#165939  by Pointclear

https://i.imgur.com/HdKbwQJ.jpg
I just brought this home!!! My first McIntosh..... and I can’t bring myself to tell anyone what I paid. It’s in excellent cosmetic shape and looks super shiny and almost dust free. I haven’t played through it yet, though I did a little research on it and it appears to be the next generation after the 2100 and 2105 that Jerry used some in the boogie/Travis bean period. Apparently it’s got a bit more wattage and a faster response, etc. The mc2125 also has a limiter that can be disengaged and a mono mode - which seems like a nice feature. What can anyone tell me about this model or about any mods or specific issues I should be aware when setting it up?
It’s right gain rheostat/pot is apparently a little touchy. I will probably replace the filter caps soon enough etc.
tntawney, tcsned liked this
 #165943  by tcsned

That's a nice one! Personally, I would resist doing any mods. It's a pretty clean looking amp. If something needs fixing then fix it but unless there's something about how it sounds that you are sure a mod is going to fix, I wouldn't monkey with it.
 #165944  by Pointclear

tcsned wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:10 pm That's a nice one! Personally, I would resist doing any mods. It's a pretty clean looking amp. If something needs fixing then fix it but unless there's something about how it sounds that you are sure a mod is going to fix, I wouldn't monkey with it.

I made that first post before I even tested it, and now, after playing it a bit, I totally agree with you. It sounds amazing. So warm and tube-like. It’s awesome.

I have been using a hk citation 16 power amp with my twin, and it’s great - big sound, very transparent, 3-d, and detailed. The Mac, however, has more voice - more warmth and tone of its own.
tcsned liked this