#167463  by Jon S.

From Eastwood's webpage:

Last year we brought the famous Wolf Guitar to Eastwood Custom Shop to the excitement of many Dead fans. That was 6 months ago - now all those happy people have it in their hands - and it exceeded everyone's expectations!

Now it's time to move on to the next model, The Tiger. We are planning to build the guitar in almost every detail* – including coil taps and effects loop – the final result will be a high-end, professionally playable instrument that you can take on tour yourself. This will be manufactured in our top Korean factory (not in China) and will have a true neck-thru design, not a bolt-on or set neck. You will NOT be disappointed in the quality. Those of you that received your Eastwood Wolf guitar will know what to expect! Also available in LEFT-HAND.

*NOTE: To hit this incredible price point we will NOT include the pearl body inlays on body front and back like the original.

Specifications:

COLOR: Walnut

BODY: Maple with Walnut Top and Back, Poly finish

NECK: Neck Thru, Basic C Shape, Maple and Walnut, dual truss rod

FINGERBOARD: Ebony, Binding, Pearloid inlays

SCALE LENGTH: 25.5"

WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8 "

PICKUPS: HS II, 2 x Super II

CONTROLS: OBEL Effects Loop, 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5-Way

HARDWARE: Wilkinson Nickel/Chrome matching Wolf Guitar with Brass p/u Ring

SPECIAL FEATURES: Built-in Transwarp Drive Preamp (Gain) with 9V Batt

CASE: Premium Gig Bag included

Final Price $1479 (less deposit) plus shipping. Your $200 deposit secures a Tiger Guitar for Fall 2020 delivery.

https://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/tiger-guitar/

#167466  by Jon S.

They’re obviously building to a price point but still, more Deadish affordable guitar options are always nice to see.
 #167470  by playingdead

Picture they showed when they were advertising their Wolf before it was produced:

What you got:

What they are showing now:

What do you think you are you going to get for $1479?

It ain't going to look like the picture this time, either. You get what you pay for. Plain walnut top. No brass binding. No Tiger inlay or detailing. No back inlay. Plastic fingerboard inlays. Plus wrong construction, wrong preamp, wrong electronics.

I find it pretty awful to use the picture of Doug Irwin's work to advertise a Korean-made knockoff guitar, especially to crowdfund the project where they already raised almost $17k in $200 deposits. I get it that not everyone can afford a handmade version, but come on. Plus, appropriating the logo, etc. I doubt they are giving Irwin any compensation.

Same deal with their $1299 Trey guitar. C'mon. They used this picture of Trey playing his Languedoc to raise $11k in deposits and most of these people probably expect it will look like the picture. Are they paying Trey or Paul Languedoc for using the image and guitar design? Do you think Trey or Paul would lend their names to the guitar?

They have spotted a cash cow and they are milking it.
ssmug liked this
 #167474  by ssmug

playingdead wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:40 pm Picture they showed when they were advertising their Wolf before it was produced:

What you got:

What they are showing now:

What do you think you are you going to get for $1479?

It ain't going to look like the picture this time, either. You get what you pay for. Plain walnut top. No brass binding. No Tiger inlay or detailing. No back inlay. Plastic fingerboard inlays. Plus wrong construction, wrong preamp, wrong electronics.

I find it pretty awful to use the picture of Doug Irwin's work to advertise a Korean-made knockoff guitar, especially to crowdfund the project where they already raised almost $17k in $200 deposits. I get it that not everyone can afford a handmade version, but come on. Plus, appropriating the logo, etc. I doubt they are giving Irwin any compensation.

Same deal with their $1299 Trey guitar. C'mon. They used this picture of Trey playing his Languedoc to raise $11k in deposits and most of these people probably expect it will look like the picture. Are they paying Trey or Paul Languedoc for using the image and guitar design? Do you think Trey or Paul would lend their names to the guitar?

They have spotted a cash cow and they are milking it.
I can't comment on the quality, but I was really disappointed in the aesthetics of both the Wolf and Trey guitars. I cannot imagine what the Tiger will look like.
 #167475  by Jon S.

playingdead wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:40 pmThey have spotted a cash cow and they are milking it.
Respectfully -

(1) In fairness, if we appy your conclusion, "They have spotted a cash cow and they are milking it," to every luthier and amp, effect, preamp, buffer, and/or hardware builder who is earning a living from copying, reverse-engineering, modeling, or being inspired in their products and designs by Grateful Dead gear, it would be a long list of primarily good people who I believe are doing what they do as much from love as profit. (I suspect from what I know of from your background and experience that you would agree this has truth to it.)

(2) Eastwood's efforts interest me not from a self-driven perspective of settled, middle class people like myself (or professional musicians) who can afford to pay, for example in my own case, a different luthier (who, per your analysis, is also profiting off of another's design), for a far more accurate and expensive Jerry guitar "clone." They interest me from the perspective of enabling less well off people, and younger guitarists, whose means and needs differ from yours or mine, to get their feet in the door. If these folks find "close" inspiring, I respect their choice.

(3) Your comments to beware that what you receive from Eastwood likely won't match their current picture are helpful and well-taken. Thanks for sharing them.
 #167476  by lbpesq

I have mixed feelings about the Eastwood guitars and all the copies that incorporate not only the design, but even the logo without any compensation going to Doug. And I certainly understand that the Eastwood instruments provide access to the less financially blessed heads. OTOH, if I were looking for a guitar to play Dead music on a budget, I would be more concerned with how it plays and sounds then with how it looks.

Bill, tgo
 #167510  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:46 pmNot only copying the Ibanez 2680 (the 2681 had the Tree of Life neck inlay) but they are using a photo of an actual Ibanez guitar to advertise it! I wonder what Ibanez thinks about it?
Don't misunderstand me. I get your point, and it's legit.

This being said, here's what I hope Ibanez thinks about it:

"Wow, there's a market segment actually ponying up now for reasonably-priced copies of our heritage guitars? Let's reissue them ourselves instead of sitting idly by while others fulfill the demand."
 #167537  by zkinard

Have the Eastwood Wolf and love it. If you go into the purchase expecting a "tribute" guitar and not an exact replica you will not be disappointed. It's a fantastic piece of work. The Eastwood staff if super responsive to questions and concerns I've found. I'd say if you're thinking about it, do it.

Cheers,
Zach
Jon S. liked this
 #167540  by broesau

Apparently they've changed the listing to a set in neck and removed the actual Tiger picture. I don't know how they can show pictures of the actual guitar, especially the Ibanez guitar.
 #167541  by Jon S.

How they're showing it now is an improvement, for sure: