#166039  by NeilG1

Hi all,
Sorry if this is a repeat or in the wrong place - I'm new here! Seems the search of old thread has a lot of broken links so some old conversations that may have helped me don't appear to be available now.
I've played guitar for 25 years, and haven't owned an electric in about 15. I'm looking on getting one soon, and hoping to go for a Jerry sound, while starting out on a low-mid budget. This will really be a home set-up, and I'm not going to be gigging with it or anything, but would like it to be able to hold up if I jam with a couple of friends.
First off is the guitar. I've been looking at a handful of used American Strats, and also some cheaper MIM options. I can't decide whether I'm better off going American at the higher price point, vs grabbing an MIM that feels good in my hands and having the cash available to invest in amp/speaker or combo, or even to mod the MIM down the road with better pups and electronics.
Do experienced folks around here have opinions on this? I've looked at G&L Legacy too, but honestly they sell for pretty much what the used USA strats do! I'm in Canada, and there's like a $500-1000 difference on an MIM and an American Pro Strat, so it's not trivial.

Second piece is the amp set up. I've been looking at trying to find a used Fender - deluxe reverb, princeton, or something else in that range. Otherwise, away from a combo, I've looked at a few options. I've been reading about the Quilter 101 mini reverb, and also some of these pedal-based amps, like the Frog Tube Fx1 or a Kingsley Maiden. There's a guy near me selling a MosValve MV-962 as well for a good price that I could buy.

I know this is pretty vague, and I'd happily clarify for people, but I'd love some opinions from experienced people. Again, I'm in to pursuing this, but am trying to keep it realistic given what will largely be home use in my somewhat clumsy, yet joyful hands!

Thank you all in advance for your help. I'm learning so much reading the stuff you all write.
 #166041  by strumminsix

HI! Even skipping the search you can still scroll down and find similar topics. Here's my opinion for a "starting point of very good JG" with easy to find, easy to sell, not gonna break the bank gear:
- American Strat with maple neck
- Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue

You could always swap the pickups to D Allen Voodoo 69 pickups.

You could also find either a boutique DR style amp building or go vintage.

But those 2 recs will get you into the ballpark.
Jblue76, NeilG1, joshq and 1 others liked this
 #166043  by PurpleTrails

I'd be at least tempted to go for a MIM strat that feels good, and maybe save some $$$ for some D. Allen 69 or fender custom shop pups, and maybe picking up a buffer to install an OBEL later. You also might want to invest in some pedals: some type of envelope filter to cover things where it's pretty essential like estimated, maybe a carbon copy delay, plus an overdrive. The DRRI amp recommendation is a good one, but there's nothing wrong with going the quilter route either.
NeilG1 liked this
 #166047  by GeneralGoldilocks

fender stratocaster, mim, mia, or mij, depending on how much money you want to spend.

fender blues junior, upgrade the speaker if you want to spend more money, next upgrade the pickups and get a buffer if you want to spend more.
NeilG1, Pointclear liked this
 #166052  by milobender

Fender Strat with good pups, Quilter Mach II, Jbl D or K120 and one of my Thick Air pedals( first stage is a very nice Stratoblaster type preamp). It'll get you well on your way.
Here's a test video I did yesterday. Hondo Strat with my pups in it, and the above. Mind you, I'm not going for a strict Jerry sound here, but Jerryesque ;o)
NeilG1, Pointclear liked this
 #166053  by NeilG1

Thank you!
Milobender- the work you do looks stunning. Very interested to see details on the Thick Air Pedal!

I’m now part way there. Just bought a mid 90’s G&L legacy - ash body, maple neck. G&L pups that were made with fender vintage 69’s in mind.
I think it’ll be a nice launchpad for future mods.
Now I need to find an amp. Likely a combo fender reissue unless a great deal comes up for the real thing.

Thank you all again!!
 #166054  by NeilG1

Hi all --
one additional related question.
I'm having a tough time deciding on building an amp vs buying a simple combo. Combo would likely be a reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb.
Build would again be on the simpler end - perhaps a Quilter amp (101 reverb or Mach 2), Milkman, or something similar, plus a good speaker. This would take a little more hunting and a little more money.
Do people have any strong opinions on this dilemma?
Thanks again - this advice is amazing,
N
 #166055  by Pointclear

Hi! Everyone is giving great advice. I just want add that a vintage Jbl d120, k120, or e120 in a vintage fender style amp is about the best baseline I could advice I can give. The Jbl speaker is pretty key.
I think the g&l strat is a great guitar, and platform for a Jerry type sound, but the amp and speaker are more important.
Someone recommended the reissue deluxe reverb, and made me want to recommend the 68 custom deluxe as well. I like the way it’s voiced a bit better than the 65 reissue. Seems to have more character.
 #166056  by lbpesq

Hi, Neil.

A big +1 on the Quilter idea. I've been playing for over 50 years and have run the gamut in amps, including:

60's Blackface Pro Reverb with JBL D120s
Mesa Mark I
Mesa Mark III
Alembic F2-B preamp > Mesa 50/50 power amp > 2 matching 2x12s loaded with JBL K120s
Pritchard Sword of Satori (a GREAT solid state amp)
F2-B > Carvin DMC200L > 2 matching 1x12s loaded with JBL K120s
and a bunch of others.

I recently picked up a Quilter 101 Mini Reverb to use as a backup. I was blown away! I have since bought a Quilter MicropPro 200 with the 8" speaker and a matching 12" cab with the neodymium Celestion speaker. The combo amp weighs 19 lbs., and the 1x12 cab is about the same. The sound is outstanding on both the 101 Mini Reverb and the Micropro 200, and I can't imagine an amp being any more convenient - just grab and go! My days of hauling around a 60+ lb. amp are over.

Bill, tgo
 #166064  by czyfingers

Neil- the one thing I've learned in 20 years of chasing this tone is that technique is the biggest factor in playing Jerry style. I've tried just about everything mentioned here and any of the rigs mentioned will do reasonably well but just pick one that suits your budget and needs and play. Don't get too hung up on the equipment. Because even with the most accurate rig you need the chops. I made the mistake of spending way to much time and money on this stuff and I still have a lot of it. Including a Wolf that I absolutely love. All that stuff is great if and when you can afford it, but I'm not here to give you a rig rundown. What I usually end up playing at home is a buffered Strat with voodoo 69s or a stock G&L Legacy>DRRI and they both sound great. I currently have a Vintage 30 in the DRRI because it's also my non Dead music amp, but I've had K and E JBLs in it and the combo works well. Even the Celestion sounds decent playing Jerry with the right guitar and if the amp is dailed in right. Not to further complicate things but the DRRI with the often overlooked and inexpensive JBL D123 combo works well for at home playing.
With all that said...it certainly won't sound right with a high gain Marshall and a Les Paul, but you don't need an MC2300 and a dead nuts Tiger replica either! Hope all that makes sense. Good luck!
Milobender- your playing and tone in the video sounds great! It's a perfect example of how different things will get you there and sound sweet in the process.
NeilG1, milobender liked this
 #166065  by NeilG1

Thank you - this is an important reality check to hear. One can definitely go deep down a rabbit hole pretty fast!
I'm settling in between a second hand DDRI (still can't decide 68 or 65!) or a great price I found on a Quilter 101 mini reverb that I'd build up with a cheapish cab and mid range speaker. Both could be done for under $1000 (I'm in Canada, so that's like 25 USD :) )
Then I'll take it home and play with it for 6-12 months and see where the music takes me!
Thanks to you and everyone else for their help
 #166066  by milobender

Very well put. Technique, in my estimation, is at least 85 - 90%. Although I have to say, after playing with Altecs for 30 years, and then Neomags for another 6, I think, after 10 years, now the JBL speaker is a real help, I love the clarity. The next point for me would be pickups. Some of the stock pups I've heard just have no life at all... but that's one of the things you can easily tackle as time goes on. For me, I prefer the blaster type on-board adjustable preamp over the straight buffer approach; it's more flexible if you want to play other types of tunes too.
czyfingers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:26 am Neil- the one thing I've learned in 20 years of chasing this tone is that technique is the biggest factor in playing Jerry style. I've tried just about everything mentioned here and any of the rigs mentioned will do reasonably well but just pick one that suits your budget and needs and play. Don't get too hung up on the equipment. Because even with the most accurate rig you need the chops. I made the mistake of spending way to much time and money on this stuff and I still have a lot of it. Including a Wolf that I absolutely love. All that stuff is great if and when you can afford it, but I'm not here to give you a rig rundown. What I usually end up playing at home is a buffered Strat with voodoo 69s or a stock G&L Legacy>DRRI and they both sound great. I currently have a Vintage 30 in the DRRI because it's also my non Dead music amp, but I've had K and E JBLs in it and the combo works well. Even the Celestion sounds decent playing Jerry with the right guitar and if the amp is dailed in right. Not to further complicate things but the DRRI with the often overlooked and inexpensive JBL D123 combo works well for at home playing.
With all that said...it certainly won't sound right with a high gain Marshall and a Les Paul, but you don't need an MC2300 and a dead nuts Tiger replica either! Hope all that makes sense. Good luck!
Milobender- your playing and tone in the video sounds great! It's a perfect example of how different things will get you there and sound sweet in the process.
NeilG1 liked this