#167746  by Jon S.

Absolutely not directed at anyone specific (including myself :oops: )! Just sharing a bit of what I think is generally helpful food for thought.

#167750  by Jon S.

It shows on my computer but not my phone - strange. Thanks for apprising me of this and let me try again when I’m back home.
 #167751  by Jon S.

#167753  by Jon S.

I’m so sorry. I’ll see if I can find a workaround.
Last edited by Jon S. on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #167754  by Jon S.

Nothing else worked so I did a print screen, cropped the jpeg, and uploaded it to my imgbb account. This should succeed ...

#167755  by Jon S.

And may I respectfully repeat:

• absolutely not directed at anyone specific
  • just food for thought
 #167756  by lbpesq

One of the most famous musicians in history, recognized as an immensely talented multi-instrumentalist on keys, guitar, and especially bass, is also famous for not really caring about the particular instruments he plays. In fact he is most famous for playing what many consider a mediocre bass. Of course I’m talking about Paul McCartney! All the custom shop and boutique instruments in the world are no replacement for fingers.

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #167757  by PurpleTrails

Jon S. wrote:Nothing else worked so I did a print screen, cropped the jpeg, and uploaded it to my imgbb account. This should succeed ...

When it comes to TGP, most of the time I've thought it pretty much full of blowhards playing "lawyercasters," as a custom builder friend once said. While there are a lot of knowledgeable folks there, many others seem to be people arguing about how many tone angels fit in the figured wood of a guitar. I avoid the place unless a search takes me there.
 #167759  by Jon S.

PurpleTrails wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 pmWhen it comes to TGP, most of the time I've thought it pretty much full of blowhards playing "lawyercasters," as a custom builder friend once said. While there are a lot of knowledgeable folks there, many others seem to be people arguing about how many tone angels fit in the figured wood of a guitar. I avoid the place unless a search takes me there.
As of right now, The Gear Page is showing 190,678 members, 970,850 threads, and 20,672,550 posts (really). There's a ton of knowledge there and some awesome folks. I've made many good friends there. But it's true you have to be willing to separate the wheat from the chaff. If one can't or won't, it's probably not going to be his cup of tea.

On the subject of professions, careful on the stereotypes. Blowhards come in all shapes and sizes. I'm myself a retired environmental attorney - 34 years in civil enforcement. Here's an example of my work: https://gwujeel.files.wordpress.com/201 ... ermits.pdf I chose the profession because I wanted to make the world a better place. That's also one of the reasons for my music. Working hard and living frugally has enabled me to own some nice guitars, including a Tiger and a Wolf, that others who don't understand might themselves deem frivolous.
lbpesq, jalevinemd liked this
 #167760  by lbpesq

I, too, am an attorney. I've spent over 30 years fighting for cannabis law reform and defending people busted for cannabis. I was a co-author of California's Prop. 215, the nation's first medical cannabis legalization law. And my guitar credentials include that I've been playing since I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I build my own guitars and basses. Saw the Dead with Pigpen and attended over 150 shows.

"Lawyercasters" my ass! lol

Bill, tgo
Jon S., TI4-1009 liked this
 #167762  by NeilG1

I have a close friend to whom I sometimes talk about being insecure about the relative mismatch between my playing skill and some of my gear ;)
His words are wise - anything that gives you more joy while playing, will make you play more. And that's never a bad thing!
Different strokes.......
Jon S., Jblue76 liked this
 #167774  by lbpesq

jalevinemd wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:50 pm What exactly is a "Lawyercaster"?

What every Jewish mother wants her son to play if he doesn't play a "Doctorcaster"

hehehehe

Bill, tgo (who can post this as he was Bar Mitvahed)