#167822  by LazyLightning72

Ok I thought it couldn’t hurt to look. I must be typing something wrong into searches. It always comes back with results for pedals, and amps.

That small black piece on the bottom left of the picture above, has this very tiny + inside the blue box. Is this what I’m supposed to be turning clockwise to adjust the gain?

If so is it something I can do with everything on, so I can hear the difference? Or should I kill power to the guitar while adjusting it?
 #167823  by lbpesq

That does indeed appear to be a gain trimpot. Think of it as a little tiny volume knob, because that essentially it what it is. No problem adjusting while the guitar is “on” and plugged into an amp. Just make small adjustments and don’t force anything. Personally, I’d probably prefer it set near unity gain.

Bill, tgo
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #167824  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:48 am That does indeed appear to be a gain trimpot. Think of it as a little tiny volume knob, because that essentially it what it is. No problem adjusting while the guitar is “on” and plugged into an amp. Just make small adjustments and don’t force anything. Personally, I’d probably prefer it set near unity gain.

Bill, tgo
Thanks for the confirmation Bill!
How would I know if it’s set to unity? Also I’m assuming this will only make a minor adjustment.

I will give it a try a little later, and let you guys know how it worked.
 #167826  by lbpesq

Unity gain means that the signal going in is the same strength as the signal coming out. In other words, when set at unity gain, the preamp won’t be increasing the volume of the guitar. So the guitar won’t sound “louder” but will still sound “fuller”. A lot of this is subjective. Just play around with higher and lower settings until something sounds good to you. Then live with it for a while and readjust as needed.

Bill, tgo
 #167828  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:08 am Unity gain means that the signal going in is the same strength as the signal coming out. In other words, when set at unity gain, the preamp won’t be increasing the volume of the guitar. So the guitar won’t sound “louder” but will still sound “fuller”. A lot of this is subjective. Just play around with higher and lower settings until something sounds good to you. Then live with it for a while and readjust as needed.

Bill, tgo
Makes sense, I guess it’s time to start learning how the guts of a guitar works, instead of just playing it.

Mrs. LL is not going to be happy the next few days, lol!
 #167829  by LazyLightning72

Ok,
I turned it back and could hear the crackle and hissing stop completely. It also mellowed out the muddied sound, which sounded like clipping to me. Anyhow, that seemed to help a good bit, got much better tone just turning it a half turn. Which was actually almost all the way.

I need to lower the Bridge and middle pickups which I know from experience will also help.

As I was doing it I got to thinking, for The last 6 years of playing I’ve been working with 3 single coils (and had not played for 10-15years prior, because of an accident) I haven’t had a humbucker much less two of them since I was in my 20s. I had forgot that you don’t need to turn it all the way up to get a good tone. In fact just the opposite, and it can even make clean tones sound distorted if you push them to high.

Now all I have to do is check and adjust my relief (if necessary), and set my preferred action and pickup height.

Oh and find a pedal that doesn’t go out of stock while I’m putting a few odds and ends in the cart. Lol!
 #167830  by LazyLightning72

Went ahead and got the Q Tron +, doubt I’ll not like it compared to the micro.

Should be here by Friday!

Now back to work getting all I need to use the Obel.
 #167831  by Gr8fulCadi

The qtron+ is extremely capable of pulling off a good Jer envelope filter tone. It too was Mike Beigel’s design. Can do the Dancin’ filter as well. I have one, it is big, but the tone is there.
 #167832  by LazyLightning72

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:06 pm The qtron+ is extremely capable of pulling off a good Jer envelope filter tone. It too was Mike Beigel’s design. Can do the Dancin’ filter as well. I have one, it is big, but the tone is there.
I’m really excited to finally have one. Been on my “wish” list for some time, in one form or another.
 #167833  by LazyLightning72

Well the relief was fine for my taste and I did some personal adjustments to both the action, and pickup height, which also helped reduce the “bark”. Now the neck is quick and very enjoyable to play.

I really need to focus on getting the OBEL hooked up now, while I’m still in the 45 day “grace” period for returns.
 #167877  by LazyLightning72

Been having a lot of fun playing with the Q Tron+, I’ve got fairly close to some Jerry type tones.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Back to the Obel now, I meant to ask this in the beginning and just forgot. Is it possible to check that it works correctly, without buying the junction box, etc...?

Or is that a fool’s errand?
 #167880  by PurpleTrails

Yeah, just get a 1/4" female stereo/TRS to two 1/4" female mono Y adapter to connect the OBEL to the send & return on your board. That will likely run you $5 or so, but they are prone to failure over time.
 #167881  by LazyLightning72

Thanks,
I plan to get the junction soon, just thought it may be easier and cheaper to do an initial test beforehand.
 #167923  by LazyLightning72

Since it’s all related, I figured I’d just ask in this thread.

I decided to look and see exactly what Jerry used for pedals, aside from the Mutron.

It listed the Mutron, Mu-Tron Octave Divider, a Vox (sometimes Colorsound) wah, and an MXR Analog Delay.

I’m trying to keep this setup as simple as possible, but effective. As I said I currently have a Fender Mustang II amp. Which I will be replacing with something different very soon. The Mustang fell into the all I could afford at the time category. I just don’t see a modelling amp being best suited for this setup.

As for the pedals, now that I have the Q Tron +, I’m looking at getting a MXR Analog Delay. or should I get one of the others listed first?

Thanks again!
Chris