#167422  by franklins_timmy

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these amps? I know some of you have had the Fyd TRP, anyone know anything about Lil Dawg Amps? How do these two amps stack up against each other? Are they both a good choice... or does one have better tone, is one noisier than the other, one just a better overall build, etc..? Fyd is a few $$ hundred more. Thanks
 #167423  by Jon S.

>> Fyd is a few $$ hundred more.

Curious - what are the two builders' charges for comparable preamps and/or heads?

I own a both FYD preamp and a combo. I've never played Lil Dawg amp, though.
Last edited by Jon S. on Fri May 22, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #167424  by Jon S.

Oh, and this may help you. Pics below of my FYD's (1st pic) and (from Lil Dawg's webpage) Wonderdog chassis (2nd pic) (what the actual plural of chassis is I haven't a clue! :oops: ).

#167427  by franklins_timmy

Hey Jon

Thanks for the pics. I don't know enough about handwired p2p to know what I'm looking at, ha! Just have been wanting to get a p2p AB763 cifcuit for awhile. Both are built on a Princeton chassis. The cost just for chassis & reverb...

Wonderdawg - 25 watt, $1084 + shipping
TRiPs - 22 watt, Dan said all his combos run $1700 to $1900 + shipping but would discount $350 since I just want a chassis. TRiPs comes in 44 watts too, also said he can pretty much do anything.

Just wonder if one is better than the other or if they're pretty evenly matched...
 #167432  by Jon S.

Not sure what "TRiPs" means but FWIW here's my FYD combo. It's running a pair of Tung Sol 5881's for I would guess around 35W. It has a switch that lifts the tone stack (perfect for someone like me who likes playing Dead and other music, too, such Allman Bros. (regular and slide). That combined with the knob labeled "Tweed" (that functions sort of like a continuously variable bright but that's a simplification) yields a diverse range of practical tones.

#167457  by Searing75

Both Amps follow a similar circuit design, and are made to sound like a classic Fender. They will be nearly indistinguishable in my opinion.

The plural for chassis is chassi. Lol.
 #167460  by Jon S.

Searing75 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:17 am Also consider the SMS classics pre amp with the Jerry mods. It’s what I currently use, and I love it.
Me, too, in addition to my two FYD rigs (combo, and preamp w/McI). (Time to search for, "How to Declutter Your Studio" :oops: ).

#167461  by franklins_timmy

Searing75 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:15 am Both Amps follow a similar circuit design, and are made to sound like a classic Fender. They will be nearly indistinguishable in my opinion.

The plural for chassis is chassi. Lol.
Any experience with either, does one run a little quieter than the other, better overall build...?

And thanks fellas for the info
 #167462  by Jon S.

The SMS preamp is a printed circuit board (PCB) design with digital reverb. It's smaller/shallower (1U/shallow) and lighter than the FYD preamp.

The FYDF preamp is a hand wired on a turret (circuit) board with tube-driven spring reverb. It's larger/deeper (2U/full size) and heavier than the SMS preamp.

Both units have essentially the same, publicly-known JG's preamp mods (there may be some differences).

In my view both units sound great. You really can't go wrong with either.

Myself, I'm pairing my FYD with a McIntosh MC50. The MC50 sits on top of the FYD which is in a Gator 2U long plywood hard shell. The SMS, as you can see in the pic in an earlier post, is paired with a Carvin DCM-200L power amp where both are together in a Gator 2U short poly shell. I actually find myself grabbing the SMS/DCM200L unit more when I jam out because it's so small and lightweight (total combined weight is about 16 lbs.).
 #167471  by PurpleTrails

Jon S. wrote:
Searing75 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:17 am Also consider the SMS classics pre amp with the Jerry mods. It’s what I currently use, and I love it.
Me, too, in addition to my two FYD rigs (combo, and preamp w/McI). (Time to search for, "How to Declutter Your Studio" :oops: ).

The answer you seek is "reverb.com" or the gear for sale section here. :lol:
Jon S. liked this
 #167477  by Bear62

I have an FYD Trips 44 combo I’d be willing to part w/ sans speaker. There is one small tolex ding. Amp recently serviced. IM me if you are interested. Regards,

Gregg
 #167478  by Jon S.

Bear62 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 am I have an FYD Trips 44 combo I’d be willing to part w/ sans speaker. There is one small tolex ding. Amp recently serviced. IM me if you are interested. Regards,

Gregg
If you could possibly post a pic of the front control panel, I'm curious to compare it to my FYD JG Special Reverb combo (pictured above). Thanks.
 #167480  by Jon S.

Bear62 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:08 am Jon: Not sure how to get pics on here. IM me w/ your cell & I will text pics to you.

Gregg
It's quite simple and fast - all you need to do is upload your pic to any on-line site for pics - I currently use imgbb - copy the pic's URL, then click on the insert image icon above the box you're typing your reply into, paste in the URL, and submit your reply.

But it may be even easier (for us both!) if you could, instead, simply list your combo's controls, in your reply, from left to right.

E.g., for my FYD combo,: Tweed toggle, Tweed control, V, T, M, B, Reverb

Thanks again.