#167508  by Bear62

I would concur that 6v6s are a completely different beast than 6L6s. Another consideration is what guitar are you playing. I used to go to some open dead jams and whenever I plugged my Jerry style buffered guitar into a deluxe reverb it had that thin sound, yet passive guitars sounded great.
 #167511  by Weirwolf

I'm on the same search for an ultra clean lots of headroom amp. Almost pulled the plug on both a Lil Dawg and an Allen Accomplice. But the FYD looks sweet too.
Lil Dawgs are the lightest for a combo (32-35 lbs) and lots of great reviews but also a few older posts on thegearpage that mention some floor noise. Only a few though.
Allen's have the Raw control which sounds like a tone stack lift or a mid control that helps with cutting through. I think around 40 lbs and the FYD combo's are 45-50 lbs (I think).
All great amp builders. Good luck! I've been searching for a used one myself.
EDIT: sorry didn't realize you just wanted a head, not a combo...
 #167512  by Jon S.

Weirwolf wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:00 pmAllen's have the Raw control which sounds like a tone stack lift or a mid control that helps with cutting through. I think around 40 lbs and the FYD combo's are 45-50 lbs (I think).
If you want a FYD with a tweed-style tone stack lift that's adjustable (not exactly the same as the Allen's raw control but similar), order the JG Special Reverb, not the Tripps.

And yes, a JBL loaded FYD 1X12 combo is almost exactly 45 lbs.

#167515  by Jon S.

Searing75 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 am The only “raw control” I know of is designed to alter negative feedback in the amps circuit.
That's not how the raw control works on Allen Amps. Rather, it progressively lifts the tone stack from the circuit. (It's the presence control that, on most amps that have them, alters the amount of negative feedback.)
Searing75 liked this
 #167517  by tdcrjeff

Jon S. wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:31 amAnd yes, a JBL loaded FYD 1X12 combo is almost exactly 45 lbs.
Unless it's an E120. ;-)
(assuming yours still has the D120 from when you bought it here)
 #167519  by Jon S.

tdcrjeff wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:40 pm
Jon S. wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:31 amAnd yes, a JBL loaded FYD 1X12 combo is almost exactly 45 lbs.
Unless it's an E120. ;-)
(assuming yours still has the D120 from when you bought it here)
You, Sir, are correct. :D
 #167524  by franklins_timmy

Weirwolf wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:00 pm and lots of great reviews but also a few older posts on thegearpage that mention some floor noise. Only a few though.
Yep, that's what I have seen about the Lil Dawgs too. Plus how great Jim & his customer service is. I like a quiet amp, so that's what I am hoping to find out about.

Would be going with 6l6s, trying to decide on 25 or 35 watt version. All things equal how much more headroom will you get with 35 watts compared to 25? Or could you have the 25 watt biased cooler & get closer to the 35 watt headroom?
 #167535  by caspersvapors

franklins_timmy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:46 am
Weirwolf wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:00 pm and lots of great reviews but also a few older posts on thegearpage that mention some floor noise. Only a few though.
Yep, that's what I have seen about the Lil Dawgs too. Plus how great Jim & his customer service is. I like a quiet amp, so that's what I am hoping to find out about.

Would be going with 6l6s, trying to decide on 25 or 35 watt version. All things equal how much more headroom will you get with 35 watts compared to 25? Or could you have the 25 watt biased cooler & get closer to the 35 watt headroom?
You dont want to bias your amp cooler because then its just not going to sound good.
 #167566  by franklins_timmy

Was able to get in contact with a forum member on another site who has a 25 watt Wonderdawg with 6l6s. I asked him about the noise floor because that is my concern with the amp. Other than that it gets great reviews, sounds really good in clips, and the customer service seems to be top notch. He said there is hiss with the Volume at 2.5 that gets louder as you turn up & hum starts to come in around 6,7. Doesn't sound like it is too quiet of an amp. For those of you that have/had a FYD combo how does the noise floor compare to that? There just is not as much info out there on FYD amps as Lil Dawg amps.

Thanks
 #167567  by Jon S.

franklins_timmy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 pm Was able to get in contact with a forum member on another site who has a 25 watt Wonderdawg with 6l6s. I asked him about the noise floor because that is my concern with the amp. Other than that it gets great reviews, sounds really good in clips, and the customer service seems to be top notch. He said there is hiss with the Volume at 2.5 that gets louder as you turn up & hum starts to come in around 6,7. Doesn't sound like it is too quiet of an amp. For those of you that have/had a FYD combo how does the noise floor compare to that? There just is not as much info out there on FYD amps as Lil Dawg amps.

Thanks
Quick reply for now. When I can get back to my FYD combo, I'll add to this if there's anything relevant to add.

In my experience, when you eliminate the 60 cycle hum through however you do it along with the noise your pedals add and ensure your line voltage is clean, you may well find that what you thought was a noisy amp isn't really the amp at all.

My pedalboard (a Line 6 M13) includes a global noise gate. Mine is turned on always and set to taste. It's amazing how much it quiets down the "amp." Well, actually it's not amazing - it's why they exist.

When I'm wailing through my amp, no one's hearing the underlying noise, not me or anyone else. It's when you stop playing that it can be annoying. And that's where well-regulated voltage (I also have a Furman voltage regulator, though I use it primarily for my PA system), well-shielded electronics, and a noise gate make all the difference in the world.

My 2 cents. Others' experiences may vary (if yours do, please post 'em).
 #167596  by Weirwolf

As far as Lil Dawg Amps and noise goes I can confirm that when I contacted them and asked about noise potential, Jim said that the noise from his Amps could be due to power issues outside of the amp as Jon S just stated.
I'm still looking for a clean 6L6 amp myself!! Recently got a Carr Rambler(!!!) and it's nice and vintagey sounding but not nearly enough headroom for some clean Jerry (or Kimock type) tones.
Still doing research and trying to be patient.
Saw on TGP that Jon S has a Reverend Hellhound.... How's the headroom on that?? Assuming it's more for blues that Jerry?
 #167597  by Jon S.

Weirwolf wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:16 pm As far as Lil Dawg Amps and noise goes I can confirm that when I contacted them and asked about noise potential, Jim said that the noise from his Amps could be due to power issues outside of the amp as Jon S just stated.
I'm still looking for a clean 6L6 amp myself!! Recently got a Carr Rambler(!!!) and it's nice and vintagey sounding but not nearly enough headroom for some clean Jerry (or Kimock type) tones.
Still doing research and trying to be patient.
Saw on TGP that Jon S has a Reverend Hellhound.... How's the headroom on that?? Assuming it's more for blues that Jerry?
I LOVE my Reverend Hellhound. It's a flat out great amp for all sort of music. Here's a couple of examples of me (on the right with hat) using it for a country-ish/rockabilly version of Mustang Sally (laugh all you want but when the ladies are happy, everyone's happy :-) ) and a blues tune. I'd have no issues using the amp also for Dead. It's got a Fenderish tone stack - turn up the treble, turn down the bass, and set the mids to taste (with, for clean tones, the remarkably musical sounding master volume full on and gain set to taste).

#167599  by mkaufman

tdcrjeff wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:29 pm
Jon S. wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:55 am(laugh all you want
Can we laugh at you for stepping on your cord and pulling it out? :P :lol: :-)
Been there, done that! Many times...

ace
Jon S. liked this