#167802  by LazyLightning72

Hi folks,
I know it’s question after question from me recently, sorry about that.

This is the first time in ages I’ve been able to upgrade and add some things I’ve wanted for a while.

Now that I have the Eastwood Wolf, with an OBEL, I want to get the envelope filter and eventually a new amp to replace my current Mustang II.

I’d like to work on the pedal first since I at least have an amp, that I can change at a later date.

I had dialed in some semi decent (and that’s stretching it) envelope tones through the Mustang II. Using the Fuse software, but nothing to write home about.

I keep seeing two come up when this question is asked:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+ Envelope Filter Pedal
And
Electro Harmonix Micro Q Tron Envelope Filter Pedal

Are these the best options still, or is there any new models worth mentioning?

I want to buy new, if that matters.
I’d also like to keep it in the $200.00 range, if possible.

And as far as the OBEL, what do I need to make it all work correctly? I understand it’s purpose, just don’t know what cables/cords I need. I also have read you need a junction box.

In the past I have dialed in some semi decent (and that’s stretching it) envelope tones through the Mustang II using the Fuse software, but nothing to write home about.

As always I appreciate any help with this.
Hope you all had great weekends!
Chris
 #167803  by Jon S.

I expect others will chime in with further options but myself I've been using HubBub (Godfrey Daniels Guitar Works) junction boxes and cables for many years. They've never let me down! In fact, I'm thinking of copping a 3rd HubBub junction box from Godfrey now that he also offers the Stage Pro that accommodates both Obel guitar and a second regular guitar or other auxiliary instrument at the same time with a footswitch to toggle between them. His Stage Pro and cable combo are $245 for both.

http://hubbubpedal.com/shop/

LazyLightning72 liked this
 #167805  by NeilG1

I’ll add Brian White from IO Guitars (MiloBender on here) as a great source for obel boxes and cables too.

I think there are a bunch of envelope filter threads on here to look at. I have a QTron + that I really like, but I know it’s not the “gold standard” so to speak.

Enjoy the new axe!
 #167806  by lbpesq

Personally, I prefer the Micro Tron over the Plus. I don’t need all the bells and whistles on the Plus and I’m not willing to give up that much pedal board real estate for a pedal that doesn’t get used all that much. That said, I think you would be happy with the sound of either. And, having tried numerous envelopes, I think either would give you the best Jerry tones of any envelope under $200.

Bill, tgo
 #167809  by augustwest1

Re the OBEL: you might want to open up the back of your guitar and check the wiring against the schematics posted at Dozin. HubBubs are not compatible with that wiring schematic. It's a simple fix, but still.

Brian, at IO guitars, makes cables/boxes that are compatible with the Dozin schematic.
Last edited by augustwest1 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #167810  by tdcrjeff

"Buy nice or buy twice" is certainly a valid adage, but there are other less expensive methods. Having an integrated double cable (one TRS for the OBEL send/receive, one TS for the guitar out) and a junction box like the Hub-Bub (or Brian White IO) is certainly nice to have, but it's not the only way.

As an alternate approach you can buy (or make) a simple TRS split box like this:
https://reverb.com/item/2543702-trs-to- ... eo-guitars
And use any TRS-to-TRS cable for the OBEL in/out and just a regular ol' TS 1/4" cable to go to the amp. One disadvantage is that you are now tethered to both your pedal board and your amp at the same time. The TRS cable goes to that junction box at your pedal board, and the mono guitar out goes straight to your amp. With the Hub-Bub type approach both cables go to your pedal board and then an additional mono cable goes from pedal board to amp.
Last edited by tdcrjeff on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #167812  by LazyLightning72

Thanks for all this information guys, it’s very helpful.

I’m in that 45 day no questions return window, you guys think taking the back panel off would void anything? I might just send Michael at Eastwood an email, I found a few things that need to be addressed.

The master volume and and middle tone knobs turn effortlessly, however the bridge tone knob is fine for the first 1/4 turn, then becomes stiff. I’m sure that’s an easy fix.

Also I almost blew my eardrums out using headphones last night. It’s like the pickups are all breaking up and get muddy sounding, way before they are turned all the way up. I remember reading that a few people had to make adjustments to them to bring the “bark” down. I’ve just never done anything like that so I’ll need to look it up to see if it’s something I feel comfortable doing.

I did get the bridge turned around and the intonation just needs some minor adjustments, this I do know how to do.

I also need a replacement brass ring, mine was already showing signs of tarnish out of the box. Again if he sends a replacement that’s an easy fix too. Don’t get me wrong tarnish/patina gives character, but I want it to come from me playing it, if that makes sense.

Again thanks guys, back to tinkering
Chris
 #167813  by TI4-1009

Taking off the plate to look at the electronics should definitely not void a warranty! You will find a little adjustment (gain) screw on the buffer. Maybe mark its position or take a photo for reference then back it down slightly to smooth out the "bark".

I have the dual cable and junction box from Andrew at AO guitars, works like a charm.

http://www.aoguitars.com/pricing-5
 #167814  by LazyLightning72

TI4-1009 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 am Taking off the plate to look at the electronics should definitely not void a warranty! You will find a little adjustment (gain) screw on the buffer. Maybe mark its position or take a photo for reference then back it down slightly to smooth out the "bark".

I have the dual cable and junction box from Andrew at AO guitars, works like a charm.

Thanks I’ll give that a try in a little while.
You guys have all been so helpful, it’s great to see the Dead Head community is still there for each other!
Chris
Jon S. liked this
 #167816  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:17 pm Personally, I prefer the Micro Tron over the Plus. I don’t need all the bells and whistles on the Plus and I’m not willing to give up that much pedal board real estate for a pedal that doesn’t get used all that much. That said, I think you would be happy with the sound of either. And, having tried numerous envelopes, I think either would give you the best Jerry tones of any envelope under $200.

Bill, tgo
Thanks Bill,
I was originally leaning towards the +, but after reading your comment and looking up the Micro, it seems it will do the job perfectly and for less, without sacrificing quality for price.

I have one In the cart over on reverb waiting to put a couple other things in before finalizing the order.
 #167817  by lbpesq

The only pedal I would recommend over the EHX Micro-Tron is the Mu-Tron Micro-Tron IV (new) or the Mu-Tron Micro-Tron III (used). All of these, the EHX and newer Mu-Tron units, were all designed by Mike Beigel, the guy who designed the original Mu-Tron III used by Jerry, Stevie Wonder, and Bootsy Collins back in the day. But you are very unlikely to run into any of these in the $200 range.

Bill, tgo
NeilG1, LazyLightning72 liked this
 #167818  by Jon S.

augustwest1 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:33 pm Re the OBEL: you might want to open up the back of your guitar and check the wiring against the schematics posted at Dozin. HubBubs are not compatible with that wiring schematic. It's a simple fix, but still.

Brian, at IO guitars, makes cables/boxes that are compatible with the Dozin schematic.
Not the first time I've heard this and I'm sure you're correct. FWIW, the HubBub works fine with all 3 of my OBEL guitars. One Leo Elliot (Scarlet Fire Guitars) built. The other two Phil Jacoby (Philtone Guitars) built or modded. In Phil's case, he used schematics for the wiring that we found on-line . I'd thought at least one of these two guitars use the Dozin OBEL wiring but it wouldn't be the first time my memory's played tricks on me.
 #167819  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:09 pm The only pedal I would recommend over the EHX Micro-Tron is the Mu-Tron Micro-Tron IV (new) or the Mu-Tron Micro-Tron III (used). All of these, the EHX and newer Mu-Tron units, were all designed by Mike Beigel, the guy who designed the original Mu-Tron III used by Jerry, Stevie Wonder, and Bootsy Collins back in the day. But you are very unlikely to run into any of these in the $200 range.

Bill, tgo
Mike Beigel did the Electro-Harmonix Micro Q-Tron too iirc. It’s hard to beat the price, and have yet to see anyone disappointed by it. Hopefully I’m not the first, lol!
 #167820  by LazyLightning72

TI4-1009 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 am Taking off the plate to look at the electronics should definitely not void a warranty! You will find a little adjustment (gain) screw on the buffer. Maybe mark its position or take a photo for reference then back it down slightly to smooth out the "bark".

Ok this is a bit new to me, where should I be looking? Or is this an if it was a snake I’d been bit already type deal? Lol
Part of me is thinking it’s that small black rectangular piece on the bottom left, but I’m touching nothing till I know.