#166789  by Abide

Hey all,

As a "questionable" bass player that has recently decided to take the guitar more seriously, I have a few questions that I am hoping some nice folks can help me with. I am in search of the "Jerry Tone." So....

1) I have a line on a Micro Q-Tron for a good price. From my brief research, I think that would be a good starter pedal. Thoughts?

2) I was fortunate enough to come across a Peavey Basic 212 for the princely sum of $0.00. Anyone have any experience with Peavey amps?

3) The other thing about the Peavey amp is that it *might* need some work. If i discover that the work is more $$$ than the amp is worth, what amp would you suggest? Remember, I'm just a dude learning/jamming on my own, so a small combo amp would do.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
 #166790  by lbpesq

The Q-Tron is an excellent choice. Designed by Mike Beigel, the same guy who designed the original Mutron.

I know little about Peavey amps, though I don’t recall anyone ever using one in any Dead jam I’ve played in.

A good small amp? I love the Quilter 101 Mini Reverb paired with the Blockdock 10tc cab - makes an excellent Fender-like small combo. Weighs only about 18 lbs., takes pedals well, and loud enough to keep up with a full band. If you look around, you should be able to score both for under $500.

Bill, tgo