#165139  by Astro
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm
Hey Now!

I just recently purchased what I believe to be a Troy Post guitar. I was told it was a Troy Post and it certainly looks like his work, but there are no markings to indicate if it is indeed a Post guitar. His website is no longer active and I do not believe he is on facebook. Does anyone know how to reach him? I love for him to confirm he made it, and would love to know anything he remembers about making it, source of the woods, what inspired him on this guitar, etc. If anyone has a phone number or email address for him I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!
 #165160  by Poor Peter
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:08 am
Troy has seemed to fall off the radar. I picked up a guitar from him in 2013? at his home in Virginia. When I pulled up to his place you could hardly tell anyone was living there. His shop was bare bones and he told me he did a lot of the work at someone else's place. He also said he was working odd jobs and building on the side. I had some communication with him for a couple months after but it took him a long time often a couple weeks for him to respond. About a year or so later maybe longer, his phone number was disconnected. Im not entirely sure on my time line. I vaguely remember a girlfriend who may have been pregnant. Again im not entirely sure. I suspect based on my conversation with him and his situation that some of lifes responsibilities got in the way of his building . This is all speculation, but based on his demeanor and over all personality im not surprised that he seemingly has vanished. He was very quiet and unassuming. Almost and introvert in many ways. Either way I hope he is well...
 #165161  by TI4-1009
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am
These things happen, unfortunately. Doug Darling of Soulmate Guitars up near me made fantastic necks, had a long waiting list. He took a hiatus four or five years ago and has dropped off the radar too.

Troy made nice stuff. I saw a Jerrified SG style guitar he had made and I asked him if he could make me a lefty version. He said it was just a one-off and declined. For better or for worse that set me off on the quest to build my own from a Precision kit. Thanks for the inspiration Troy!

MikeInMarin liked this
 #165164  by tdcrjeff
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 pm
tntawney wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:53 pm
He sells once in awhile on Ebay. You can probably contact him through there. It looks like from his feedback he still buys stuff on there.
But nothing in last 3 months and only one purchase in the last year.
 #165167  by Jon S.
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:24 am
"You told me goodbye,
How was I to know?
You didn't mean goodbye,
You meant please don't let me go."

My first instinct, when someone "drops off the radar," is to respect his decision and give him his space.

But then I wonder if perhaps what it really is is a request to reach out. And the answer to that will change my direction.

I don't know Post personally nor have I ever had the slightest interaction with him so I'll defer to others who do or have for what's appropriate for him.
 #165170  by waldo041
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am
The industry may have ran him out. He was trying to make them at a workingmans price and that doe not work when you are a solo entrepreneur. With almost everyone expecting the "GD Hippy price" he probably worked himself into debt trying to appease and move his business further. I would suspect he pulled back to retool and refocus on a different business plan.

I do hope he is ok physically and financially even if he is not building guitars anymore. He was progressing well!

~waldo
 #165175  by kurt eye
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:42 am
I purchased my Wolf from Troy on Ebay in February 2017. He was nice to do business with.

I have a feeling life got in the way of his guitar-making. Hope he resumes.
 #165276  by MikeInMarin
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:11 pm
I have one of his older Wolf's that I got 3rd hand from an awesome dude here. And the original owner (Peter from Garcia's Birthday Band) was down here at Terrapin Crossroads with his band playing last year. I surprised him at the intermission with a picture of it on my phone and we had a great chat. Awesome Bobby player and great band.

I am really thrilled that I got a reasonably-priced tribute Wolf that Troy made. I would love to find a Tiger at some point that is not 15k and a year to wait.

We need more builders like Troy. I hope he is doing well.