar by the depth/width of the slots in the nut, and by your set up. Like, a change of gauge could mean needing to modify the nut, and/or get a new set up? For this reason, I’ve never played around with gauge too much on an individual guitar, but I do have different gauges on different instruments.
Am I over-complicating this?
 #168511  by Jon S.

In my experience, on electric guitars, if a guitar is set up for X gauge, e.g., 10's, you can often go up (11s) or down (9s) one gauge without worrying about the nut or even adjusting the truss rod. I, myself, have never needed to replace a nut under these conditions.
NeilG1 liked this
 #168512  by lbpesq

NeilG1 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:22 am Am I over-complicating this?
IMHO, yes. My experience is the same as Jon S. Go ahead and play around with different gauges. It will work until it doesn’t work, and if you can’t tell when it’s not working, that means it is working. And don’t be afraid of truss rod adjustments. If you know how to use a screwdriver, and can differentiate between clockwise and counter-clockwise, you can do truss rod adjustments quite easily. Just do a very little at a time, 1/8-1/4 turn at most. Remember, youtube is your friend.

Bill, tgo
 #168514  by Cosmopolis

For electric guitar I’ve been having good luck with Daddario NYXLs.
For acoustic guitar I like Daddario phosphor bronze.
I use different string gauges depending on the guitar and its’ scale length
 #168516  by LazyLightning72

Cosmopolis wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 pm For electric guitar I’ve been having good luck with Daddario NYXLs.
For acoustic guitar I like Daddario phosphor bronze.
I use different string gauges depending on the guitar and its’ scale length
That’s what I’ve been using on my acoustic as well.
I’ve been happy branching out from Ernie Ball strings, so far the Daddario sets I’ve used have played great. I got hung up and haven’t put the flat wounds on yet, but sometime this week I’m sure.
 #168535  by LazyLightning72

So I tried the pack of D’Addario flat wound .010 strings last night, don’t like them at all.

Going to put a pack of Ernie Ball Cobalt .010s, or some other D’Addarios on tonight.