#163677  by Reuben94
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:10 pm
Hey guys!

Thanks to waldo (thanks waldo :-) ) I got one of his buffers to my place in Germany last summer ! Because of other demands I just had the time now to take care of it! Together with the wiring diagram I brought it to a local tech and I just got the guitar back..now I wanted to compare it to the diagram and unfortunately for me (as a layperson) the wiring doesn't look right..

All the info about Jerry's guitar stuff I got from this great community here (thanks for the distribution of this valuable knowledge!!!), so I thought the best option would be to ask all of you about that.. - I attached a link to a photo of the cavity how it's looking now, hope that worked..
Thanks in advance and I hope you can help me out on this one :-)

[https://imgur.com/a/E2MlSJy]
 #163681  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:16 pm
I don't like the bottom of the buffer against the shielded cavity without insulation like that. Maybe I just can't see the insulation. Does it work?
 #163682  by Reuben94
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:43 pm
Thanks for the reply!
No, there's no insulation below the bottom. And when I plug it in there's some weird quiet sound kinda like a messy radio frequency.
Also, waldo's wiring diagram looks different in my eyes!
 #163683  by waldo041
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm
what diagram are you referring to?

~waldo
 #163684  by Reuben94
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:04 pm
Hey waldo!
It's the one I got from your website back in summer, called "Wald-Electronics Buffer Preamp Wiring (Pre-Volume Control)" !
 #163685  by waldo041
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:20 pm
Reuben94 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:04 pm
Hey waldo!
It's the one I got from your website back in summer, called "Wald-Electronics Buffer Preamp Wiring (Pre-Volume Control)" !
Hello,

Not sure why but your tech wired it POST volume control, which is fine with NO OBEL, but the opamp (LM356) is probably fried with no insulation as the instructions that came with the buffer stated. You will need to order and replace it if has been damaged and insulate that preamp by using a bag like you have done with the battery, or electrical tape or shrink wrap around it or mounted somehow so it wont short out.

Let us know how it works out!

~waldo
hippieguy1954 liked this
 #163686  by Reuben94
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:14 am
Thanks for your reply!
So indeed, it's wired in a different way in comparison to your diagram, that should be pre-volume control. Also I think the volume pot is still 500k.
Actually I definitely want to include an OBEL setup in the near future, so I have to wire it pre-volume control anyway.
I have no experience in this field, but after this outcome I rather try to do that on my own than giving this to a tech here (unfortunate when you're living on the other side of the Atlantic)!
I'll try it with sticking to the instructions posted here over the time (especially the one by MattMan some time ago!) - hope that works out fine!

Thanks,
Lars